Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times

Advertisements

Here's my take on Queens. Bear in mind that there are some nice sections in each neighborhoodsc so I'm not ranking them in any particular order. However, I'd say that transit-wise, Arverne and Far Rock are way worse than South Jamaica.

Far Rockaway
Arverne
South Jamaica

Can people do this for the other four boroughs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Morris Heights is part of the Central Bronx, as is West Farms/East Tremont and University Heights. Port Morris is almost exclusively industrial, but that is changing as the area has been rezoned and lofts are converting to residential.
The term "South Bronx" used to include all blighted areas below Fordham Rd. and west of the Bronx River Geographicly areas like West Farms/East Tremont are in the central part of the borough, but do to their poor socio economic status these areas was labeled as "South Bronx". Before I did not consider Morris and University Heights as South Bronx but now i have recieved relevant information that these areas was severly affected by blight in the past so i will incude them to South Bronx. Some even include the J.Lo nabe Castle Hill in South Bronx.

On a sidenote, I have never hear J.Lo say "I grew up in South Bronx" only "I grew up in in The Bronx an used to take the 6 train to Manhattan for dance classes".

Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Yes, watson has projects. Bronx river were kinda quiet, i leved a few blocks away.
Wow! We probably have looked at each other on the street, My gf lived on 172nd which was a block away from Bronx River houses.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 AM

172 posts, read 590,144 times
I agree that south Jamaica, far rock and coney island are a lost cause due to the lack of transportation and amenities. However I have to stick my neck out and say that the south bx and brownsville could have potential. Both have high crime... but high crime these days in Ny is comparable to some safer neighborhoods in the city during the 90's. Nor are they blighted like the Harlem of my youth, where everywhere you looked was abandoned buildings and vacant lots....I believe that it all depends how you look at things. All neighborhoods have corners or buildings that are trouble spots and these neighborhoods have quite a few but I believe its unfair to write them off simply because of the presence of public housing. I picked these neighborhoods because they have decent commute times to Manhattan and they have some beautiful quiet streets. However they have a reputation that is outdated. I think with the right investment these areas could one day become desirable.....

Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Whitlock I agree with that definition but it is outdated and neighborhoods are evolving. The term "South Bronx" simply applied to a broad area whcih shared common problems regardless of actual geographic area, but that has changed. Many areas are/have created their own identities and although still share much of the same societal ills, the term has lost much of its meaning, and the Southern Bronx and what is occuring their is different than the Central Bronx (like Morris Heights and University Heights, West Farms/East Tremont etc). There should be a distinction as the areas are evolving very differently.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Wow! We probably have looked at each other on the street, My gf lived on 172nd which was a block away from Bronx River houses.
I used to live right there. Good thing we moved, there have been a few shootings in the area recently.

I still probaly see you on the 4,5,6 and out in LI.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 30,811 times
Spanish Harlem (aka West Harlem, aka Mornigside Heights, Washington Heights). Unless you are Dominican or Puerto Rican.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
On a sidenote, I have never hear J.Lo say "I grew up in South Bronx" only "I grew up in in The Bronx an used to take the 6 train to Manhattan for dance classes".

I vaguely remember her yelling "South side Bronx!" in the background of that "Jenny From The Block" chorus. I think anyway.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ Dewdrop149 you are clearly getting confused with some other neighborhood in Brooklyn rather than Brownsville... thats the place that has 18 projects in 1sq. mile... thats the place that for the last 80 years going back to Murder Inc and has never stopped, leading the statistics in crime categories... that is the place that people talk about as the forgotten hood... a location that getting guns is like getting candy... and that's the place that I lived right next to for the majority of my life and still visit the family every now and then, and which hasn't changed at all since the 90s... the only thing that has changed is the medical treatment and the effort put in place in the two hospitals near that hood to treat gun wounds seeing as how Kings County receives the most gunshots victims in the country...

Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Kings County is one of the leading hospitals in the country when it comes to proffesional treatment of gunshot wounds. The doctors and nurses has been educated in warzones around the world.

Is Kings County Medical Center located in Flatbush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City