Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,693,796 times

Advertisements

The problem in areas like Wakefield is that you cannot insulate yourself from the undesirables. Where are all the stores? Schools? Post Office? White Plains Road is the main corridor for the 2 train and stores. Have any of the above posters been to 241th st and WPR recently? 2 blks North and South of 241th st SUCKS. Hookers, Dugs and just plain undesirables hanging out. That's great if you live east of Baychester but where are you getting the train? Where are you going shopping? I don't want to live behind a steal door with window bars. Do you have kids? Where are your kids gonna play? Do you know that Wakefield has the highest % of hot sheets hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,866,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Morris Park may be more desirable, but may be more pricey because of that.

Yes, Wakefield has a heavy Carribean population. To be honest, I don't find it as noisy as Flatbush, Brooklyn. I'm not saying that stuff doesn't go on, but in Flatbush, it's a whole week party before the parade on Labor Day. I don't know if I find that much in Wakefield. Now, put the parade on Pelham instead of Eastern Parkway, things in Wakefield might be different. (LOL!). Also, Wakefield is further away from Manhattan than Flatbush, but Flatbush, as with all of Brooklyn, is much more pricey!

I've heard folk suggest that in order to get a feel of the neighborhood, go to that neighborhood in the early evening, look around and see how it feels. And then factor that in when making your choice!

The argument of the "Asian set up" makes a lot of sense, if true! Location, location, location! (Chinatown, Bronx Science). Parkchester would make more sense from that perspective (Being in same borough as Science, 6, 4 train to Chinatown, Q44 from Parkchester to Flushing)
Your assessments are right on point. Do you have any opinions on Williamsbridge since it is directly north of Morris Park. According to census data Williamsbridge is a little more affluent than Wakefield. In regard to Asians, some have large families and also need multigenerational housing, and prefer the detached, with garages, like they are able to find in Flushing, College Park, Bellerose etc. But the Bronx is closer to Manhattan and only a train ride in most spots, no having to switch to/from the bus. Most are driving not taking the Q44 to Flushing. Morris park has few detached homes on the market, with a 2 car garage. Most are smaller 1 family or former 1 family that have been converted to 2 families, making even smaller space. Wakefield and Williamsbridge homes are on bigger lots for the most part. I am still looking at Morris Park, but it is popular and people don't seem to move once they settle in. Parkchester area has more apt buildings, even outside of the complex.

Trying to get honest opinions before the weather breaks and people start coming out more so that I can get a good feel for the neighborhoods.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
The problem in areas like Wakefield is that you cannot insulate yourself from the undesirables. Where are all the stores? Schools? Post Office? White Plains Road is the main corridor for the 2 train and stores. Have any of the above posters been to 241th st and WPR recently? 2 blks North and South of 241th st SUCKS. Hookers, Dugs and just plain undesirables hanging out. That's great if you live east of Baychester but where are you getting the train? Where are you going shopping? I don't want to live behind a steal door with window bars. Do you have kids? Where are your kids gonna play? Do you know that Wakefield has the highest % of hot sheets hotels.
OK the concensus on this thread so far is that Wakefield is not desirable near the train and that you have to live east of Baychester. Isn't that neighborhood Baychester and not Wakefield?

What about Williamsbridge?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Wakefield, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Do you have kids? Are you using mass transit? Where will you be doing your supermarket shopping? Do you go out for beers? I would suggest you end up to Wakefield and walk around. Don't drive but walk. Walk from the train stops that you would use. Go mail a letter from your local post office. Head to the supermarket where you will do your bulk shopping. Will you be near the public schools when they let out? Check that area out. Last time up there recognized only 5 things. Spellman and Mount HS. THe VFW post off of WPR and Nereid. CUllens bar on WPR South of Nereid. Peppino's on the N/W/C of 241 and WPR.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
I lived there when I was 19 years old. First apartment. I caught the train at 238th/Nereid. Never had a problem. I walked from said train to Gunther Avenue, never a problem. I hung out elsewhere. I did hang out along WPR during the day every now and then and there were no issues. The area where I lived was largely residential.

Again, what is the difference between Wakefield and other ethnic nabes? Why all the cautionary tales here? It just so happens to be an area that is predominately West Indian. If you don't feel comfortable around West Indian culture, then maybe the area is not for you. As for me, I assimilate anywhere. While my culture isn't Anglophone Caribbean, I can appreciate and enjoy it.

DAS, you haven't mentioned a price range. Morris Park single family homes can be pretty expensive. SFH in the PP/Morris Park area can easily be $400-500K.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,105,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I think there are sections of Wakefield and Williamsbridge where the residents have zero contact with White Plains Road.They get in their cars and drive the 5 minutes to Fairway or Bj's and do a lot of shopping at mall by Co Op City.Actually,the Fairway might be closer to some than White Plains Rd anyway.I don't think 241 St and White Plains Rd is representative of all of Wakefield at all.

I have a co worker who owns a house on Duryea,just a few blocks from the Dyre Ave 5 stop and it's pretty nice around there.Maybe you consider that Eastchester ? Lol,it's all Wakefield to me.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-28-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I lived there when I was 19 years old. First apartment. I caught the train at 238th/Nereid. Never had a problem. I walked from said train to Gunther Avenue, never a problem. I hung out elsewhere. I did hang out along WPR during the day every now and then and there were no issues. The area where I lived was largely residential.

Again, what is the difference between Wakefield and other ethnic nabes? Why all the cautionary tales here? It just so happens to be an area that is predominately West Indian. If you don't feel comfortable around West Indian culture, then maybe the area is not for you. As for me, I assimilate anywhere. While my culture isn't Anglophone Caribbean, I can appreciate and enjoy it.

DAS, you haven't mentioned a price range. Morris Park single family homes can be pretty expensive. SFH in the PP/Morris Park area can easily be $400-500K.
Just because you were not a victim doesn't mean crime isn't prevalent. Are there a lot of hard working folks that live there, YES. Are there a lot of miscreants there? Yes. BTW the advice I gave the person asking was sound advice. Go to Wakefield now. Don't go my an anonymous people on a message board. You have to go see for yourself. What are his/Hers work hours? Do they work shift work and get off at midnight? Are they getting off the 2 train at 1 AM? Do they have kids? Are they going to use the public or Catholic schools? What ethnicity is the person? Are they white? Are they comfortable being one of a minuscule of whites left? I would pose that last question to a black person moving to a all white area btw. I went to HS with a guy who lived on Ely. I remember when the whole block had a few burglaries. The whole block bought these lights for the front of their homes. About 40 homes had the same lights. Needless to say that family is in Yonkers now.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

riaelise, I am looking for a residential area, but I don't want to have to take a bus to the train, I don't mind walking some though. I have been looking at real estate in all 3 areas MP/PP, Williamsbridge, and Wakefield. I also look at other areas and boros for comparison. I am most familiar with the Bronx and Manhattan. Manhattan is of course out of the question, and so is a lot of Brooklyn now.

I've found that the prices are comparable in all areas. You get less house, and land space in MP/PP for the same amount in Williamsbridge and Wakefield. But there is nothing in Williamsbridge or Wakefield that is cheaper than MP/PP. Larger homes in MP/PP will cost more than Williamsbridge and Wakefield larger homes, so there are higher priced homes in MP/PP. However for the most part the homes are smaller in MP/PP.

Given the fact the homes are larger and there is more land space for the same price I was wondering if the areas would diversify more like MP/PP, since these areas are directly north and used to be more diverse. Is crime, and noise to blame for it not diversifying.

I'm also trying to understand if the areas are quiet and clean, and many home owners actually live there, and are not absentee home owners renting out their properties, why aren't the areas diversifying? I know Italians are moving out of the city, and Albanians are taking their place, and Asians are moving into MP/PP, but why are they not moving north? and again only asking that because of more house and land space for the price, and you are still on the same train line.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM

MP/PP proper are very solid areas. As long as your really in those areas. For instance there was shooting the other day that the Daily News reported being in MP. Astute posters pointed out that the shooting really took place in Van Nest. Hey that's a big difference. You can be on 96th street and Park ave. That would be considered the UES then go 5 blocks north and be in Spanish harlem.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
riaelise, I am looking for a residential area, but I don't want to have to take a bus to the train, I don't mind walking some though. I have been looking at real estate in all 3 areas MP/PP, Williamsbridge, and Wakefield. I also look at other areas and boros for comparison. I am most familiar with the Bronx and Manhattan. Manhattan is of course out of the question, and so is a lot of Brooklyn now.

I've found that the prices are comparable in all areas. You get less house, and land space in MP/PP for the same amount in Williamsbridge and Wakefield. But there is nothing in Williamsbridge or Wakefield that is cheaper than MP/PP. Larger homes in MP/PP will cost more than Williamsbridge and Wakefield larger homes, so there are higher priced homes in MP/PP. However for the most part the homes are smaller in MP/PP.

Given the fact the homes are larger and there is more land space for the same price I was wondering if the areas would diversify more like MP/PP, since these areas are directly north and used to be more diverse. Is crime, and noise to blame for it not diversifying.

I'm also trying to understand if the areas are quiet and clean, and many home owners actually live there, and are not absentee home owners renting out their properties, why aren't the areas diversifying? I know Italians are moving out of the city, and Albanians are taking their place, and Asians are moving into MP/PP, but why are they not moving north? and again only asking that because of more house and land space for the price, and you are still on the same train line.
It's not diversifying because it is much farther north and has a very established population with a very distinct culture that isn't gonna pick up and move like some others. I get it, you feel like you'll stick out. But if you like the homes then there really should be no issue. Yes, there are miscreants but overall many of the residents are hardworking homeowners. I traditionally like to live in diverse areas as well, but I happened to like my one year in Wakefield. I too nearly purchased a single family but decided against it because it had three floors with only two bathrooms. If I did purchase though, the appreciation would be good. Not all areas are going to be diverse..the same can be said about some other ethnic areas. Fwiw my ex boyfriend Puerto Rican and AA owns a home in Wakefield...he's an IT manager.

Just curious, are you white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City