Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
If it's sick to promote the construction of housing and jobs along with beautification and maximizing usage, I must be mental.
Lol build a nice water front park or nice residential glass towers were workers make only ten dollars an hour. Nah I pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM

425 posts, read 958,720 times
I have been going to games at Shea Stadium and now Citi Field since the early 80's and all I have to say...It's about damn time! The surrounding area looks like a third world nation at times, and if some chop shop has to be torn up...all the better, take the check you will be given to relocate and do so.

Either you change with the times or you get left behind... 'dem's the breaks!

We should be seeing alot less and alot more

Just my opinion.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I have been going to games at Shea Stadium and now Citi Field since the early 80's and all I have to say...It's about damn time! The surrounding area looks like a third world nation at times, and if some chop shop has to be torn up...all the better, take the check you will be given to relocate and do so.

Either you change with the times or you get left behind... 'dem's the breaks!

We should be seeing alot less and alot more

Just my opinion.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Now that Citi-Field is built next to Shea Stadium, I see no better use for taxpayer money than to build yet another one or two next door.
A LOT of money can be made for those building stadia.

Perhaps three more next to the two functional Yankee stadia as well. Heck, make it an even half dozen.

(Was that Willets Point rising from the ARTHUR Ashes?)

Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I wouldn't call that gentrification. A full-featured stadium was built with all the necessities, and an old business lost revenue. More simple capitalism.

I know the area and I find it hard to believe stadium goers were going to Mercedes' liquor store to buy a bottle of Henny. More like he has been outdone by increasing numbers of liquor stores and local nightlife (Dyckman St).

I hope that whole stretch gets gutted and torn down for some at least 8-12 story mixed income housing with ground level retail. As it stands it's an underutilized ghetto row. More jobs, more housing.
If you know that area, and you think it's a "ghetto", you have me seriously puzzled.

I live about 8 blocks away. I shop there all the time.

The apartment buildings in the area are mostly pre-war classics. Tearing them down in favor of what would likely wind up as the projects of the future is the height of absurdity.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Now that Citi-Field is built next to Shea Stadium, I see no better use for taxpayer money than to build yet another one or two next door.
A LOT of money can be made for those building stadia.

Perhaps three more next to the two functional Yankee stadia as well. Heck, make it an even half dozen.

(Was that Willets Point rising from the ARTHUR Ashes?)
These taxpayer subsidized stadiums are a national boondoggle/disgrace, and have been for years.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
These taxpayer subsidized stadiums are a national boondoggle/disgrace, and have been for years.
I have to agree, I love sports, but it is a rich man's game and it should be the team paying for their own stadiums, but instead they use stadiums as leverage saying they will leave if the city doesn't build them a new one.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
They've already revamped the place when they built Citifield - more food vendors (esp/ Shake Shack), more reason to go.

I remember about 2 years ago when my professor told me that there's only 1 resident there, which i was quite shocked with since there's people everywhere. However, that area IS the auto repair area and should remain. As much as I am disgusted with Willets Points, it is fine the way it is now. The city is trying way too hard to make every piece of the boroughs a world-class city with malls everywhere. I think it was kind of enough when Sky View was built and I'm not sure if the housing there has inflated or what but the fact that all these malls are popping up in NYC makes us no different from California.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
The city is trying way too hard to make every piece of the boroughs a world-class city with malls everywhere. I think it was kind of enough when Sky View was built and I'm not sure if the housing there has inflated or what but the fact that all these malls are popping up in NYC makes us no different from California.

Quiet you!

Sustainable

Pedestrian

Mixed use

Buzz words!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Quiet you!

Sustainable

Pedestrian

Mixed use

Buzz words!!!
Theres nothing wrong with Sustainable projects or mixed use projects , most of NYC is built using the mixed use format ie Retail or cafes on the bottom and residences on the top. It just so happens that this development is in poor taste , but there are alot of developments in NYC that are not and even more in Urban Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City