Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yup, Seventh Floor, that's the building that I Love LI posted about. I guess they added the "II" after Mitchell Lama sold it. I was a patient of Dr. Kurtz. whose office was in the lobby of the building facing 105th Street for more than 30 years. Spent many summers as a guest at the pool, which was located in a particularly shady and windy spot. Bad place for a pool. Lots of memories. I still can't figure out how to upload my Sandy pictures on the CD site. I have several taken last Nov. in front of Surfside and Dayton.
In your profile you can make a picture album and save pics there. Also if you save your pics to a site like Flickr or Photobucket, you can then link to the pics in that in posts and show the whole pictures in your posts. Otherwise, when you link a picture from your computer it comes out in a post as a little thumbnail link and people have to click on it to see it. If you go search in CD's "Administration" Forum, there should be some information and "how to" stuff about adding photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Does that mean he did not evacuate and stayed during Sandy? LOL! So did our friend, even though he (and cat) were invited to our house! (He stayed there during Irene too.) He also parked his car somewhere on higher ground within walking distance of the building and it did not get flooded or ruined at all (it also did not get flooded during Irene either).
Yes, they stuck it out. Crazier were my friends of a friend who lived in a private house near the bay in the upper 50s. Two guys in their 80s, one who can't see, the other who can't hear and a middle aged daughter. They scrambled up to the second floor while the water rushed in and ruined their first floor and car parked on the street. They stayed there all that time when power was out, no heat, no generator. They had offers to stay with others, but they refused to budge.

Thank you for the information about posting pictures. You are always helpful.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Are you talking about the buildings on Beach 9th going towards Cornaga? Those buildings are ok but I wouldn't live there because it's far from the train and any store.
Yes, I was talking about those buildings on Beach 9th going towards Cornaga. A couple of other streets not far away have buildings too. I lived in one of those buildings. It wasn't too far from the train or from the store(just walk to Mott Avenue, near the train station and there's a bunch of stores there). I thought the surrounding area was pretty.

But of course we all have different tastes.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A couple of other streets not far away have buildings too. I lived in one of those buildings.
Those buildings are on Neilson Street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, they stuck it out. Crazier were my friends of a friend who lived in a private house near the bay in the upper 50s. Two guys in their 80s, one who can't see, the other who can't hear and a middle aged daughter. They scrambled up to the second floor while the water rushed in and ruined their first floor and car parked on the street. They stayed there all that time when power was out, no heat, no generator. They had offers to stay with others, but they refused to budge.

U mean in the 60s, don't you? Because there's no houses by the bay in the upper 50s - if you're talking about Rockaway.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:

That sounds like one of the many Hurricane Katrina NOLA horror stories!

Hopefully you'll post the pics ... would like to see them!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
U mean in the 60s, don't you? Because there's no houses by the bay in the upper 50s - if you're talking about Rockaway.
Yes, sorry , 69th-I'm pretty sure. Definitely Rockaway. I don't generally go to that area any more except to drive through, but these were friends that I sort of know of a closer friend.

I tried to post the pictures, but there was notification that the file is too big. I can't re-upload them to my computer.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, sorry , 69th-I'm pretty sure. Definitely Rockaway. I don't generally go to that area any more except to drive through, but these were friends that I sort of know of a closer friend.

I tried to post the pictures, but there was notification that the file is too big. I can't re-upload them to my computer.
The 60s gets serious flooding even without a superstorm....I would never live on that last block, Bayfield Avenue.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
The 60s gets serious flooding even without a superstorm....I would never live on that last block, Bayfield Avenue.
So very true. My long-time childhood friend lived on 65th Street until 2007 and lost at least 3 cars. But with Sandy, these elderly people told me that the water rushed up quickly on the staircase. Seagirt, at least it used to, get big pockets of flooding, not from the ocean, but just from the rain. I guess the ground gets saturated very easily.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
So very true. My long-time childhood friend lived on 65th Street until 2007 and lost at least 3 cars. But with Sandy, these elderly people told me that the water rushed up quickly on the staircase. Seagirt, at least it used to, get big pockets of flooding, not from the ocean, but just from the rain. I guess the ground gets saturated very easily.
I think it's because its low sea level and not the best drainage system. It never floods on my block but during Sandy the water almost came into the lobby of my building. 1 more foot higher and all of the 1st floor apartments would have experienced a flood.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City