Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 01:51 PM

564 posts, read 437,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofilikofili View Post
Not sure about the difference between heat pump vs regular dryer- we had a heat pump dryer in our previous place as well and I think it’s not that different, the only thing we noticed in this unit is that the apt gets a little hot/warm while the dryer is working. Nothing crazy though.

We don’t have any experience with the sub metered electric either so I guess we will see about that soon. But we have been using all the appliances pretty much every day. Let’s see.

Where are you in the process? Hope it’s going well for you?
Ye, with the units being so small they will definitely heat up with dryer, and if from the videos shared doesnt look like the washer dryer closet has a vented door. Which also traps a lot of heat inside while drying unless you leave the door open.

I am having second thoughts about the space as it is a very very small unit and not sure if my things will even fit in the room and the living space. Have to finalize soon as the amenities and work station pics are not realistic or representative of the actual space and moving in without being able to take a look at any amenity space sounds very scary and cagey to me.

I am grateful to be considered but a part of me feels weird about going through the motions and just moving into a unit without experiencing what the building amenities and feel is like.

I hope you are enjoying your time there and maybe you can shed more on if it was worth it for you to move there and if you could choose not moving into 505 state would you do so and why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 02:58 PM

41 posts, read 23,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinasb View Post
Ye, with the units being so small they will definitely heat up with dryer, and if from the videos shared doesnt look like the washer dryer closet has a vented door. Which also traps a lot of heat inside while drying unless you leave the door open.

I am having second thoughts about the space as it is a very very small unit and not sure if my things will even fit in the room and the living space. Have to finalize soon as the amenities and work station pics are not realistic or representative of the actual space and moving in without being able to take a look at any amenity space sounds very scary and cagey to me.

I am grateful to be considered but a part of me feels weird about going through the motions and just moving into a unit without experiencing what the building amenities and feel is like.

I hope you are enjoying your time there and maybe you can shed more on if it was worth it for you to move there and if you could choose not moving into 505 state would you do so and why ?
I see your point for sure. I don't mind the amenities so much.. I mean I am planning to use them when they open but don't mind not knowing what they look like, etc for now - so that's not really an issue for us..

I also know that unit floorpans are different and even though they are almost the same size the shape of the units make a huge difference in how the space feels. We are very happy about our floorplan, it feels specisious and bright, so it works well for us. We did have to downsize but didn't mind.

Overall I am very happy with the building and haven't had any issues so all I can say is I love it lol.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I see your point for sure. I don't mind the amenities so much.. I mean I am planning to use them when they open but don't mind not knowing what they look like, etc for now - so that's not really an issue for us..

I also know that unit floorpans are different and even though they are almost the same size the shape of the units make a huge difference in how the space feels. We are very happy about our floorplan, it feels specisious and bright, so it works well for us. We did have to downsize but didn't mind.

Overall I am very happy with the building and haven't had any issues so all I can say is I love it lol.
thanks for putting your thoughts out, glad you have already made a home out of a new place. It takes me for ever to figure out a space, design and livability wise.

I am used to a king bed and the way I see it if I were to move to state only the bed would fit in the room and there is no room for a dresser or other furniture. Which isn't a big deal but I owe a lot of money on the king mattress so eating the hit for that is going to be too much while also having to pay for a new queen one.

The building is no doubt very well designed and insulated from what you have shared. I wish I could just go and spend an entire day in the unit and see how the day goes by and how the building feels.

I love the location even though its very close to Barclays center craziness on the regular,

Brooklyn Heights / cobble hill and the slope are areas I like spending time in so it's such a hard decision as I would be so close to all of them - a bike ride away etc. Parking in the nearby area is nearly impossible (I have a car too)

Also knowing what the work / office / green area setup will be would be helpful to see if working from home in that part of the building is feasible.

If I remember correctly bike parking is 5$ a month right ? have you got a bike or plan to get one ?

Last edited by nevinasb; 05-01-2024 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-01-2024, 03:56 PM

41 posts, read 23,772 times
Quote:
thanks for putting your thoughts out, glad you have already made a home out of a new place. It takes me for ever to figure out a space, design and livability wise.

I am used to a king bed and the way I see it if I were to move to state only the bed would fit in the room and there is no room for a dresser or other furniture. Which isn't a big deal but I owe a lot of money on the king mattress so eating the hit for that is going to be too much while also having to pay for a new queen one.

The building is no doubt very well designed and insulated from what you have shared. I wish I could just go and spend an entire day in the unit and see how the day goes by and how the building feels.

I love the location even though its very close to Barclays center craziness on the regular,

Brooklyn Heights / cobble hill and the slope are areas I like spending time in so it's such a hard decision as I would be so close to all of them - a bike ride away etc. Parking in the nearby area is nearly impossible (I have a car too)

Also knowing what the work / office / green area setup will be would be helpful to see if working from home in that part of the building is feasible.

If I remember correctly bike parking is 5$ a month right ? have you got a bike or plan to get one ?
Have you toured the units yet? I am not sure if you mentioned touring before so apologies for that. If you have, which floorplan did you see?

A king bed might take up the whole room but it depends on the size of the room, different floorplans have different sizes for bedrooms but the closet space is pretty big - at least bigger than it looks on the photos. I am shocked that we don’t need additional storage lol.

We have a car and it’s not easy to find parking but not impossible if you are willing to walk a few blocks. Don’t have a bike so I don’t know anything about the bike parking situation with the building.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Have you toured the units yet? I am not sure if you mentioned touring before so apologies for that. If you have, which floorplan did you see?

A king bed might take up the whole room but it depends on the size of the room, different floorplans have different sizes for bedrooms but the closet space is pretty big - at least bigger than it looks on the photos. I am shocked that we don’t need additional storage lol.

We have a car and it’s not easy to find parking but not impossible if you are willing to walk a few blocks. Don’t have a bike so I don’t know anything about the bike parking situation with the building.
Toured the 2 1 bed plans, honestly didn't even take pics or videos so don't remember the plans very well but the k plan seemed better with two large closets in the bedroom. So you are right about the closet space, but i couldn't imagine having a working space setup in the living room, with it being sort of a railroad setup its not possible to have a wfh station without taking up valuable space as will also need a space to have a small table for dining etc.

I wish i could see how people have setup their units differently to best use space in the unit. Good to know that car parking can be had if drive around!

Old 05-02-2024, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 11,428 times
Quote:
Toured the 2 1 bed plans, honestly didn't even take pics or videos so don't remember the plans very well but the k plan seemed better with two large closets in the bedroom. So you are right about the closet space, but i couldn't imagine having a working space setup in the living room, with it being sort of a railroad setup its not possible to have a wfh station without taking up valuable space as will also need a space to have a small table for dining etc.

I wish i could see how people have setup their units differently to best use space in the unit. Good to know that car parking can be had if drive around!
I think you overthinking.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofistikelastik View Post
I think you overthinking.
for sure I have to make sure I dont regret in any scenario. I am happy to hear positive affirmations from you guys, if i remember correctly you guys got one of the k line units and like it quite a bit.

the rent combined with location is such a good one and thats what is making it hard - ill have to become one of those minimalist people, but i think my upbringing and struggles have made me a mental and physical hoarder and its so hard giving up things i possess

Old 05-04-2024, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 570 times
Quote:
for sure I have to make sure I dont regret in any scenario. I am happy to hear positive affirmations from you guys, if i remember correctly you guys got one of the k line units and like it quite a bit.

the rent combined with location is such a good one and thats what is making it hard - ill have to become one of those minimalist people, but i think my upbringing and struggles have made me a mental and physical hoarder and its so hard giving up things i possess

Living in this building has been great so far, but I'm a bit confused. As far as I know, there are no units left for Housing Connect. All the units have been taken, and after touring the apartments, there's only a 5-day window to choose one. I'm just wondering, how did you manage to secure an apartment? What's your AMI? Which floor plan did you see? It seems like you're the only one who hasn't shared any information.

Old 05-04-2024, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 570 times
Quote:

In K apartments, there's only one closet in the bedroom, not two.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix11001 View Post
In K apartments, there's only one closet in the bedroom, not two.
that makes sense, that is the unit that was held for us and I signed a lease with a late start date and now I am having second thoughts of not moving and withdrawing if I decide to

i forget there was a different unit shown that had two closets in the 1 bedroom plan. Did you move in to a 1 bed as well and if so do you have 1 or 2 closets in your bedroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery