Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 PM

44 posts, read 65,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
From my experinces, all black people sound the same.
Quote:
That's correct, just assume that because I am from the south that I am uneducated and not-well traveled. I don't have my Passport and Master's degree for nothing! My family went to NYC while I was a freshman in high school spent 6 years up there.Trust me when I say this, there are plenty of NYers who are not, as you say, well educated or well traveled. Go to any project in NYC and ask the residents what type of degree they have and if they went to at least 5 countries outside of the United States. Go ahead, I will await your return. But I bet you are "well-educated" enough to agree, that your post was getting off topic.
Thank you, *SunsetSkies*, for taking me to task for having presumed as much about you and others from the South. I still must respectfully disagree, however, with the assertion that "...all black people sound the same". The statement provoked me to assume, perhaps erroneously, that your experiences were somewhat limited, since anyone who has traveled this great country and had even the remotest association with Black Americans would know that they do not all sound alike. Surely you must have noticed in six years of living in New York City, a marked difference in the way Black NYs spoke, as opposed to the way they speak in certain parts of the South--or anywhere else in the country, eh? Again, sincerest apologies. In future, I shall do my best and post with greater diplomacy. And no, I do not believe my rebuttal to your assertion was in the least "...off topic." Ciao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Focus on the thread, not the poster
And yes, I'll give rep points to someone who doesn't stay quiet when others make untrue generalizations about blacks. A lot of posters here are afraid to acknowledge intelligent, well-spoken and highly educated blacks who aren't interested in "hiphop culture". It would distort their whole world.
And since I just gave rep points to someone else in another thread, you reminded me that it's time to go back and give some to poliutx2!
Thank you, Doobage; you flatter me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to poliutox2 again."
Acknowledged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 PM

96 posts, read 284,299 times
OK, I think that question is the most racist I've seen on City-Data.
Why would you care about the Black Community and their lack of Southern Accent when you're in New York!
I never asked about the lack of a Northern Accent when I travel down South.
What kind of question is that?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
Why would you care about the Black Community and their lack of Southern Accent when you're in New York!
You make a valid point, however the person who started this thread is black or Afro-Cuban I think. But if you think this is the most racist question you should've seen the stuff being posted in the last year.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
Well it is an interesting question to ask because many Blacks in other parts of the country such as the midwest and west coast(California) do have southernesq accents.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
That's correct, just assume that because I am from the south that I am uneducated and not-well traveled. I don't have my Passport and Master's degree for nothing! My family went to NYC while I was a freshman in high school spent 6 years up there.Trust me when I say this, there are plenty of NYers who are not, as you say, well educated or well traveled. Go to any project in NYC and ask the residents what type of degree they have and if they went to at least 5 countries outside of the United States. Go ahead, I will await your return. But I bet you are "well-educated" enough to agree, that your post was getting off topic.
the projects? so the majority of us live in projects?

you know what i will take your challenge but instead of going to the projects i will go to cambria heights a affluent black neighborhood where their income salaries are higher then the average white person in queens.

Im pretty sure their answers will demolish your arrogant thoughts of blacks in the projects.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Nobody uses this word in my small Florida town. Only person that I heard using it was Larry the Cable Guy who is not even from the South
Used by both black & white southerners
Blacks use these too. I think you have some hatred towards white southerners.

To counter this blacks use a lot of terms that are not even proper English.

Aight
A yo b
Shawty
Yo son you mad cool(not even correct usage of the adjective)
I be workin
Get yalls ____
I finna
Gutta
Dope
Reppin mah hood son

I am sorry but this is how blacks talk.. They usually say a curse word after every other word. I was a Social Worker working in the black areas of NYC and this is what I have observed. God help them. If a black speaks in proper English they get bashed for "talking white".

so if your job moved to a small hillbilly town in west Virginia would you then stereotype whites as all being hillbillies who are hairy with no sense of style and a unique Oder?

i think not.

truth of the matter is you worked as a social worker talking to the main blacks who spoke in those type of Ebonics.

now in my case i work in the upper east side in high end stores that are filled with African Americans in which not 1 even talks in those types of Ebonics.

in fact they talk so proper you wouldn't even think some of them live in HARLEM.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:28 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,091,766 times
Im embarrassed for even taking this thread seriously,

I mean look at the title

Q-Why Doesn't The Black Community in NYC Have a Southern Twang to its Accent?

A-Because the black community from nyc are not from the south...lol

Its just that simple. It didnt take 21 pages to come to this conclusion

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 AM

44 posts, read 65,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

I mean look at the title

Truer words were seldom spoken.

.....It didnt take 21 pages to come to this conclusion

Oh, but it soooo often does on City-Data forums.

Ciao, K.O.N.Y

Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

I mean look at the title

THANK YOU !!!!! Not every black person has immediate southern roots. I didnt grow up with any family down south..the few I have now in ATL grew up in the BX. Im damn proud of my NY accent..

And to the person that said all black people sound the same..that in itself sounds ridiculous. A native New Yorker and a southerner sound nothing alike

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
THANK YOU !!!!! Not every black person has immediate southern roots. I didnt grow up with any family down south..the few I have now in ATL grew up in the BX. Im damn proud of my NY accent..

And to the person that said all black people sound the same..that in itself sounds ridiculous. A native New Yorker and a southerner sound nothing alike
Strange every AA I know and met has some sort of Southern roots or ties, not lingusitcally but have family ties. When I was in elementary school, Junior high and high school and even now all my AA friends an associates go down south for Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City