Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:57 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
Eh, my son always gets a seat on the train. Kids need to sit and not swing all around the train. They most certainly don't need to hold that DISGUSTING pole, and then put their hands in their face or mouth. Don't see the problem with that. And if a kid wiggles then Newsflash!!!!!: that's because they're KIDS!! Duh!
We get that. Here's my problem, when kids are wiggling around, kneeling or crossing their little legs and then soil peoples pants with their shoes. I see it a lot and most of the time the parent(s) (which are the blame) don't even step in and discipline the kid. I understand that kids can't help reacting to all their energy, I raised four!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

This is really funny. So anytime we hear anyone complain about anything in NYC that is supposedly the norm -- like maybe a business that doesn't shovel the snow on their part of the sidewalk, people not cleaning up after their dog, or someone talking too loud on their cellphone -- we should assume they are transplants?

Because, you know, a "real" New Yorker who was actually BORN here would never complain about anything that happens on a regular basis, right ?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-26-2011 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote

Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
Yeal, real New Yorkers are well known for being doormats right?!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 PM

288 posts, read 566,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is really funny. So anytime we hear anyone complain about anything in NYC that is supposedly the norm -- like maybe a business that doesn't shovel the snow on their part of the sidewalk, people not cleaning up after their dog, or someone talking too loud on their cellphone -- we should assume they are transplants?

Because, you know, a "real" New Yorker who was actually BORN here would never complain about anything that happens on a regular basis, right ?
Exactly right, transplant! Stop complaining and get with the pure blooded NYC program!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,131,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
What are your thoughts on stations where there is only 1 staircase. In the AM, at crowded stations like Rock Center, exiting passengers innudate the staircase on both sides, so it's impossible for anyone upstairs to run down to catch the train. I always want to be polite and move out of the way, but lately I'm like f it, they're not gonna catch that thing anyway.
This past summer, I had to take a bus to the SI Ferry and then take the (R) from Whitehall Street to 8th Street. I would always make a mad dash for the (R) as soon as I got off the ferry, since I knew that an (R) would come in a couple of minutes after the ferry arrived (the ferry would arrive at 8:55 and I'd have to make it down 4 flights of stairs before 8:57). I knew I had to run as fast as possible because once the train came in, it would be that much harder to get down the stairs and I could risk missing the train.

But the times when I got there after the train arrived, I was able to squeeze through the crowd and get on (though it required me to grab the doors as they were closing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
Crowded Rush Hour Trains = All trains packed door to door and people still try to get on it. I am trying to find a carpool to avoid taking a rush hr AM train.
Well, I do that as well when I take the subway. My feeling is that there's always room for one more, and I'm definitely not waiting for the next train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
Seriously, when its a crowded train and I see 1 or 2 random seats open I'll always look at the faces of the people around them. Brb accidently sitting in a puddle of urine.
I remember once, I was on the S46 bus and I saw everybody standing. I didn't realize that the night before it had rained and the seats were still damp and when I got off, I realized my pants were wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
One of the most basic rules of etiquette. Let the passengers get off the train!
You will not get to your destination a second faster by being the first one on the train.

Also not giving up a seat for the elderly or disabled if you are reasonably young and able bodied. An elderly woman has no business trying to hang on to a pole in a metal cylinder rocketing along like a bullet. I see the loud,obnoxious schoolkids doing this. My grandmother when I was young taught me this. Some chivalry and respect in today's world has gone out the window, And this applies to the various subway rudeness.
I guess their logic is that the doors might close before they get on if they wait.

And yeah, it's ridiculous if somebody doesn't give their seat to the elderly. A whole carful of people and nobody has any sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Yessss. It drives me crazy. And when people put their backpacks or whatever between their legs and take up even more room.
If done the right way, they won't take up any more room. When it's on their back, the backpag is jutting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I saw a woman once who couldn't decide if it was her stop or not, stepping out then in then out then back it. Then the doors closed on her. It was hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
6. People who HOLD THE DOORS. For whatever reason. I once had a train conductor that held the train in the station for an extra minute after he yelled at people for holding the doors.
10. When people block the turnstiles fumbling for their metrocards.

Lastly, and this is not about people, but about the MTA. When the local train you are on pulls into the station and the express train is sitting across the platform. Your doors open and the express train's doors close and it pulls of before anyone can get on.
6) I can understand it. I mean, if there are people running down the stairs, I don't think it's too bad to hold the doors.

10) Agree.

And yeah, the local-express thing really bugs me. The train saves 30 seconds and the passengers have to wait 10 minutes for the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
Wow, I didn't know there was such an aversion to giving seats up to kids. Well if logic (and courtesy) dictates that you should give your seat up to a pregnant or elderly person because it's hard to hold on, don't you think that logic should apply to a 3 or 4 year old that doesn't have a lot of coordination or balance? Seriously? Do you really think you are spoiling a child by letting them sit?? Do these kid snubbers have kids, I wonder?

And not all kids are wigglers. If the parents don't teach their child to behave on the subway, they just won't. It's all about discipline and teaching your child manners. I'd LOVE for someone to confront me about my supposedly non paying child having the audacity to take up a seat on the subway.
Not taking sides, but there's a saying: "Little enough to ride for free, little enough to ride your knee."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
We as humans are actually much more disgusting than the subway poles. Its much easier to get sick from the person sitting next to you than the pole.
And who's touching the poles if not humans?

I don't really ride the subway, since I live on Staten Island, but the thing that bugs me are the people who don't move to the back of the bus, and then the bus ends up bypassing people because there's no more room in the front. That, and the people who spread their legs out and take up 2 seats.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Default Another one today..

A guy on the Q line at DeKalb ave stop realized he was supposed to get off...He yelled "Noooooooooo" and pushed through the crowd, Trying to pry the door open with his hands...While the train was moving.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Checkmate yes humans touch the poles but even so unless there is some very apparent blood or other bodily fluid on that pole it is much more probable to get sick from the person breathing next to you than touching the pole.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,343 times
Default It's your duty to shove them

People who fiddle with their phones on the stairs/in the door of the train while you're trying to board.

Idiots who crowd around the door trying to board while everyone else is trying to get off.

Buttheads who will not move into the damn car.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:42 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
People who give panhandlers or entertainers dirty looks, then proceed to give me a dirty look when I give them spare money. Like, seriously?
Ever see the guy that does an a cappela version of "Under The Boardwalk", tapping out percussion with his cane?

Haven't seen him in a while, I'll always give him a buck.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:30 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
Ever see the guy that does an a cappela version of "Under The Boardwalk", tapping out percussion with his cane?

Haven't seen him in a while, I'll always give him a buck.
Hahaha, I saw that guy a few months ago, and I gave him a buck when I did. I think he was on the R.

I had Under the Boardwalk stuck in my head for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City