Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
People will move wherever individual circimstances will take them. Those investment bankers who moved to Carolina or elsewhere were probably 30 or 40-somethings who were caught in the wave of banking layoffs during the great recession and the banks in other states were only too happy to take them in. Likewise when the banking sector improves, 20-somethings out of college will be landing jobs in NYC (unless the sector keeps contracting) and work in the city until the next recession when circumstances will again force them to move elsewhere.
I do hope the financial sector jobs improve in NYC, but those that be want NYC to diversify its job market. Why do you think their is a strong push to make tech centers in NYC to compete against Silicon valley which is backed by Facebook, EBay, Google, Apple, Yahoo Oracle, Java, Seattle Backed by Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon and Boston with biotech. NYC has been doing good with mobile web app creation but mobile app creators can never be as large as Microsoft or google and will eventually be absorbed by a bigger entity like iOS photo sharing application called Instagram which was acquired by Facebook for a billon dollars is a perfect example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
/\/\

Then those are the fields (including healthcare and academe) where newcomers in NYC will be landing jobs while the ones who want to do banking will be looking elsewhere. Now it's Facebook and Google that are popular among college students seeking employment after graduation.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The key to everything is balance. Many inner city NY neighbourhoods have too many low-income, ghetto-mental people, too many thugs and gangsters, and could definitely use an infusion of middle income folk, especially open-minded young people. At this point in time, the dominant urban youth style seems to be hipster or one of its relatives, but despite the things about them that annoy some of us, having them move into the hood is a good thing.
Yes balance is good. And like you said, the "hood" doesn't have any balance of people. Hence why I support gentrification the hipster/yuppie movement when they move to the "hood" because they bring a good kind of change and balance to the community despite what some haters on this board say. Hipster/yuppies represent CHANGE and are the catalyst of GENTRIFICATION and urban improvement. They are the pioneers.

Let's be real, the "hood" element in a nutshell is pretty much what drags down this city more than anything else. Hood people are the achilles heel of NYC that prevent it from prospering to the next level. Both on the financial/fiscal side (welfare, food stamps, section 8, etc.) and on the social side (guns, drugs, gangs, hustlin', hanging out, tagging up, blasting music from a parked car or from an open apartment window, etc.)

Remove the "hood" element as much as possible from the 5 boroughs, and you will without a doubt see an increase in quality of life across the board. And while I understand that you have "innocent" people living in the hood, the sad reality is that in order to "cleanse" the hood, you have to price them out so they can move out of state or elsewhere.

Too bad the "innocent", non-hood people in the hood can't organize themselves and police themselves to put an end to the hood element in their community. They are their own worst enemy. Harlem, little by little is becoming a more desirable place to live, why? Because the hood people have been priced out and replaced by better quality residents who know the meaning of respect and value/take care of their property. That was not the case with the previous demographic.

Knowing those facts, how can you NOT be for gentrification? The positives outweigh the negatives. Just look at the big picture.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
/\/\

Then those are the fields (including healthcare and academe) where newcomers in NYC will be landing jobs while the ones who want to do banking will be looking elsewhere. Now it's Facebook and Google that are popular among college students seeking employment after graduation.
Correct. Google purchased a building in Chelsea for a billion dollars. IBM headquarters are located here as well. I had two buddies who went to Palo Alto looking for startup ideas but they failed at creating an app. Most college after grads school most notably males will fly to SF or Seattle seeking to work Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Google. Tech jobs don't attract much women.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM

55 posts, read 106,393 times
Aside from a trust funder how does a hipster who works free lance and or multiples low wage job's ( i.e host etc ) make it here financially? Even with roomates and being cost efficient it would seem as if living here would simply be very difficult to do in the long run.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 View Post
Aside from a trust funder how does a hipster who works free lance and or multiples low wage job's ( i.e host etc ) make it here financially? Even with roomates and being cost efficient it would seem as if living here would simply be very difficult to do in the long run.
Lets not forget that the majority of these types of folks are in debt from college.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Some of these "hipsters" make good income although not always in the 6 digits. Also many of those who are moving to BS, Bushwick, etc. are not really hipsters but yuppies with jobs who dress up like hipsters. They may not afford million dollar THs and condos but they could do the fix-upper vinyl house for 300K to 400K. NYT featured a couple who bought a TLC house in Bushwick. The woman was a wealth manager who blogs while the man was a musician.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM

55 posts, read 106,393 times
Quote:
Some of these "hipsters" make good income although not always in the 6 digits. Also many of those who are moving to BS, Bushwick, etc. are not really hipsters but yuppies with jobs who dress up like hipsters. They may not afford million dollar THs and condos but they could do the fix-upper vinyl house for 300K to 400K. NYT featured a couple who bought a TLC house in Bushwick. The woman was a wealth manager who blogs while the man was a musician.

Yeah i remember reading that a while back on curbedny as well

Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
Quote:
LOL but you're 100% spot on. I work in the digital/internet industry and believe me, there are a lot of high income hipster-dressing professionals around me. I know of two people that started internet business, sold them, and had enough cash from the sale to buy something. It may not have been enough for a SOHO penthouse, but enough to drop several hundred thousand on a property in an "up and coming" area.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes balance is good. And like you said, the "hood" doesn't have any balance of people. Hence why I support gentrification the hipster/yuppie movement when they move to the "hood" because they bring a good kind of change and balance to the community despite what some haters on this board say. Hipster/yuppies represent CHANGE and are the catalyst of GENTRIFICATION and urban improvement. They are the pioneers.

Let's be real, the "hood" element in a nutshell is pretty much what drags down this city more than anything else. Hood people are the achilles heel of NYC that prevent it from prospering to the next level. Both on the financial/fiscal side (welfare, food stamps, section 8, etc.) and on the social side (guns, drugs, gangs, hustlin', hanging out, tagging up, blasting music from a parked car or from an open apartment window, etc.)

Remove the "hood" element as much as possible from the 5 boroughs, and you will without a doubt see an increase in quality of life across the board. And while I understand that you have "innocent" people living in the hood, the sad reality is that in order to "cleanse" the hood, you have to price them out so they can move out of state or elsewhere.

Too bad the "innocent", non-hood people in the hood can't organize themselves and police themselves to put an end to the hood element in their community. They are their own worst enemy. Harlem, little by little is becoming a more desirable place to live, why? Because the hood people have been priced out and replaced by better quality residents who know the meaning of respect and value/take care of their property. That was not the case with the previous demographic.

Knowing those facts, how can you NOT be for gentrification? The positives outweigh the negatives. Just look at the big picture.
I said I like balance in a neighbourhood, but yuppies and gentrification usually do not = balance. And while I don't think violence and street crime are good things in a neighbourhood a lot of the things you mentioned as being "the Achilles Heel" of New York are definitely not, are often important and necessary parts of living in New York for some people, and sometimes things that give some neighbourhoods flavour and are hardly bad at all. Not only is there nothing wrong with low-income neighbourhoods with lots of Section 8 and welfare recipients, but low-income neighbourhoods are a necessary part of any city, to maintain balance. No one except the rich want to live in a city where poor people aren't welcome.

My original point was that hipsters and their ilk bring much-needed diversity to neighbourhoods that don't have enough of it. But I don't want to see yuppies streaming into the South Bronx or Bed Stuy or Bushwick. Some neighbourhoods need to remain friendly to lower-income residents, because most of the city is far-from-friendly to low-income residents. That doesn't mean violent crime and other serious quality of life issues should be ignored, but a little bit of loud music, people hanging out on a stoop or playing dice on a corner (hanging out ain't a crime and there's nothing wrong with it), even people drinking a beer or smokin a blunt in the street don't bother me or most other people as long as they don't bother me or other people by harassing me or starting **** or whatever. Otherwise, these activities have their place in urban neighbourhoods and go practically unnoticed unless you choose to pay attention to them. But you could also pay attention to the roar of traffic, the honking of cars, the packed subways at rush hour, the snobby waiters in nice restaurants, the crazy housing costs and on and on - but you deal with this stuff because it's part of living in New York. So are a lot of other things that you find offensive but many people live with and don't even notice, or just ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City