Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 11:16 AM

300 posts, read 211,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGONG1857 View Post
i just heard this week asking for documents, im log 5XX! do you know how long it usually takes after submitting documents to hear an update? i dont want to get my hopes up but do you think i have a good chance?
I think this is weird because I have a log # of 1xx and have been under review for a year.

Last edited by mjg713; 12-05-2023 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 04:24 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
I think this is weird because I have a log # of 1xx and have been under review for a year.
It is a WAIT LIST presently. Yes?

Presumably, log#s are contacted when a vacancy occurs, but only it’s appropriate. If the min/max household size doesn’t qualify then they might skip to the next suitable log#. For AMI% we can hope they give a log# the benefit of the doubt because circumstances might have shifted a bit. The log# has to demonstrate that household income is suitable to the vacant unit.

Perhaps the unit that log# 5xx was contacted about is a unit you log# 1xx does not qualify for. Not qualifying can be based on household size or AMI% or both.

Here is an example: Log# 5xx is qualified for a 3 bedroom at 60% AMI, this is the vacancy that has occurred. But the log# 1xx household is too small for a 3 bedroom, and the household income is 120% AMI. If that is so then they want contact log# 1xx about a 3 bedroom vacancy at 60% AMI.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
It is a WAIT LIST presently. Yes?

Presumably, log#s are contacted when a vacancy occurs, but only it’s appropriate. If the min/max household size doesn’t qualify then they might skip to the next suitable log#. For AMI% we can hope they give a log# the benefit of the doubt because circumstances might have shifted a bit. The log# has to demonstrate that household income is suitable to the vacant unit.

Perhaps the unit that log# 5xx was contacted about is a unit you log# 1xx does not qualify for. Not qualifying can be based on household size or AMI% or both.

Here is an example: Log# 5xx is qualified for a 3 bedroom at 60% AMI, this is the vacancy that has occurred. But the log# 1xx household is too small for a 3 bedroom, and the household income is 120% AMI. If that is so then they want contact log# 1xx about a 3 bedroom vacancy at 60% AMI.
The wait list was for four units at 60% ami. I guess something could of changed. It’s been a year since I sent my documents in.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 6,323 times
Hi all, I am brand new to the forum and am pretty ignorant but hopeful in regards to the housing lottery. I am currently a HASA voucher holder and living in a shelter with my log number being 10XXX. I have all this information listed on my profile and I was wondering what are your thoughts on me being selected for this lottery? thank you so much in advance for the guidance and support!

Old 12-13-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatman89 View Post
Hi all, I am brand new to the forum and am pretty ignorant but hopeful in regards to the housing lottery. I am currently a HASA voucher holder and living in a shelter with my log number being 10XXX. I have all this information listed on my profile and I was wondering what are your thoughts on me being selected for this lottery? thank you so much in advance for the guidance and support!
What ami are you in?

Old 12-14-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
What ami are you in?
my ami currently is $9,XXX as I am not working consistently and only doing temp work.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:58 AM

521 posts, read 505,164 times
I have a log of 2XXX and have not been contacted for this lottery or ever switched to pending which is when you are close, I don't think there is a strong chance unfortunately as I don't believe living in a shelter puts you in a higher preference than other log numbers before you unless you go through a different program and specific buildings need to participate so it is unlikely this one is doing so. You are a bit below the AMI req for the lowest AMI but I think if you have a voucher it makes up the difference? There also were only around 4 units available for this building so those are long gone and they only reach out if someone moves out which is rarer in lottery units. I know there is a program that places people who are living in shelters that is different from housing connect. There were a few people from that type of program in my old apartment building but I am not sure the name or how one would get involved.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatman89 View Post
my ami currently is $9,XXX as I am not working consistently and only doing temp work.
Unfortunately you would not be approved if called as you do not meet the minimum income.

Old 12-14-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
I have a log of 2XXX and have not been contacted for this lottery or ever switched to pending which is when you are close, I don't think there is a strong chance unfortunately as I don't believe living in a shelter puts you in a higher preference than other log numbers before you unless you go through a different program and specific buildings need to participate so it is unlikely this one is doing so. You are a bit below the AMI req for the lowest AMI but I think if you have a voucher it makes up the difference? There also were only around 4 units available for this building so those are long gone and they only reach out if someone moves out which is rarer in lottery units. I know there is a program that places people who are living in shelters that is different from housing connect. There were a few people from that type of program in my old apartment building but I am not sure the name or how one would get involved.
My log is 1xx, I called and was told that all units are filled. I am still on the waiting list and will be called if someone leaves a unit.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately you would not be approved if called as you do not meet the minimum income.
I don't have the income but I do have a HASA Program Housing Voucher that cover $2343 of my rent. I was told through HRA that the voucher along with my current SRO status should be enough for me to be considered for the apartment. I was also informed that people with vouchers would be given top priority compared to those without vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery