Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM

175 posts, read 487,359 times

Advertisements

A fair amount of chinese people that will rush in without letting you off first, and will swarm you for a seat.

Really really fat people.

People that spread their legs all the way out to make a 3 seater a 2 seater.

People with big ass luggage

people that dont know where they going and instead peaks out the train station to see the stop and people who peak in and hold the door to ask for directions.

people playing really loud music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkFriedRice View Post
A fair amount of chinese people that will rush in without letting you off first, and will swarm you for a seat.

Really really fat people.

People that spread their legs all the way out to make a 3 seater a 2 seater.

People with big ass luggage

people that dont know where they going and instead peaks out the train station to see the stop and people who peak in and hold the door to ask for directions.

people playing really loud music.
One of the most basic rules of etiquette. Let the passengers get off the train!
You will not get to your destination a second faster by being the first one on the train.

Also not giving up a seat for the elderly or disabled if you are reasonably young and able bodied. An elderly woman has no business trying to hang on to a pole in a metal cylinder rocketing along like a bullet. I see the loud,obnoxious schoolkids doing this. My grandmother when I was young taught me this. Some chivalry and respect in today's world has gone out the window, And this applies to the various subway rudeness.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
3) The backpacker: Another daily rush hour occurrence. The one Appalachian man who is on his way uptown for a hike of the Catskills or something. He's got the giant north face stuffed to the brim with organic granola, and instead of taking the damn thing off and shoving it between his legs, he finds it completely acceptable to repeatedly whack you in the face with it.
That one alone got you my rep! Don't even get me started on backpackers. I can live with all the rest but this group brings me to the brink. I swear, one of these days some backpacker is going to wack some poor guy off a crowed platform and get him killed.

What's so hard about taking it off and carrying it at your side when the train is crowded? Shouldn't that be part of the MTA's code of conduct? Fred....where are you?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM

292 posts, read 705,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Oh man that must be so annoying and gross. Never happened to me on the subway yet though.

How about guys that sit next to you and keep their legs wide apart? Nothing ruins a ride having to rub thighs with a strange dude on the subway. This is REAL rude.
^^^^THIS. I think most guys ***way*** overestimate the size of their sack. Their is no reason to have a half of foot of space between your knees when you are sitting on a subway seat. That really pisses me off.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
^^^^THIS. I think most guys ***way*** overestimate the size of their sack. Their is no reason to have a half of foot of space between your knees when you are sitting on a subway seat. That really pisses me off.
Yessss. It drives me crazy. And when people put their backpacks or whatever between their legs and take up even more room.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
What about the im gonna eat my smelly chinese food on a crowded hot train guy?

What about mr or ms everything bagel breath?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM

168 posts, read 523,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
That was funny. I almost spit my coffee out. Honestly, I probably do overestimate my sack size, but sometimes I'll make an effort to close the gap a bit, then some wide hipped person sits next to me and shoves my legs even closer together and the boys just can't take the pressure so I get up.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
"One of the most basic rules of etiquette. Let the passengers get off the train!"

Is see this in elevators too. There's not even any seat to run for there!

I generally stand on subway trains. There will come a time I'm sure when I'll need to sit down each time. But until then, there's likely someone who needs that seat more than me.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Default Subway/Gym combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"One of the most basic rules of etiquette. Let the passengers get off the train!"

Is see this in elevators too. There's not even any seat to run for there!

I generally stand on subway trains. There will come a time I'm sure when I'll need to sit down each time. But until then, there's likely someone who needs that seat more than me.
Amen to that. I have yet another one for you all. Why do some guys decide the subway is also a gym? I see guys doing pull ups, and then dropping off after 2 reps admiring their "guns". Not kidding! This is bit rarer then some of the aforementioned complaints.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM

288 posts, read 566,807 times
Basically, just living with other people. Everyone who isn't me and who I have to deal with, especially in a crowded city like New York. Seriously, folks. I can't stand any of them. Show me someone on the train and I can tell you what they're doing wrong. Only I have the real subway etiquette. Everyone else? Just annoying. I wish the MTA would exist solely for me so I wouldn't have to deal with other people.

Oh well, one can always dream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City