Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 AM

34,033 posts, read 47,252,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by met77act View Post
I like the beach and thought moving there might be a good option. That is if the neighborhood is safe. I don't mind longer commute since my job is off the A train.
I live out here. Majority of it is not safe but for me its not much of an issue since I grew up here. My train ride is 53 minutes from Chambers Street to Beach 60th Street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM

24 posts, read 63,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I live out here. Majority of it is not safe but for me its not much of an issue since I grew up here. My train ride is 53 minutes from Chambers Street to Beach 60th Street.
Thank you. Which neighborhoods in far Rockaway would you suggest to look at?

Also, during the weekend, is the subway ride a lot longer/slower?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:

Just avoid the areas with a lot of housing projects and people on governmental programs and its reasonable safe. From Rockaway Park to Neponsit is safe. Arverne by the Sea is safe. Parts of Edgemere are fine. And then you have the largely Hasidic section of Far Rockaway, which is safe too.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:11 PM

24 posts, read 63,580 times
Thank you!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Do you have experience with living in the hood? I can direct you based off of this question.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you have experience with living in the hood? I can direct you based off of this question.
Don't even bother to direct her to hood areas. No reason to direct a working couple to that. There are nice parts of the Rockaways, particularly the areas I just mentioned.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Breezy Point is obviously the best part of The Rockaways, but Far Rockaway? Didn't know there were any good parts.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Breezy Point is obviously the best part of The Rockaways, but Far Rockaway? Didn't know there were any good parts.
The predominately Jewish part of Far Rockaway is nice. Its full of homeowners with beautiful houses and nice yards (some Blacks and Hispanics there too). Neponsit, Belle Harbor, etc are pretty nice. Actually, this lady is taking the A train so Breezy Point is not an option.

Arverne by the Sea is a nice development, and there are nice developments in Edgemere. Its pretty easy to avoid the bad areas and you can tell a lot by just looking at the area.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Don't even bother to direct her to hood areas. No reason to direct a working couple to that. There are nice parts of the Rockaways, particularly the areas I just mentioned.
Well if they're used to that type of environment there are affordable apartments out there. If not, I will direct them to the good parts. There's no apartments for rent in the Jewish area of Rockaway. If they are, it's some basement in Bayswater in somebody's house.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
I am considering moving to Far Rockaway. There were a nubmer of theads on this topic before, I just want to see if anything has changed. I work in Manhattan, but I cannot afford any of the city prices any more.

Thank you for your help.
I know someone (white male who was not accustomed to ghetto areas if that matters) who used to live in this building in a studio apt. with an oceanview terrace before he relocated out of state in the spring. He lived there for a couple of years (4, 5 years?) and liked it:

Studio Apt//NO BROKER'S FEE

It is in the Rockaway Park section of Far Rockaway on Shorefront Parkway. I don't think this area is ghetto/scary/horrible and I wouldn't be afraid to live in this building myself. (I am a white female.) It is the last of the tall buildings right next to the boardwalk. I think the other buildings next to it in the picture are Dayton Towers (??) co-op properties and this one is the only rental among them (someone correct me if I'm wrong). This building is owned and managed by Alma Realty and no fee except credit checks (see ad I linked to for all the info). I didn't see ads for a 1 BR, but if you are interested, you should get in touch with them and see. The building is walk to some shops (bagel store, pharmacy, etc.) and a new grocery store and walk to A train and buses. It has a parking lot for which there are assigned spots and a fee to park monthly. He had a car and parked on the street and had no trouble finding a spot except sometimes on summer days when beachgoers would come around. Building allows pets which is nice. He always used the laundry room and never had a problem. He liked it better than going to the laundromat. No roaches. Only saw a mouse once. Then he got a cat. He never got bedbugs or mentioned anyone in the building having them. Don't remember him complaining about other people in the building; seemed like just a lot of people who were quiet and went to work. I do remember seeing a lot of people walking dogs, but I suppose if a place accepts them, it would get a lot of applicants with them since a lot of LLs are too picky to take dogs in many cases. They will come to fix things fast if things break. I remember he said that. I think they have an office on the premises where you can pay rent and talk to them if you have to. I can't think of anything else important renters want to know, so ask a question if I missed anything. I will say the boardwalk there is very nice and the beach is really beautiful. I liked going to the beach there better than some places on Long Island due to less crowds and beach just as good! It was also nice having the apartment across the street to go to the bathroom or get food or drink.

PS: The building and area held up well during storms Irene and Sandy; no significant flooding around it on the street or damage to the building which made it uninhabitable like some people experienced; only problem was the one everyone else had: waiting for the electricity to come back on.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-05-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City