Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times

Advertisements

In South bronx the worst areas in my opinion are: (Not in order)
Mott Haven
Hunts Point
Morrisania
East Tremont/West Farms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
In South bronx the worst areas in my opinion are: (Not in order)
Mott Haven
Hunts Point
Morrisania
East Tremont/West Farms
I would add high bridge. university heigths and melrose at that.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would add high bridge. university heigths and melrose at that.
And if we also add Morris Heights we have the whole South Bronx! Should Soundview be considered as South Bronx? If Soundview suffered arson in the 70s, I will add it as part of South Bronx. Port Morris never gets mentioned as a bad area, is it mostly industrial? You would think that the crime and decay from Mott Haven would affect this area too.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Morris Heights is part of the Central Bronx, as is West Farms/East Tremont and University Heights. Port Morris is almost exclusively industrial, but that is changing as the area has been rezoned and lofts are converting to residential.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I didn't see much high crime in Soundview. Just a lot of poverty and filth. Many tenement dwellers, projects and SRO's I'm a white guy who walked down Westchester Ave at all times of night. Got lots of looks but never felt unsafe.
Agreed, but do you go over by Watson?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Some of those old tenements in Soundview by Elder ave (for example) have been purchased and are being repositioned to market rate with new tenants moving in. I met a dude who moved into a renovated apt and was paying $1,000 for a 1 bedroom...the apt was completely redone with an open kitchen/livingroom, new walls, electric, bathroom everything. The owners were doing this one apt at a time as they became vacant, however his existing neighbors were pretty bad, the elevator was in horrible condition, and he was generally unhappy with the building/area but liked the apt.

He is still there but not much has changed as apts don't come available hardly.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Agreed, but do you go over by Watson?
Is that the projects? I've been through the Sotomayor projects and the Bronx River houses. It seems that's where most of the blacks in Soundview live. Despite the sporadic men hanging out at street corners, they appear to be very quiet for projects. However, I've never been to either project on a summer night.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Some of those old tenements in Soundview by Elder ave (for example) have been purchased and are being repositioned to market rate with new tenants moving in. I met a dude who moved into a renovated apt and was paying $1,000 for a 1 bedroom...the apt was completely redone with an open kitchen/livingroom, new walls, electric, bathroom everything. The owners were doing this one apt at a time as they became vacant, however his existing neighbors were pretty bad, the elevator was in horrible condition, and he was generally unhappy with the building/area but liked the apt.

He is still there but not much has changed as apts don't come available hardly.
That's great but rare. The building my gf lived was a classic 5 floor walkup tenement spiced up with additionall tenants of mice. The lobby floor reeked of garbage and urine. The neighbors believed their apartments were salsa/reggaeton clubs. And to walk to the train you were required to look on the ground at all times to avoid walking into dog feces. She now lives on Colonial ave in Pelham Bay and it's like night and day. Plus, no added tenants walking on the floor, which are now real hardwood, not cheap parquet.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I can agree to that though the reasons are pretty clear to me... while it isn't exactly the hood it used to be, it just doesn't seem that it will ever get much better than it is right now which is unfortunate... I think it really was unrealistic to try and make this hood the next williamsburg. the two neighborhoods were two completely different scenarios. Williamsburg was the ideal testing ground in Brooklyn for gentrification and yuppy town for so many reasons. One, the side thats been completely gentrified was never a complete hood to begin with. The southside and east williamsburg were always more shady while in the northside there was a nice mix of jews, and european people along with the black and hispanic people. On top of that, it was the closest location to Manhattan...

It provided at the time a cheap location a train stop away from manhattan that had a gritty feel but not completely dangerous at the same time... Bushwick is obviously nowhere near what Williamsburg provided...
Speaking of the train, I think many who gambled on Bushwick are scratching their heads as to why why why. They probably gambled on the L artery/vein - and let's face it, the L is a vein. But if they were expecting big things for Bushwick, tough cookies. Someone should've told them a decent train line guarantees nothing. The MTA is making out nicely though.

A big thank you for saying the above (in blue text) because it's so true. I hate when people say "the artists made it nice" LOL -Beep - Wrong. Bedford/N.7 (where I was raised) was already nice - It just wasn't saturated with cafes and wutnot. Dare I say it was actually nicer back then (nicer people, quieter)

Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Is that the projects? I've been through the Sotomayor projects and the Bronx River houses. It seems that's where most of the blacks in Soundview live. Despite the sporadic men hanging out at street corners, they appear to be very quiet for projects. However, I've never been to either project on a summer night.
Yes, watson has projects. Bronx river were kinda quiet, i leved a few blocks away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City