Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 AM

347 posts, read 457,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenjen23 View Post
I am PRAYING I get a decent log number. 10 years of applying to affordable housing in CB1 and nothing has given yet
Wait in 10 years you haven’t win a single lottery or you won but don’t wanna move out the area please explain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 11:24 AM

347 posts, read 359,350 times
I don't think this is unusual; I've entered 97 lotteries and have never got a number low enough for a document request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierdenise View Post
Wait in 10 years you haven’t win a single lottery or you won but don’t wanna move out the area please explain

Old 09-20-2022, 11:39 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,410,522 times
Same I’ve applied to about 95 and only been called for 3 . Two higher AMIs and 1 with CB

Old 09-20-2022, 11:41 AM

271 posts, read 307,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierdenise View Post
I’ve never won a lottery, period! A few requests for documents but units filled by the time they reach me. Always waitlisted or don’t make enough..

Old 09-20-2022, 11:45 AM

With the amount of people who apply you’re truly lucky if you win one. Realistically the odds you win one are slim especially if you’re income is under 80AMI. I used to really get bummed when I had log numbers between 1-7k but tbh that’s not a bad number compared to how many people apply.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 PM

84 posts, read 65,756 times
Oh wow, I've only started applying last year and have been called for 8 so far. SVEN was the only building that denied me after I submitted my documents saying that I was ineligible which made no sense but I didn't care to appeal since it was in Queens. The most recent one from Harlem, I didn't even submit docs because the building was RIGHT next to the train station and I didn't like that.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darladarla View Post
Oh wow, I've only started applying last year and have been called for 8 so far. SVEN was the only building that denied me after I submitted my documents saying that I was ineligible which made no sense but I didn't care to appeal since it was in Queens. The most recent one from Harlem, I didn't even submit docs because the building was RIGHT next to the train station and I didn't like that.
Are you in a higher AMI?

Old 09-20-2022, 12:49 PM

84 posts, read 65,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Are you in a higher AMI?
Yeah, I usually fall into anything above the 100% AMI category. I think I've applied for 50 so far (including the lotteries that haven't closed yet) BUT about 4 years ago, when I applied on the old Housing Connect, I never got called back. I was probably in the 40% AMI... but i didn't know how it worked back then and probably only applied for a max of 3 places lol

Old 09-20-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I usually fall into anything above the 100% AMI category. I think I've applied for 50 so far (including the lotteries that haven't closed yet) BUT about 4 years ago, when I applied on the old Housing Connect, I never got called back. I was probably in the 40% AMI... but i didn't know how it worked back then and probably only applied for a max of 3 places lol
Ah okay yeah I've noticed the higher the AMI the better chance you have at getting a place.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:23 PM

644 posts, read 737,839 times
Quote:
Me too! I used to apply sporadically about 4 or 5 years ago. There wasn't much available in my income bracket. I didn't start applying more consistently until the beginning of this year. I have submitted docs for 4 buildings so far. The key is just being part of the higher AMI %100-130. Less competition there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery