Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 08:49 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Strange every AA I know and met has some sort of Southern roots or ties, not lingusitcally but have family ties. When I was in elementary school, Junior high and high school and even now all my AA friends an associates go down south for Thanksgiving.
So you've never met an AA whose parents were from abroad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 AM

13 posts, read 11,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
so if your job moved to a small hillbilly town in west Virginia would you then stereotype whites as all being hillbillies who are hairy with no sense of style and a unique Oder?
i find the above to be true about blacks, specifically those who live in those filthy project buildings.

Quote:
i think not.
I have been to West Virginia met plenty of fine people from there. Even those who live in small poverty stricken Appalachian towns do not measure up to the horrific crime statistics of blacks who live in low income housing. Why is this? Something else must be going on here...

Quote:
truth of the matter is you worked as a social worker talking to the main blacks who spoke in those type of Ebonics.

now in my case i work in the upper east side in high end stores that are filled with African Americans in which not 1 even talks in those types of Ebonics.

in fact they talk so proper you wouldn't even think some of them live in HARLEM.
I doubt this as blacks tend to talk proper when associating with whites in order to eliminate black stereotypes. You do not know how these people act at home, especially a black person from Harlem which is (and a black NYer said this, not me) a "Ghetto version of Manhattan" Either that or they must be gay.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 AM

13 posts, read 11,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
When I saw your post, I thought "oh no, the truth comes out." These are the words I hear from the younger generation of black New Yorkers. I was too afraid "to go there." I was expecting a barrage of denial but I see your post received a silent response of truth.

On a positive note, gay blacks, usually the men speak like other New Yorkers. I believe it is because it's a small community that is well integrated with the general gay community. They have a need to fit in there and identify with their peers, regardless of race.
Yes and when that truth comes out and you present facts in front of these people they call you a racist, usually out of desperation.

I can't stand the gay accent on ANY male, it sounds ridiculous.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Please dont feed the troll. They're wild animals

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Please dont feed the troll. They're wild animals
Exactly my thoughts! +1

Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,818 times
Quote:
Strange every AA I know and met has some sort of Southern roots or ties, not lingusitcally but have family ties. When I was in elementary school, Junior high and high school and even now all my AA friends an associates go down south for Thanksgiving.
Well this black american..grew up with absolutely none ! LOL. Everybody was in New York. And we ate at my Aunts house in the BX every year for Thanksgiving ! When we went down south it was to vacation in Orlando because we have a timeshare down there

Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
So you've never met an AA whose parents were from abroad?
?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
Well this black american..grew up with absolutely none ! LOL. Everybody was in New York. And we ate at my Aunts house in the BX every year for Thanksgiving ! When we went down south it was to vacation in Orlando because we have a timeshare down there
Awesome. Nothing beats timeshares in paradise. No because most of my AA associates and friends when holiday time comes they are driving down i95 on the road to grandma house. When they come back to nyc they start boosting about Virgina ham, coloredgreens and other American dishes. Made me Jealous.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I just watched that and it was pretty interesting to see her trace her family history. I know my ancestors' names quite a few generations back, but don't know who they were or what they did.
Yes she was blessed in that regard and in the looks dept as well!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Awesome. Nothing beats timeshares in paradise. No because most of my AA associates and friends when holiday time comes they are driving down i95 on the road to grandma house. When they come back to nyc they start boosting about Virgina ham, colored greens and other American dishes. Made me Jealous.
Well you are on to something most Black Americans in NYC of indigenous background are about 2 generations removed from the South. What's interesting is the reverse migration that is occuring. I suspect Black Americans are appalled about so many foreigners in NYC and are heading back to cheaper more American environs. This may come across as offensive but I have heard this reason cited by Blacks who have left NYC.

Another interesting thing about NYC is it never drew a substantial internal white migration movement. For example whites from Appalachia migrated to Cincinnati, Baltimore, and Detroit but virtually bypassed NYC. Again this maybe attributed to train routes but I suspect the international nature of NYC also put them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City