Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times

Advertisements

What about the African Americans who live in the Pacific Northwest. In cities like Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. Aren't their accents just as non-southern as black accents in the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I don't see what's so confusing. African Americans are American, such as the children of immigrants, who were born here. Black Americans, on the other hand, came here through slavery and have been here for hundreds of years.
My parents came here from Ghana. I was born in the United States and have no ties to the south. So, I am asking the other poster if he has never met an African American whose parents are from abroad. If he's referring to black Americans, that makes more sense.
Me too!! My parents are from Ghana as well.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,296,244 times
Because they are not originally from the South.

They've been there just as long as everyone else.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What about the African Americans who live in the Pacific Northwest. In cities like Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. Aren't their accents just as non-southern as black accents in the Northeast?
True blacks in the Northwest from San Francisco up to Seattle have differenet accents. They seem to be more cut off from the southern accent then any other AA.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Your question was confusing because African Americans are American. They wouldn't have come from abroad. The scenario described above is about two Africans moving to America. You are mixing up race and ethnicity. They are two different constructs.

The reverse migration of black Americans to the south has been happening since the 80s. A lot of young people moved south to attend college, stayed there and now have families there. Also, as older people retired, they moved south. This explains why ppl are traveling down I-95 for the holidays.

When I was growing up, we spent our holidays in Queens. I am a 5th generation New Yorker on my mom's side. My dad was born in Virginia but moved here at age two. Neither he nor his parents had southern accents.
African Americans are just as American as apple pie. I wish I had ancestral ties to this country. Im only a first generation American with ancestral ties to three continents.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-20-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

What part? My parents came from Saltpond.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
African Americans are just as American as apple pie. I wish I had ancestral ties to this country. Im only a first generation American with ancestral ties to three continents.
Marry an American girl

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,414,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ghana folks are cool my friend from Ghana will try and take me their someday.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:07 PM

366 posts, read 775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If you go to almost every major city in the US whether it's in the midwest, west, or southeast, the blacks all have a southern twang to their accent. However, in NYC, the blacks have no hint of the southern accent. The funny thing is that a lot of blacks in NYC are descendants of southern migrants, but there seems to be no trace of the southern accent passed down from earlier generations.
I honestly think you either want to let the world know how ignorant you are or you're just letting your closet racism hang out to air. The truth is you know diddly about Black Americans other than what you hear or see in the media. The "southern twang" is a general accepted form of speech below the Mason - Dixon Line for blacks and whites alike, but elsewhere, nothing really happening. You claim you've been out West? Well if you ever travelled to LA, San Francisco, San Deigo, or Long Beach you would know that "black" denizens of these urban enclaves don't speak in a "southern twang." Have you been to the Midwest: Oklahoma, Nebraska or Colorado? You might be surprised to hear how "blacks" speak. One last thing,KKK stupid, the way a person articulates his/or herself is generally a reflection of their education or lack thereof.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times
More voices of black New Yorkers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lWfjiWtac
When I first heard this video I thought these nekkid voices were from the South, not from the NYC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City