Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
And it shouldn't.

People really need to stop controlling what the poor should eat. Goodness!

It's always about picking on who's the weakest. I see many of you don't have *ish to say about Wall Street getting billions of dollars in bailout money, but yet want to pick on the single mother who wants to buy pop tarts for her kids.

Freaking amazing.

Mind your business. Why is that so hard to do?

Just MIND YOUR BUSINESS.
It's MY BUSINESS AS LONG AS I'M PAYING FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It won't be as easy though if they are set up like WIC where instead of a "cash" value they'll be good for certain measures of specific foods.
To even attempt to try to stop poor people from eating junk food, you'd have to spend billions of dollars on screening and enforcement.

People would still find ways around it. Just buy nice healthy food with your stamps, sell it to a friend or family member who has a job, and then boom, you have cash for whatever you want to eat (or drink booze in the case of some drunks I know who eat in soup kitchens, but collect food stamps).

So I hope you enjoy paying even more tax dollars to pay people to act as nannies to others, on what they should eat.

Its another reason why this will never happen, as I doubt in this era of budget cuts the feds or the states would so foolishly allocate resources. Oh, and the wealthy junk food industry simply would never let this come to pass. They'd take this to court, and the courts would strike this down hard and big.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To even attempt to try to stop poor people from eating junk food, you'd have to spend billions of dollars on screening and enforcement.

So I hope you enjoy paying even more tax dollars to pay people to act as nannies to others, on what they should eat.

Its another reason why this will never happen, as I doubt in this era of budget cuts the feds or the states would so foolishly allocate resources. Oh, and the wealthy junk food industry simply would never let this come to pass. They'd take this to court, and the courts would strike this down hard and big.
I don't think so. Actually if you go back to the original food stamp program, it did restrict purchases to healthy foods like milk and dairy and produce.

There wouldn't be anything "Nanny" about it. Each person would be allocated certain amounts of certain products. Just like WIC.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
It's MY BUSINESS AS LONG AS I'M PAYING FOR IT!
It should be your business to improve the lives of children, especially since those children will, sooner than you know, compose a part of the society of which you are also a part.

"Mind your business" is a quite common ghetto mantra. As I pointed out earlier, perhaps without sufficient bluntness.

I agree about the junk food industry. Funny how people picked up on marketing liquor and cigarettes in lower-income areas, made a big fuss, but not junk food. People do comment about it but more action to create awareness should be taken. On 125th Street, there is a McDonald's or similar every ten feet.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM

Actually, I see no reason to improve the lives of anyone.

If someone wants to do something "bad" they will.

The war on drugs has not stopped drug use. Prohibition failed.

Annerk, you are not personally paying for anything. You are not the government. You are one person out of 300 million. The country does not revolve around you.

So really, what you'd like to see is 100% irrelevant. There's no pending legislation that covers what you speak of. There's no talk in the media about it. All this is the rants of a mad person on the internet. Rant away, it won't change anything.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:

If someone wants to do something "bad" they will.

The war on drugs has not stopped drug use. Prohibition failed.

Annerk, you are not personally paying for anything. You are not the government. You are one person out of 300 million. The country does not revolve around you.

So really, what you'd like to see is 100% irrelevant. There's no pending legislation that covers what you speak of. There's no talk in the media about it. All this is the rants of a mad person on the internet. Rant away, it won't change anything.
It's your money too, and you should be equally appalled at how it is being wasted.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It should be your business to improve the lives of children, especially since those children will, sooner than you know, compose a part of the society of which you are also a part.

"Mind your business" is a quite common ghetto mantra. As I pointed out earlier, perhaps without sufficient bluntness.

I agree about the junk food industry. Funny how people picked up on marketing liquor and cigarettes in lower-income areas, made a big fuss, but not junk food. People do comment about it but more action to create awareness should be taken. On 125th Street, there is a McDonald's or similar every ten feet.
Hmmm, well, I'm sure everyone knows that junk food is "bad" for them. However, its their money, and their choice to live as they please.

And as for well to do people, I recall a young woman at Cornell getting arrested when the cops found $150k of heroine in her apartment. Wealthy people can do things that are bad for them to.

Bush II struggled with substance abuse, and he's far from the only wealthy person to have done it. There's been a problem with cocaine on Wall Street (they drug test everyone now), major alcohol and drug issues in Hollywood, and lets not talk about drug use on college campuses.

All of this is unhealthy, but no, its cool to pick on poor people, right?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
It's your money too, and you should be equally appalled at how it is being wasted.
No, I have better concerns in my life. I really don't care how the taxes I pay are spent. I care about what I do with my own money, and I care about the future of my career and life. What other people I don't give a damn about. Too busy dealing with my own life and my own situation.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, well, I'm sure everyone knows that junk food is "bad" for them. However, its their money, and their choice to live as they please.

And as for well to do people, I recall a young woman at Cornell getting arrested when the cops found $150k of heroine in her apartment. Wealthy people can do things that are bad for them to.

Bush II struggled with substance abuse, and he's far from the only wealthy person to have done it. There's been a problem with cocaine on Wall Street (they drug test everyone now), major alcohol and drug issues in Hollywood, and lets not talk about drug use on college campuses.

All of this is unhealthy, but no, its cool to pick on poor people, right?
People are not very smart. I rest my case.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, people ARE extremely selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City