Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Several more shootings over on Lenox Avenue just above 125th over the past few days.
I do not think theses area adolescents will stop whether there are laws or not.
I am rather neutral myself, see both sides of the arguments.
Hi Harlem resident,
I mentioned in an earlier post that I made quite a few trips into the New York City area delivering meat during the 1970s. Funny you mentioned 125th street because one of the places I used to deliver meat to was close to 125th street. If I remember correctly Sammons or something similar to that was the name.

On one trip to the place I was leading a new driver in to deliver first thing in the morning. I had given the new guy the usual instructions on the CB radio about not stopping for lights, the baby buggy trick and some of the other things to look out for. We arrived at the place at about three A.M. and found two parking spots right along a chain link fence besides the Harlem(?) River. We parked in opposite directions with the trailer doors butted up against each other. I gave him the usual warnings about the type of things to be aware of and we both tried to get some sleep before our 7:00 AM unloading times. It was cold that night so we had our engines running in addition to the sleepers so it was fairly noisy.

I woke up the next morning and I noticed cop cars and ambulances parked around our rigs. I threw on some warm clothes and got out to see what was going on. I walked over to a couple of plain clothes officers and asked them what was happening. They were standing next to a body bag and it obviously had a body in it. My first thought was "damn! Somebody murdered the new guy". The cops told me that it was a floater they had pulled out of the River and nothing to do with me. About that time the other driver walked up. When he saw the body bag he just told me" tell dispatch they can stick this job up their ***. I am bobtailing back to Nebraska". I guess he did.

Several times I would find a safe place to park the truck and take the trains, taxis or buses in to various areas of NYC. I remember some fun places in Harlem and other Burroughs. When I wasn't worried about losing a trailer full of valuable meat I actually enjoyed NYC.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
I've given up trying to explain the benefits of owning and CARRYING a firearm.
I don't even want to debate it anymore, and seeing how I now live in Nevada, I wont have to.

But while I'm here....I'd still like to have an answer to this question I asked in post 37:
Suppose you came home and a man had a knife to your wife's throat and you didn't have a gun.
What would you do?
Reason with him?
Now....WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU DID HAVE A GUN???
^^P L E A S E answer that^^

Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee22 View Post
from another thread that got shut down.

Again...after 40 years of living in nyc, i was happy to leave in march of this year and move to nevada where i carry a concealed weapon every day....everywhere.
:d

Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I've given up trying to explain the benefits of owning and CARRYING a firearm.
I don't even want to debate it anymore, and seeing how I now live in Nevada, I wont have to.

But while I'm here....I'd still like to have an answer to this question I asked in post 37:
Suppose you came home and a man had a knife to your wife's throat and you didn't have a gun.
What would you do?
Reason with him?
Now....WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU DID HAVE A GUN???
^^P L E A S E answer that^^

I couldnt agree with you more. Guns are for your protection.

Never mind that example Stagger how about this one. Why is it that when a psychopath or a robber breaks into my home Im supposed to call the police?
Well Gee??????
Lets think Shall we

Oh wait I get it now it is because the police are armed. Even though the supreme court has ruled that the police do not have to come to your rescue, that alone tells you that as an average individual you should always be armed. Trouble happens when you least expect it and when its your life or someone else you only have SECONDS to act.

BUT as I was with my example if I have to call the cops to save me during a break in it could only mean that the cops are carrying something that could save a life if used properly, and that thing is nothing more than a firearm, hence guns are for your protection. (And IF notice I said IF it is used to put down an assailant you have just saved taxpayers, courts, and prisons hundreds if not thousands of dollars)

This video supports that claim and as a result the 57 year old woman who would have become a victim of murder is still alive. And no it doesnt matter if its in OKlahoma. Her life was in danger and thats all that matters.

Raw Video: 911 Records Homeowner Shooting, Killing Intruder - YouTube

There never seems to be any gun violence at a police prescient. Nope definately not, Ive never heard of a good story where a gun man has opened fire in a police prescient or at a police headquarters but you always hear of the violence taking place elsewhere at a school, park, restaurant, on the streets, or any gun free zones for that matter. The answer is fairly simple. (Fill in the blank) Period. Paragrapgh. End of discussion.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Great video! If you have more information about this case ( perpetrators background etc.) please share. Dam, he looks nutz!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You carry insurance not because you want to or choose to to protect yourself, but because you are required to. Understand that?

Any government official that wants to regulate a dangerous weapon so that it reduces the number of those dangerous weapons available to unscrupulous people is a friend of the people. If you want to be a LAW ABIDING citizen...you should be...what does owning a gun have to do with that? What are you so afraid of? If you believe you need to carry a gun for protection when you check the mail, eat at White Castle, and shop at Marshalls, that is a problem with you and your head, not reality.
I have guns in my house because in order to completely ensure my safety, I am required to.

I wouldn't own anything besides a target gun IF the world were full of law-abiding citizens.

Now you can seen plenty of studies that show that gun ownership (not deployment, just ownership) is a deterrant to crime.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Oh-my-God, here we go again with the gun nuts paranoia...
Have you ever thought about the fact that - probably - the vast majority of newyorkers don't own guns because they DON'T like them?
New York is different from flyover America
How would they ever know if they 'liked' them or not if they can never be exposed to them?

I dated (don't ask me why - ok, cuz she was smoking hot and smart as hell) one of those hoity-toity Harvard liberals who hated guns with a passion even though she'd never touched one.

We took her out shooting one day. She had a blast! And once she understood operation, handling, and the insane safety measures good gun owners employ, she changed her mind about her ignorant hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City