Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

DAS,Columbus High School has been broken up so it's not the big behemoth it once was.It is now actually 4 or 5 smaller high schools in one complex.3 of them are very good schools:Pelham Preparatory Academy (http://schools.nyc.gov/OA/SchoolRepo...13_HS_X542.pdf), Astor Collegiate Academy(Astor Collegiate Academy in BRONX, NY | Best High Schools | US News) and Collegiate Institute For Math and Science(Collegiate Institute for Math and Science in BRONX, NY | Best High Schools | US News).

While the crime rate in the 47th precinct is higher than the 49th( PP and Morris Park) it is fairly predictable…almost entirely in and adjacent to various projects and along and near White Plains Road from about Burke all the way up.That leaves many areas scattered throughout where crime is very little.If you are looking for a house you just have to do your homework and figure out proximity to the bad areas,which I am sure you will be able to do.

There are pedestrian/road bridges that cross over the Bronx River Parkway @ Gun Hill Rd,233rd St,Nereid Ave and 241 St.
Further down,in my neighborhood,there are paths/roads/footbridges throughout the northern section of Bronx Park Park around Magenta,Burke and Allerton Ave.There is a footbridge over the parkway that goes right into The Botanical Garden @ Waring Ave and a pedestrian/traffic transverse that goes under the Bronx River Parkway @ Pelham Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The Asian invasion is definitely pushing up Williamsbridge Rd from Pelham Parkway so I would expect that to continue up to at least Gun Hill Rd in the coming decade.They also seem to be pushing into the area West of White Plains Rd and East of Bronx Park between Burke and Gun Hill.

I still think the big news of the 2020 census for The Bronx will be the increase in the Asian population in the whole East Bronx from Classon Point all the way up through Van Nest,Morris Park,Pelham Parkway, Allerton,etc.

Wakefield,I,m not so sure of but I agree that the housing stock is pretty amazing in some parts.I've walked around a lot up there and there are some great houses on great blocks with big yards.The projects up there could pose some kind of barrier but the Asians don't seem to be bothered by the projects.They are snapping up houses and opening businesses right next to Pelham Parkway Houses and Parkside. Asians also don't seem to have any fears about sending their kids to the schools in The Bronx.They just move in and the kids go right to the tops of their classes on their way to Bronx Science.You walk into Asian owned businesses in the afternoon or evening and the kids are in there behind the counter doing homework while the parents are running the shop.

There are very few neighborhoods in the whole city that have the kind of real diversity(raclal, ethnic,religious and economic) that PP has.It's not easy to duplicate.
When you say Asian do you mean people from China or the continent of Asia? For instance huge uptic in Asian population in Bellerose, Queens and Bensonhurst. Bellerose is Indians from India and Bensonhurst is Chinese. Just curious.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
DAS,Columbus High School has been broken up so it's not the big behemoth it once was.It is now actually 4 or 5 smaller high schools in one complex.3 of them are very good schools:Pelham Preparatory Academy (http://schools.nyc.gov/OA/SchoolRepo...13_HS_X542.pdf), Astor Collegiate Academy(Astor Collegiate Academy in BRONX, NY | Best High Schools | US News) and Collegiate Institute For Math and Science(Collegiate Institute for Math and Science in BRONX, NY | Best High Schools | US News).

While the crime rate in the 47th precinct is higher than the 49th( PP and Morris Park) it is fairly predictable…almost entirely in and adjacent to various projects and along and near White Plains Road from about Burke all the way up.That leaves many areas scattered throughout where crime is very little.If you are looking for a house you just have to do your homework and figure out proximity to the bad areas,which I am sure you will be able to do.

There are pedestrian/road bridges that cross over the Bronx River Parkway @ Gun Hill Rd,233rd St,Nereid Ave and 241 St.
Further down,in my neighborhood,there are paths/roads/footbridges throughout the northern section of Bronx Park Park around Magenta,Burke and Allerton Ave.There is a footbridge over the parkway that goes right into The Botanical Garden @ Waring Ave and a pedestrian/traffic transverse that goes under the Bronx River Parkway @ Pelham Parkway.
The 47th Pct is a tough area. Plenty of blocks where there are just private homes but their is a ton of crime. Everyone thinks that crime is strictly around edenwald and WPR but not true.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
When you say Asian do you mean people from China or the continent of Asia? For instance huge uptic in Asian population in Bellerose, Queens and Bensonhurst. Bellerose is Indians from India and Bensonhurst is Chinese. Just curious.
Most of the ones I have seen opening stores,moving in(including in my own building),shopping and getting on and off the subway around here(Morris Park,Pelham Gardens,Pelham Parkway,Allerton are Chinese. Further South of here,around Van Nest,Parkchester and down into Classon Point they appear to be more Indian/Bangladeshi types.

Have no idea if there is any truth to it but someone told me that the reasons why Chinese are moving into the area are because of the low crime,low prices , the 5 train gives a direct line to Chinatown and they want to live in The Bx so their kids can go to Bronx Science with a short commute
They all seem to fully expect that their kids will go to Bronx Science.

I think it might also have something to with the fact that they seem to have developed a taste for fading Italian neighborhoods, from their incursion into Bensonhurst/Bay Ridge.But that might be part and parcel with the low crime thing.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-27-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The 47th Pct is a tough area. Plenty of blocks where there are just private homes but their is a ton of crime. Everyone thinks that crime is strictly around edenwald and WPR but not true.
I don't know. I've found some pretty mellow areas up there where I didn't get a big crime vibe at all.

DAS,you might want to DM "caribny " about different areas up there if he doesn't jump in here.I think he might actually live in Wakefield.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-27-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Thank you bluedog2, riaelise, rlrl, NYwriterdude, scatman, and Norwood Boy. It is good to read about both sides of the coin in the case of Norwood Boys comments. If any of you or any other posters can add to this feel free the more information I have the better. I'm looking for quiet and low crime. Thanks bluedog2 for the park information, that it is very important to me.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
HELL-TO-THE-NO. My mother lives in Wakefield, about a few blocks from the 2 train. It's heavily Carribean/West Indian and Black. Some Hispanics here and there but Blacks and Carribeans/West Indies are dominant.

I wouldn't live in Wakefield, there's nothing there. The areas next to White Plains is heavy in crime especially during the summer, its a zoo. On top of that, its about an hour away from midtown or Times Square and can be a drag. Once the 2 train hits Harlem and the Bronx, it becomes more and more ratchet. Especially on the weekends. I don't find anything interesting about Wakefield unless you're Carribean/West Indie/Black and feel comfortable around the area and the ratchetness that spawns during the winter.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
HELL-TO-THE-NO. My mother lives in Wakefield, about a few blocks from the 2 train. It's heavily Carribean/West Indian and Black. Some Hispanics here and there but Blacks and Carribeans/West Indies are dominant.

I wouldn't live in Wakefield, there's nothing there. The areas next to White Plains is heavy in crime especially during the summer, its a zoo. On top of that, its about an hour away from midtown or Times Square and can be a drag. Once the 2 train hits Harlem and the Bronx, it becomes more and more ratchet. Especially on the weekends. I don't find anything interesting about Wakefield unless you're Carribean/West Indie/Black and feel comfortable around the area and the ratchetness that spawns during the winter.
Where do you recommend? I'm open to other boros also. I need a large house for multi generational living some areas have smaller houses than others.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Ok, DAS. Since you're looking at it from an investment standpoint. A lot of those West Indians aren't slinging ganja. They are hardworking and own their homes. I lived off 238th/Nereid, in the interior..away from White Plains Rd. and I had zero issues. My landlord was Indo Guyanese and the other tenant was a Jamaican family. Didn't bother me one bit. The housing stock looks pretty nice. There is crime, but it is in pockets. I wouldn't live around Carpenter, or right next to WPR. Going away from WPR close to Baychester is better. The area is not particularly diverse, but then again there are many neighborhoods like that in NYC. This area just happens to be a Black/West Indian enclave. As for me, I find the West Indian culture to be vibrant and Golden Krust makes some kick ass patties.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Morris Park may be more desirable, but may be more pricey because of that.

Yes, Wakefield has a heavy Carribean population. To be honest, I don't find it as noisy as Flatbush, Brooklyn. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't go on, but in Flatbush, it's a whole week party before the parade on Labor Day. I don't know if I find that much in Wakefield. Now, put the parade on Pelham instead of Eastern Parkway, things in Wakefield might be different. (LOL!). Also, Wakefield is further away from Manhattan than Flatbush, but Flatbush, as with all of Brooklyn, is much more pricey!

I've heard folk suggest that in order to get a feel of the neighborhood, go to that neighborhood in the early evening, look around and see how it feels. And then factor that in when making your choice!

The argument of the "Asian set up" makes a lot of sense, if true! Location, location, location! (Chinatown, Bronx Science). Parkchester would make more sense from that perspective (Being in same borough as Science, 6, 4 train to Chinatown, Q44 from Parkchester to Flushing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City