Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

A woman who worked as a recruiter who said she did deal with companies that would consider hiring felons for tax incentives basically said companies were least interested in violent offenders.

So I guess if you had no violent convictions, like drug dealing (but you didn't hurt or kill anyone, just drug sales) companies were more likely to give you a chance for the tax credit. These were retail jobs, mind you, not corporate jobs which tend to be a lot less forgiving, and certainly not jobs that require professional licenses.

So yes, its possible for ex cons to get work, it just will not be easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 AM

669 posts, read 1,274,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And a lot of companies can't hire them. Convicted felons cannot be employed in certain industries like the banking sector.

Also, be honest, let's say a man has a history of assault. What company is dumb enough to hire them?

Suppose a retail story hires a man with a history of violence. Suppose one day a complaining customer comes into said retail store. The customer gets on the felon's last nerve, who punches him. Now you've had an injured customer and a LAWSUIT as the store will be responsible for the customers medical bills and any lost wages due to hospitalization or treatment.

Its not impossible for a felon to get a job for a tax credit, but its not easy for a variety of reasons. What if the felon beats up a coworker? Again, the employer could be sued.

A lot of felons are not strictly disabled per say, but would you really want to hire a violent employee who might punch you, the boss?

Or if someone has a history of theft, would you hire an employee who would still from the business? I once knew a coke addicted bartender who bragged about his credit card theft.'

Businesses have to be careful about who they hire.

Felons tend to make a big percentage of those who are homeless, on welfare, etc., for these reasons.
This is true especially the last part about a lot of homeless and ppl on welfare are ex cons who can't get a job

Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I was perusing through and came across this article that maybe of interest to all of you? Do you think this will ever happen in NYC?

Georgia’s war against the poor: The southern state is emptying its welfare rolls at the same time that poverty is soaring. - Slate Magazine
You must not be old enough to remember that starting in the 1950s/1960s, NYC and NYS became a haven for the poor from the south: we paid better benefits. Result? We now pay more in this state than almost anywhere else to support the people on welfare.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You must not be old enough to remember that starting in the 1950s/1960s, NYC and NYS became a haven for the poor from the south: we paid better benefits. Result? We now pay more in this state than almost anywhere else to support the people on welfare.
Not just the South, from other countries as well.

With that said, there have been big cuts in benefits. With more pending. Not to mention what Congress might cut.

Unless you're on disability, there's a cut off point on welfare. Clinton's orders.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
And a lot of companies can't hire them. Convicted felons cannot be employed in certain industries like the banking sector.

Also, be honest, let's say a man has a history of assault. What company is dumb enough to hire them?

Suppose a retail story hires a man with a history of violence. Suppose one day a complaining customer comes into said retail store. The customer gets on the felon's last nerve, who punches him. Now you've had an injured customer and a LAWSUIT as the store will be responsible for the customers medical bills and any lost wages due to hospitalization or treatment.

Its not impossible for a felon to get a job for a tax credit, but its not easy for a variety of reasons. What if the felon beats up a coworker? Again, the employer could be sued.

A lot of felons are not strictly disabled per say, but would you really want to hire a violent employee who might punch you, the boss?

Or if someone has a history of theft, would you hire an employee who would still from the business? I once knew a coke addicted bartender who bragged about his credit card theft.'

Businesses have to be careful about who they hire.

Felons tend to make a big percentage of those who are homeless, on welfare, etc., for these reasons.
If they can't get a job, well, too bad for them. They can go walk off a tall cliff. It's not the taxpayers problem to take responsibility for people who make bad choices in life. Just like we shouldn't be bailing out banks who are in financial trouble because people signed for loans they couldn't afford. The single biggest problem with this country today is the lack of personal responsibility.

By the way--the crappy commercial laundry near me hires felons. They can sort hospital laundry if they can't find more desirable work.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
A woman who worked as a recruiter who said she did deal with companies that would consider hiring felons for tax incentives basically said companies were least interested in violent offenders.

So I guess if you had no violent convictions, like drug dealing (but you didn't hurt or kill anyone, just drug sales) companies were more likely to give you a chance for the tax credit. These were retail jobs, mind you, not corporate jobs which tend to be a lot less forgiving, and certainly not jobs that require professional licenses.

So yes, its possible for ex cons to get work, it just will not be easy.
At the company I just sold we had people with felony convictions. Mostly drugs, one domestic violence, one assault due to a barroom brawl, a few DUI's. Each was taken case-by-case. The only thing we wouldn't even consider was a sex crime. (Romeo and Juliet situations would have been considered.)

By the way, I have a friend who was able to get a professional license 10 years after a DUI with bodily injury. It took a lot of hoop jumping, but it did happen and they are now working in the medical field. It can be done depending on the situation and how hard the person works to rehabilitate themselves.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they can't get a job, well, too bad for them. They can go walk off a tall cliff. It's not the taxpayers problem to take responsibility for people who make bad choices in life. Just like we shouldn't be bailing out banks who are in financial trouble because people signed for loans they couldn't afford. The single biggest problem with this country today is the lack of personal responsibility.

By the way--the crappy commercial laundry near me hires felons. They can sort hospital laundry if they can't find more desirable work.
Sometimes retailers will hire people with questionable pasts to do warehousing work. Not direct contact with customers, money, or credit cards.

I'm not saying its impossible for them to get jobs. It will be difficult, maybe very difficult depending on what crime the felon did and some go homeless permanently. That's just how that goes.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
At the company I just sold we had people with felony convictions. Mostly drugs, one domestic violence, one assault due to a barroom brawl, a few DUI's. Each was taken case-by-case. The only thing we wouldn't even consider was a sex crime. (Romeo and Juliet situations would have been considered.)

By the way, I have a friend who was able to get a professional license 10 years after a DUI with bodily injury. It took a lot of hoop jumping, but it did happen and they are now working in the medical field. It can be done depending on the situation and how hard the person works to rehabilitate themselves.
Re, the professional license situation, I've heard of such cases rarely, and boy does the person have to probe themselves.

Then again, I knew a drug addicted, street drag queen hooker who went back to being a man and became a hospital worker (I saw him in the hospital, working). This was years after his colorful past. LOL

It still depends on the crime, how often they repeated, what other issues are there, and yes, on how hard the person works to put that past them. I think the younger the person reforms the better.

I think if someone because of I past has difficulty getting a job, they might volunteer somewhere for awhile. If the person can prove that they are hard working, stable, and decent (even if they had a past, or just a long gap in employment) that goes along way in helping them get future jobs.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Sometimes retailers will hire people with questionable pasts to do warehousing work. Not direct contact with customers, money, or credit cards.

I'm not saying its impossible for them to get jobs. It will be difficult, maybe very difficult depending on what crime the felon did and some go homeless permanently. That's just how that goes.
Most warehouse and manufacturing type places will hire people with felonies. Anyone on parole or probation has a built in employment office with the system--DOC will actually place them at companies that have arrangements to hire people with criminal backgrounds. Mines and oil/gas fields will also hire them.

Some veterans are homeless and society owes them a lot more than some idiot who used a five finger discount because they wanted a new wide screen.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 AM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
wrong , most do not hire felons. just about every company today runs bankground checks and very few do.

according to the economic bureau of research only 12% of all the companies surveyed said they would hire a felon. i know we won't. other surveys had higher results but still not high.

some areas do better then others.

some states are trying to put through bills to increase hiring of convicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City