Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

you can't oversaturate a place with the poor,
then oversaturate it with the rich overnight.
there has to be enough for all classes, including
people between the two extremes on all levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Me personally I was hoping for gentrification to change public schools due to the fact those Transplant Yuppie parents will introduce suburban ethics and attitudes into the school system. I always wondered if gentrification can save NYC public school system?
I have wondered the same.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The top guys in tech make loads of money. But do the younger guys, or even some of the IT folks? Most likely they barely hit 6 figures, way below what the hedge fund guys make. High mortgages/rent, and private school fees for 2 kids. I do not think so in NYC.
No, they don't make hedge fund money but two 6 figure salaries with good credit (and all the other mortgage qualifies) can buy or rent homes/condos in the up and coming areas. That's the point of them pushing into these areas. They can't afford the $3 million brownstone in Park Slope but they can get the $600,000 brownstone just off of Nostrand Ave that needs TLC.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No They can't afford the $3 million brownstone in Park Slope but they can get the $600,000 brownstone just off of Nostrand Ave that needs TLC.

But there arent enough of them to change the local schools. Will they want to mount a messianic fight, with a few of the interested locals, can they afford the high cost private school, or will they leave defeated, once they see that the local schools ara a hopeless cause?

That is the question. They might want to stay,but will they be able to stay when we considre the shortage of affordable quality education.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
But there arent enough of them to change the local schools. Will they want to mount a messianic fight, with a few of the interested locals, can they afford the high cost private school, or will they leave defeated, once they see that the local schools ara a hopeless cause?

That is the question. They might want to stay,but will they be able to stay when we considre the shortage of affordable quality education.
Look to the past to understand the present. Look to the present to know the future.

Gentrification has been occuring since the late 50s and 60s, picked up in the 70s when the hippie gen decided to settle down, and really blew up in the 80s with the advent of the "Yuppie".

Do the homework. What happened to those generations? What occured, when their children reached school age?

The schools in Park Slope didn't change as the result of "critical mass"! ****, there was only one public school, PS 321.
That school "changed" not because there came a critical mass of yuppies, but because specific and distinc people determined NOT to leave Park Slope, and as a consequence they would have to create change.

It started with just a handful of people, going into the school, getting involved, and making a lot of noise, at the board of ed, with local politicians, and campaigning and voting!

It is important to note, that there wasn't any single solution. For one thing, he people who made 321 work, did so, because they had little choice. Financially, locked into their homes and jobs, unable to afford private school, they had little choice.

Simultaneously, in Park Slope, you had those who could well afford and did afford private schools, rught in the neighborhood, as well as downtown Brooklyn.

Also, there were those who chucked it! Park Slope founded many communities in the tri state area, though none to my awareness on Long Island. NJ, up the Hudson, and CT, all have communities transformed by ex Park Slopers. Those who abandoned the neighborhood and started over.

I don't mean white flighters, but the yippies, hippies and dippies, the urban pioneers, who made the same noise about diversity, but actually did try hard to live it. Unlike today's white ghetto dwellers, who just need a cheap place to live, and given the capability w/b right smack in the middle of Manhattan. Williamsburg being an exception I suppose.

Some even left the area altogether, New England and the Northwest, popular destinations for ex Sloppers. When I last lived in the Slope, during the last real estate downtown in the 90s, Vermont, New Hampshire were very popular exodus points, so was Nyack. Now, look at those places.

So what today's hipsters and Transplants do when it is their turn, history provides the blueprint. History just repeats, but always with some new twist.

I find it laughingly amazing that so many in this forum were born yesterday, and think this is all new and happening with some great fever beyond anything past.

People love to invoke the term Yuppie w/o any true comprehension of the term nor the times which created them. I guess because they are your parents, and you can't conceive of them being YOU!! LOL!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Yuppie parents were capable of changing schools around Park Slope but I higjly doubt they can change schools in bedstuy unless they force the dregs of society out of that hood. For some its either private school and not Catholic schools or back to the burbs. Right now millenials are turning 30 and the alarminv trend is bigger space and thats aomething NYC does not have umless one is willing to move to middle class areas far from the cities core.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Look to the past to understand the present. Look to the present to know the future.

Gentrification has been occuring since the late 50s and 60s, picked up in the 70s when the hippie gen decided to settle down, and really blew up in the 80s with the advent of the "Yuppie".

Do the homework. What happened to those generations? What occured, when their children reached school age?

The schools in Park Slope didn't change as the result of "critical mass"! ****, there was only one public school, PS 321.
That school "changed" not because there came a critical mass of yuppies, but because specific and distinc people determined NOT to leave Park Slope, and as a consequence they would have to create change.

It started with just a handful of people, going into the school, getting involved, and making a lot of noise, at the board of ed, with local politicians, and campaigning and voting!

It is important to note, that there wasn't any single solution. For one thing, he people who made 321 work, did so, because they had little choice. Financially, locked into their homes and jobs, unable to afford private school, they had little choice.

Simultaneously, in Park Slope, you had those who could well afford and did afford private schools, rught in the neighborhood, as well as downtown Brooklyn.

Also, there were those who chucked it! Park Slope founded many communities in the tri state area, though none to my awareness on Long Island. NJ, up the Hudson, and CT, all have communities transformed by ex Park Slopers. Those who abandoned the neighborhood and started over.

I don't mean white flighters, but the yippies, hippies and dippies, the urban pioneers, who made the same noise about diversity, but actually did try hard to live it. Unlike today's white ghetto dwellers, who just need a cheap place to live, and given the capability w/b right smack in the middle of Manhattan. Williamsburg being an exception I suppose.

Some even left the area altogether, New England and the Northwest, popular destinations for ex Sloppers. When I last lived in the Slope, during the last real estate downtown in the 90s, Vermont, New Hampshire were very popular exodus points, so was Nyack. Now, look at those places.

So what today's hipsters and Transplants do when it is their turn, history provides the blueprint. History just repeats, but always with some new twist.

I find it laughingly amazing that so many in this forum were born yesterday, and think this is all new and happening with some great fever beyond anything past.

People love to invoke the term Yuppie w/o any true comprehension of the term nor the times which created them. I guess because they are your parents, and you can't conceive of them being YOU!! LOL!
Very true, highly liberal east village had bohemians since the 1950s and 1960s.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-11-2013 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree with this. Yuppie parents were capable of changing schools around Park Slope but I higjly doubt they can change schools in bedstuy unless they force the dregs of society out of that hood. For some its either private school and not Catholic schools or back to the burbs. Right now millenials are turning 30 and the alarminv trend is bigger space and thats aomething NYC does not have umless one is willing to move to middle class areas far from the cities core.
Those who have money and who do decide to stay in the city (some need to because of the work they do) can just send their kids to private schools or Catholic schools.

If they are making a lot of money, you can indeed get space anywhere in NY. It will cost you a lot, but its there even in the city core.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Those who have money and who do decide to stay in the city (some need to because of the work they do) can just send their kids to private schools or Catholic schools.

If they are making a lot of money, you can indeed get space anywhere in NY. It will cost you a lot, but its there even in the city core.
No duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Private schools in brownstone Brooklyn esp. the ones adjacent to the Bed Stuy area like Waldorf and Brooklyn Free are no joke to get into. My co-workers there are complaining that the wait lists are long and after you get through that, you need to cough out tuition in excess of $20K for K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City