Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, when you get busted, you change your story big time. You claimed that WalMart had absolutely no debt, so that investment banks were not important.

That is factually not true. Walmart still has considerable debt, and therefore is heavily involved in the debt markets. Apple, by purchasing treasuries (underwritten by banks) is HEAVILY involved in the debt markets and it is irrelevant if that is BORING.

You were wrong, and you said something that was proven wrong, plain and simple.
You argue with to many people on this type of form, it shows that you have no life but just to troll around, police and negate peoples comments such as caribny, livinsinglenyc, Norwoodboy, me, forest hill daddy and etc.

stewie - its friday, friday, XDD - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You argue with to many people on this type of form, it shows that you have no life but just to troll around, police and negate peoples comments such as caribny, livinsinglenyc, Norwoodboy, me, forest hill daddy and etc.
Thank you for saying that.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
They are at Fulton & Nostrand catching the A train. That's Central Bed-Stuy. They're also along the G train line at stops that you'd never see a white person, including Bedford-Nostrand, Myrtle-Willoughby, Flushing Avenue.

There are some quiet, nice brownstone blocks around the area, and that's where they're living. I don't know what will happen to them if they marry, stay in the area and have children.

But, the same could be said about Park Slope. People came and took it over completely, it changed, and people stayed.

In Park Slope they quickly reached a critical mass, which allowed them to transform the schools. I do not know if these others areas are like that as there is a larger permanent under class population due to NYCHA and other low income housing.

Looking at Harlem as an example few of these newcomers send their kids to those schools. Are the hipsters rich enough? I do not think that Central Harlem draws much of a hipster crowd who have kids.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,932,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Financial sector is shrinking in NYC as pundits have already noted, the industries labeled FIRE (finance, insurance, real estate) are waning which is why the city is pushing hard to attract ICE (intellectual, cultural, educational) and maintain employment.
This is true.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, Section 8 hasn't accepted new applications since 2009, and the City Advantage Housing program is closed.

As for making a living in the underground economy, yes and no. Try to get an apartment when you work in the underground economy. Landlords want to see your tax returns, W2s, proof of income. If you have just a cash job, then you're staying in someone else's place. You'll never get a place of your own.

Now, no city is ever going to be entirely poor person free. That does not mean, however, at least in certain desirable areas that poor people haven't been displaced, and not just the working poor, the welfare poor. Its happened big time in Manhattan south of 110th Street, any part of Harlem near Columbia University, most parts of Brooklyn within a 30 minute train ride to Manhattan, and LIC and Astoria.

Do keep in mind NYCHA is auctioning off empty lots, and project residents themselves fear that long term the city is preparing to sell the projects and displace them.

Put it this way the criminals and the drug dealers arent homeless and so they have figured it out, which actually makes my point. These arent necessarily the poorest people in the neighborhoods, even if they are the most destructive. For those who dont make $ that is what sleeping on the couch is all about.

The people who will suffer will be the working poor, and every city needs them. Do you plan to wash the dishes when you eat out? I doubt dishwashers will ever be anything other than poor.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily true. The tech giants actually earn quite a bit of money.

And the financial sector in NYC isn't going anywhere, neither is film and tv, advertising, the medical industry, or education.

The top guys in tech make loads of money. But do the younger guys, or even some of the IT folks? Most likely they barely hit 6 figures, way below what the hedge fund guys make. High mortgages/rent, and private school fees for 2 kids. I do not think so in NYC.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
I wonder will all this gentrification really be worth it
in the end if there are not enough high paying jobs for
people to pay these astronomical mortgages and rents.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And

401Ks, pension managers and insurance monies are concentrating on a few big players, many of whom are not even based in NYC.

Few in NYC. Try Boston. Any case these arent the highest paid folks.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
You can't be serious about the bolded. If anything they try to bring their culture to NYC, not embracing what's already here. If this wasn't the case, go check some blogs. All they do is complain about the trains, the hoods they moved into, the bums, the dirty city, the COL, etc. A lot have not been able to hack it and moved back home.

I understand about change, and have no issues with neighborhoods improving. But to say we need another cupcake shop, yoga studio or other is absurd. It's like a cleaner version of the hood where all you have is the same 5 types of businesses on every block.
You hit the nail on the head. Some out of towners can be very hypocritical and two faced about the hood, they talk about diversity, being open minded, liberal, smoking weed which is delivered by a Dominican or Jamaican drug dealer and the same time dislike the locals who live in the neighborhood. They often complain on here about col, qol, dirty city, horrible supermarkets. Miss J 74 a year ago I went to a Dominican restaurant in my area called La Arca and a hipster chick went inside the restaurant to get something to eat. The entire menu was in Spanish, her facial expression looked very perplexed and confused. I asked her do you need help ordering, and I asked her in a WASPY manner, I translated the menu for her and helped her order her food. I left with her and she said she will never eat there again because it was not inviting. Again in my area two British chicks were looking for spices at I at my local supermarket. These British chicks were attempting to make a Cuban dish. There were looking for a particular spice that was rare which they found, however that spice contained MSG inside. We spoke for a bit and she said if this was Manhattan this would have been unacceptable, but because this is a low income area they sell stuff like this. The supermarket does try hard to cater to the tastes out of town new comers. And another time a Transplant waiting online asked me what cards are people using to purchase groceries? He noted that this area Mott Haven is really poor then, I said yeah, I told him it has been this way for nearly a 100 years.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
In Park Slope they quickly reached a critical mass, which allowed them to transform the schools. I do not know if these others areas are like that as there is a larger permanent under class population due to NYCHA and other low income housing.

Looking at Harlem as an example few of these newcomers send their kids to those schools. Are the hipsters rich enough? I do not think that Central Harlem draws much of a hipster crowd who have kids.
Me personally I was hoping for gentrification to change public schools due to the fact those Transplant Yuppie parents will introduce suburban ethics and attitudes into the school system. I always wondered if gentrification can save NYC public school system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City