Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Ex-correction officer arrested trying to evacuate Staten Island homes to rob them, cops say

Wow really? I'd like to take a poll at the end to see how many people have lost respect for the force after so much negative publicity of the NYPD this year... Now i know the media sees an angle most of the time and then looks to run with it to sell papers but in this case anything regarding police in NYC considering the history it has had would be news and given the fact that we barely heard anything over the last few years about crooked cops other than lowering crime statistics it seems as if this year has really been a bad year for them... I really hope this is a blip on the radar rather than a recurring trend...
Are corrections officers part of NYPD?

I guess he was probably a "former" officer for a good reason.

I did notice that the pair didn't have a chance to actually do any looting or robbing because a guy got suspicious and called police. Quick thinking.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Wow... things are so bad now that people are blaming the PD for things that former corrections officers do... Why would cops even bother in a place where the citizens are willing to blame them for everything anyway? Think about it.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Nobody is blaming cops for anything....if you look at prior posts there are too many caught (and not caught yet) who are str8 criminals. We have cops raping women, drug king pins,etc...and while the vast majority are not criminals, there is a subset who are and it's a scary thing for citizens. In this case it was a former corrections officer, however the same behavior and worse is perpetrated by the police.

Cops "bother" in a place like this because they are paid decently, get great pensions, lifetime medical for them and their families, and can retire after 20 years OR get 'injured' and retire with lifetime pension/benefits.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nobody is blaming cops for anything....if you look at prior posts there are too many caught (and not caught yet) who are str8 criminals. We have cops raping women, drug king pins,etc...and while the vast majority are not criminals, there is a subset who are and it's a scary thing for citizens. In this case it was a former corrections officer, however the same behavior and worse is perpetrated by the police.

Cops "bother" in a place like this because they are paid decently, get great pensions, lifetime medical for them and their families, and can retire after 20 years OR get 'injured' and retire with lifetime pension/benefits.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times
Quote:

I agree. There are some people who have no business being cops.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Nobody is blaming cops for anything....
I don't disagree with much you said either, BUT, my post was in response to a comment by Anon that linked to a story that had nothing to do with the NYPD (unless you count the cops arresting the guy), but then strangely mentioned bad press for the NYPD.

My comment was dead on: are things so bad now that cops are being blamed for things that corrections officers do? I believe my comment was very clear and specific considering the strange post I was referring to.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Or, to be even more clear, I'll pose it as a question:

How do the actions of a former corrections officer bring a negative light to the NYPD? Are things so bad now that the NYPD is blamed for things that corrections officers do?

Better?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Or, to be even more clear, I'll pose it as a question:

How do the actions of a former corrections officer bring a negative light to the NYPD? Are things so bad now that the NYPD is blamed for things that corrections officers do?

Better?
That was pretty much my point too.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
We have already clarified this point. While Anon did blame the NYPD for the actions of a former corrections officer in this case, the point is that law enforcement (the umbrella which includes corrections) is on a roll with all the bad publicity. Furthermore, the actions of the NYPD are as bad or worse than what this corrections officer did, and there are too many recent examples to support this.

We should hold all law enforcement to a higher standard, and there are too many cases where they are not only below the standard but str8 criminals. And as I said earlier, I believe the vast majority of cops do the right thing, and in an unenviable job, and have just as much problems out in the field as they do internally at the bureau.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
While Anon did blame the NYPD for the actions of a former corrections officer in this case, the point is that law enforcement (the umbrella which includes corrections) is on a roll with all the bad publicity.
And that was the only point I wanted to make.

Corrections has absolutely nothing to do with NYPD at all. The only connection between the two is the fact that they both are law enforcement (semi- in the case of corrections), that fall under the Mayor/City. That's it.

The post was misleading and I sought to point that out. Clouding the issue serves no good purpose. The problems that the NYPD has should be addressed/discussed appropriately so that something can hopefully be done. Misleading statements do not help that cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City