Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,051,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And a lot of companies can't hire them. Convicted felons cannot be employed in certain industries like the banking sector.

Also, be honest, let's say a man has a history of assault. What company is dumb enough to hire them?

Suppose a retail story hires a man with a history of violence. Suppose one day a complaining customer comes into said retail store. The customer gets on the felon's last nerve, who punches him. Now you've had an injured customer and a LAWSUIT as the store will be responsible for the customers medical bills and any lost wages due to hospitalization or treatment.

Its not impossible for a felon to get a job for a tax credit, but its not easy for a variety of reasons. What if the felon beats up a coworker? Again, the employer could be sued.

A lot of felons are not strictly disabled per say, but would you really want to hire a violent employee who might punch you, the boss?

Or if someone has a history of theft, would you hire an employee who would still from the business? I once knew a coke addicted bartender who bragged about his credit card theft.'

Businesses have to be careful about who they hire.

Felons tend to make a big percentage of those who are homeless, on welfare, etc., for these reasons.
The fact you even had to explain this speaks volumes.

The only places that have historically hired felons is the meatpacking industry and seaports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM

107,095 posts, read 109,424,019 times
gee i wonder why... must be old cell mate buddies lol

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they can't get a job, well, too bad for them. They can go walk off a tall cliff.
Interesting.

And the super rich corporate raiders that plunged us into the second, deepest darkest depression of all time? What about them? What should THEIR punishments be?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
but what do you propose for those adults who are not U.S. citizens, however, their minor children who have been born on U.S. soil ARE legal citizens and entitled to public assistance if their single parent household is unemployed or underemployed? Their parent (s) are their legal guardians and must apply for benefits (food, shelter, healthcare, education, etc., etc., etc.) on these children's behalf and thus secure inadvertently food, shelter, and healthcare (in the case of pregnant mothers) for themselves as well.

A completely different kettle of fish when it comes to children who are in need and entitled to benefits.
This same poster said the convicts who can't get jobs should jump off a cliff and kill themselves due to their own "bad choices".

So you know she couldn't give a damn about some illegal's kids. Ship their mamas back home and sell their kids off to child sex slavers to make back the money.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
gee i wonder why... must be old cell mate buddies lol
You are so bad! LOL!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,208,967 times
I did very well from 1966 to 1973 as did most of theose I knew, all college grads and then the slaughter began. But strangely my mother and her generation stuck all their savings into FDIC protected long tem 15% CD's and even U.S. Savings bonds paying 12%, they did well with the attempts to stave off the Inflation. In 1993 I finally cashed her expired CD with a 15% rate. She used that money, along with Social Security to give her a better income than she ever had before.

But Unemployment was massive and protracted. It was the fist time that Unemplyment Compensation was extended beyond a year...two if my memory serves. The pain was NOT for the elderly but for those recently joining the job market.

Studies are interesting, but very often politically slanted, but there is no substitute for having lived through a period.

Quote:
The 1973–75 recession or 1970s recession was a period of economic stagnation in much of the Western world during the 1970s, putting an end to the general post-World War II economic boom. It differed from many previous recessions as being a stagflation, where high unemployment coincided with high inflation. The period was also described as one of "malaise" (ill-ease; compare "depression").

"Malaise" doesn't BEGIN to tell the story.

Quote:
During this recession, the Gross Domestic Product of the United States fell 3.2 percent. Though the recession ended in March 1975, the unemployment rate did not peak for several months. In May 1975, the rate reached its height for the cycle of 9 percent.[4] (Three cycles have higher peaks than this, the late 2000s recession, where the unemployment rate peaked at 10 percent in October 2009 in the United States[5], the Early 1980s recession where unemployment peaked at 10.8% in November and December 1982, and the Great Depression, where unemployment peaked at 25% in 1933.)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 AM

107,095 posts, read 109,424,019 times
The studies i refer to are pure numbers crunching and have no political slant at all.

What you have to realize is for those retired or living on a fixed income what constitues worst case scenerios is a very different set of circumstances then what effects others not living off savings or spending down.

Very very different meaning in events and things depending if one is in the accumulation stage of life still scrimping and saving or if they are in the decumulation stage and spending down to live.

It is very interesting what constitutes these worst case scenerios. What we see on the surface does not even hint at what lies below the surface and actually is the real factors that determine how we do especially as retirees or if on fixed income.

Thanks to researchers like dr. Pfau, michael kitces and bill bernstein we now understand a whole lot better about worst case scenerio planning.

By the way those cd,s and high interest rates you refer to were only good deals once inflation fell.

If inflation continued higher and higher or stayed high you were always behind the curve loosing ground.

12% cd's in a 15% inflation scenerio is not good.

It is this difference between the accumulation stage vs the decumulation stage of our lives that determines what is going to be worst case scenerios.

I can explain the difference if anyone wants to know but i don't really want to pull us off topic. None the less it is important enough if anyone really wants to know.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-01-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,208,967 times
Quote:
I have sympathy for children as much an anybody, but its time parents start doing the right thing. get a second job like a lot of hardworking immigrants I see
It really is SO much easier just to inherit wealth and run for public office so you can tell people to get second jobs.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,154,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
but what do you propose for those adults who are not U.S. citizens, however, their minor children who have been born on U.S. soil ARE legal citizens and entitled to public assistance if their single parent household is unemployed or underemployed? Their parent (s) are their legal guardians and must apply for benefits (food, shelter, healthcare, education, etc., etc., etc.) on these children's behalf and thus secure inadvertently food, shelter, and healthcare (in the case of pregnant mothers) for themselves as well.

A completely different kettle of fish when it comes to children who are in need and entitled to benefits.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
DEPORT THEM. What don't you understand about the word "ILLEGAL?" They can either take their kids with them, leave them here in the care of others, or turn them over to the state.

We need to remove the anchor baby laws. If a child is born on US soil to non-US citizens/legal permanent residents, they should get a record of birth, but not automatic citizenship.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,154,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
How about everyone pays their own way? What?!?!

Personal responsibility?!? What?

I find it interesting that you said "entitled to public assistance..."

I have sympathy for children as much an anybody, but its time parents start doing the right thing. get a second job like a lot of hardworking immigrants I see. if you cannot affordmto feed 6 children than don't have so many. It' irresponsible!
People with six kids they can't afford should be required to be sterilized before they can get benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City