Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,802 times

Advertisements

It is nice to hear some one from the neighborhood provide some insight. Do you know any hot zone that should be avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 PM

32 posts, read 60,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Not to be rascist or anything but I always thought the worst of Harlem was the black part.....meaning central and west. I never tought that the spanish section was the worse, in fact I tought it was the best. All these clips of Harlem ghetto's you see have mostly black thugs....not mexican/puerto ricans........

When I think of Harlem, I think of a black ghetto.........not a spanish ghetto.
Think again.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 PM

32 posts, read 60,774 times
City College is not in Spanish Harlem. Definitely not.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times

Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 AM

315 posts, read 871,559 times
Back in the 70,s- to early 90.s Spanish Harlem was a different scene. Dope spots were all over , crime was bad, cops had thier hands full. The nieghborhood had a real edge to it- graffetti was all over every building and subway stations - -
If you were white and spoke only english, you were probably there for a illegal reason.
Now its diversified. The nieghborhoods have been fixed up nicely- -Ok its not Park Ave , but its a pretty safe and decent area. Its still on the poor side of the scale ,but the noticable changes are there.

Things are much different- for the better. The dope spots have all but disappeared. (Cell phone business ,I guess)- - the area has adjusted and cleaned up nicely -
They refurbished the L at 125th and park (but you still have the Lee blg there- with its 8 floors dispensing methadone every day)- the differece is now these people leave instead of hanging out in the area all day & the community is now willing to accept the fact that its a medical facility not a haven for derilicts-
They built a brand new Pathmark up on 3rd ave and 125th. The rents are reasonable for Manhattan- but remember its still $$Manhattan$$
Of course you still cant let your guard down- -but the changes have been positive
Traffic on the Harlem River Drive can get bad- but what do you expect??- On a good day ,you can take 1 of the avenues ,if you want, all the way downtown
- Going to the Puerto Rican parade is fun- if you like to sample different foods.
They close the HRD on the 4th of July ,& its a good spot to watch the fireworks display

I always felt this area would rebound faster than central and the west side of Harlem. Hopefully that will be next

Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,735 times
Harlem rocks...it has been gentrified and is very up and coming

Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMontgo View Post
One of the things Ive heard about East Harlem, is that it is tough to find produce at the grocery stores... I've heard that people have a difficult time with the food, but that otherwise it's a great option for inexpensive rent, that's still in Manhattan. The community is also pretty tight-knit...
Very true. Gradually were starting to see more fresh produce stands pop up throughout the area. I know of two who are always out there on 116th and 1st avenue, and 106th and 2nd ave.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

5 posts, read 27,188 times
To be honest with you all, i recently had the pleasure of living in east harlem for a month and it really has got a lot more nice people than bad, i walked about regardless of what time of the night it was and the only people causing me any concern were the police,compared to where i have lived all my life i would prefer harlem any time.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 27,188 times
Default White Guys Cant Jump!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest with you all, i recently had the pleasure of living in east harlem for a month and it really has got a lot more nice people than bad, i walked about regardless of what time of the night it was and the only people causing me any concern were the police,compared to where i have lived all my life i would prefer harlem any time.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM

66 posts, read 181,146 times
It cracks me up when people hype East Harlem/Harlem up like it's Mogadishu. Harlem is relatively peaceful. I've walked around at 3 in the morning with no problems to speak of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City