Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,379 times

Advertisements

Ok since we are so facinated on this forum about NYC 'Ghettos'. How would you rank the better/ok ones that you might be able to live, to the worst ones that you won't even step in to explore and not so good ones to live at all.

So from one to whatever (however many Ghettos are there), how would you ranked these Ghettos? List them from better to worse. Ok you Ghetto experts, how will your list look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,320 times
Oh give it up please. No one is going to share an unpopular opinion and risk being banned.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
I think in general a lot of ghettos are livable. To me the worst places seem to be those that are isolated and far, and have projects.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:18 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,400 times
My ghetto is better than your ghetto na na na na na.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

How is a ghetto livable especially when it's poverty stricken? The term ghetto used to apply to section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure. The word was originally used to refer to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy, where Jews were required to live. The corresponding German term was Judengasse. In Moroccan Arabic, ghettos were called mellah. The term came into widespread use during World War II to refer to Nazi ghettos.

The term is now commonly used to refer to any poverty-stricken urban area. In the U.S., "rural ghetto" is used to describe mobile home parks, farm labor housing tracts, and Indian reservations. Urban neighborhoods where Hispanic immigrants settled in the late 20th century (called barrios) are said to be comparable to ghettos, because most immigrants are clustered in culturally isolated enclaves.

Ghettos are formed in three ways:[1]

* As ports of entry where minorities, and especially immigrant minorities, voluntarily choose to live with their own kind.
* When the majority uses compulsion -- typically violence, hostility, or legal barriers -- to force minorities into particular areas.
* When the majority is willing and able to pay more than the minority to live with its own kind.

(From Wikipedia).

The current status of any ghetto is crime ridden, poverty infested and deplete of resources and services. It's unbelievable that this would warrant a discussion about a ghetto being a great place to live. Just unbelievable.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
good ghettoes and bad ghettoes....i actually think i'll remain mum on this 1 lol

Old 11-16-2007, 04:16 PM

Well I didn't call them 'good' ghettos. LOL. I think it would be better to name a few of ones will less crime and ones that have improve, so some people who are venturing looking for a place to live know that some of these neighborhoods are better than others. This is a place where alot of people moving to New York or people moving around the city look for information. So It will be fair if we can settle once and for all, what 'ghettos' are you willing to tolerate and live and others that you would not think about. There is have to be some neighborhoods more dangerous than others. Like in the bronx, I would tolerate to live in Mott Haven than Soundview or Morrisana for example.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Oh okay you want a list of ghetto areas that are going to gentrify in our recessionary economy filled with a subprime crisis and credit crunch. Oh okay. Well, the best answer for that would come from a real estate agent or a developer. They will tell you what areas they are looking to gentrify and are on the "upswing." I can give you a hint, any area that's within 30 minutes from midtown Manhattan. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:20 AM

Hmm, how about a regular working class person that can't afford a condo? Which usually are the people moving around in the city. So what 'ghetto' wil be ok for that person.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Yeah but you have to admit some are much worse than others. For instance I would feel much more comfortable in Fordham, Harlem, or Wash. Heights than in Soundview, or East New York. I also find some parts of Yonkers, Mt Vernon, Far Rockaway, and Staten Island to be scary as hell and you will never find me there for sure.

There are different degrees of ghetto. lol. Some places are ghetto and some places are real ghetto.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 11-17-2007 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City