Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

42 posts, read 169,558 times

Advertisements

I don't know any male ny natives that graduated hs (being serious)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
That speaks more to the people you are surrounded by, and not to NYC as a whole. I would say you seriously need to re-evaluate your choice of friends/social circle.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
I don't know any male ny natives that graduated hs (being serious)
NYC high school graduation rate is diabolical. If you're male, its even worse. If you're a black male, worse still.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That speaks more to the people you are surrounded by, and not to NYC as a whole. I would say you seriously need to re-evaluate your choice of friends/social circle.
I admit to hanging with drug dealers and criminals. But where I'm from, it's still common to graduate or receive GED even if your a bad apple.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM

If where you are from it is common to graduate or receive GED even if you are a bad apple, then that only serves to prove my point. You really need to rethink the people with whom you surround yourself. Nothing good ever comes from criminals or drug dealers.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
If where you are from it is common to graduate or receive GED even if you are a bad apple, then that only serves to prove my point. You really need to rethink the people with whom you surround yourself. Nothing good ever comes from criminals or drug dealers.
This is true. I meet a lot of transplants who I tend to socialize with and we end with talking about education, some are very dumbfounded that I hold a degree born in the city and reside in the hood. Like Yahoo most people in this area are dropouts, true but not me. On the flipside many people who are out of town come from communities where majority of persons in the town or village holds either a high school diploma or high school dropout. Graduate from high school and join the forces while some drop out and learn a trade like making meth or being a mechanic. When people graduate from college and so forth they want to be around with people with the similar intellect. However I could be wrong.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
You're right, I'm blessed to still have a clean record. I was 19 and impressionable on my 1st move to nyc. All I cared about was bud, b*tches and jordans. I plan to do things different this time though. I'm thinking of my future

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Anyone know how diverse the "liberal" NYT is?
http://www.nytco.com/company/diversi...ion/index.html

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-28-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
they are not told subliminally...they are pretty direct about it and have been for ... 500 years or so. After the first few hundred years, I guess you do start to believe it. The fact that blacks are doing as well as they are considering they didn't really get "equality" in any real sense of the word until the 70s (remember, it was a felony to marry interacially until the 70s ...) is actually very impressive.
Not that interracial marriage has anything too do with this thread,
File:US miscegenation.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
but almost every European & Asian ethnic, racial & religious group eschewed marriage between its members and others, until after WWII & often until well into the '60s.
Quote:
Does anyone think you can turn anything around with half-a$$ed equality over the course of 30 years or so? Of course not...
Only if you want to. Of course, if you carry on about "The Man" and wallow in concepts of failure, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
equality ... causes too much competition for whites and they don't want to ever see themselves as a group living the way many blacks have to live in this country. i mean, can any of you imagine if that happened? they have to keep the upper-hand to keep their way of life in america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
white people rule and you know it. stop denying it by trying to educate me on some phony statistics.
I rest my case.

Last edited by bigjake54; 05-28-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 AM

I don't know what the point of this comment is? We are supposed to say "well everyone else made interacial marriage illegal, so it's ok for us too?" I didn't realize our morality and laws were based on what other countries were doing? We should be following China, Iran, and South Korea's laws right now?

I personally don't carry on "about the Man", but the idea that racism and it's impact is now just a figment of people's imagination and has no bearing on life in NYC, or scarier places in the US in 2012 is laughable. But don't take my word for it:

Staten Island cop accused of arresting man over race faces 20 years in prison | SILive.com
"an eight-year NYPD veteran then assigned to the Staten Island anti-crime unit, said he had no probable cause to charge the man, who spent a night in jail, with resisting arrest.

Afterward, prosecutors said, Daragjati spewed a racial epithet in boasting about the incident to a friend. Daragjati, who is white, crowed he had just "fried another n.....," said prosecutors."

And this is just the one caught due to undercover surveillance..what aren't we catching? I can list quite a few cases of similar outrageous behavior by police (you know, those who can destroy you and your family but are supposed to be on your side?). So save the "we are all equal and it's just the Black man's hangup which is the problem" nonsense for your friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City