Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Doing a 360 degree view, that small house is the only one on that block with that type of ironwork. Not sure what your objective was to point out that one house.
What about the one next door. Should we pick the little man up and walk him around the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
So no crime on 241th Street and WPR. That's a safe haven? DAS, I din't select that google picture, Bluedog did. Why would someone put iron fencing all the way around the house? The only thing missing is a mote with gators. That fencing didn't come in the 70's. It came when the savages moved in and starting robbing people. Why lie and be politically correct?
How do you get that I ever said there was no crime on White Plains Rd and 241 from this quote ?" there seems to be more crime in the upper two teens to mid two twenties, West of White Plains Rd, than in other areas up there."

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-02-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 PM

Walk google boy 1 block west of the location you picked? You will go by some sort of low income bldg, then go south 1 blk, then west half a block. 2 homes with floor to ceiling "Italian" metal work.

Where are you getting your crime stats from? Have you ever spoken to a cop in that pct? I'm just curious. Over the summer a poster was telling tourists to walk over the Highbridge. You'll be fine. I asked that poster, do you know what's on the Bronx side?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
So no crime on 241th Street and WPR. orrect?

Did any body say that? And since when does this define all of Wakefield. Because there are robberies and burglaries on Katonah and Webster mean that we should define Woodlawn as dangerous?

You will argue that this crime is caused by people from outside the community, much as some in Wakefield might say, aside from known trouble spots on WPR and around the NYCHA projects. Its people coming into a middle class area, including from NYCHA and WPR, looking for opportunities.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I said no such thing about West Indians cleaning up their yard. I said they didn't maintain the grounds around their homes.

That's not the same as cleaning up their yards.

So for the record, you can see why the Jewish neighborhoods in Far Rockaway and 5 towns look much better than the Caribbean neighborhoods of the North Bronx. There is absolutely no reason to take offense. The people in Far Rockaway and 5 towns put a lot of resources into maintaining their yards. This isn't done in Wakefield or Mt. Vernon.

Why not compare Woodlawn with Wakefield? Same socio economic bracket. Similar occupations. I don't see any difference.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why not compare Woodlawn with Wakefield? Same socio economic bracket. Similar occupations. I don't see any difference.
If you can't see the difference between wakefield and Woodlawn, why bother. The problem here is that everyone has to be politically correct. Where are all these robberies on Katonah BTW? Wakefield has been a tough area for quite some time. Edenwald pj's are one of the worst in all the Bronx. The whole stretch of WPR south to Allerton stinks. Wakefield is leading the Bronx in hot sheets motels. These things can easily be looked up. If you live in Wakefield be happy that the head guy in the 47pct is bronx born and bred.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I do see the difference, though. Woodlawn's apartment buildings are better maintained. So are the homes and yards. There's a better calibur of business in the main shopping areas of Woodlawn too. Even the Irish bars in Woodlawn look much better than the few drinking holes in Wakefield.

I'm sorry to say the areas that have a lot of Caribbean homeowners just are not as well maintained as those with whites who are at least middle class. And yes, I am including the landscaping/horticulture in this.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
If you can't see the difference between wakefield and Woodlawn, why bother. The problem here is that everyone has to be politically correct. Where are all these robberies on Katonah BTW? Wakefield has been a tough area for quite some time. Edenwald pj's are one of the worst in all the Bronx. The whole stretch of WPR south to Allerton stinks. Wakefield is leading the Bronx in hot sheets motels. These things can easily be looked up. If you live in Wakefield be happy that the head guy in the 47pct is bronx born and bred.
Yes, Edenwald is a dangerous high crime area. Allerton area has a bunch of housing projects nearby, as does Gunhill Road. There are a lot of single family homes, but their yards are NOT kept up as well as they in more affluent neighborhoods, including Woodlawn.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 AM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No. What you said is West Indians do not clean up in front of their house. And no matter what race you are, there's dirty and clean people! Like I said - it's money, not race. Maybe you didn't grow up in a house for you to be making such silly comments! But I did! So I know what it takes to maintain a house! And my West Indian parents always cleaned their yard! Main reason why I chose to own a co-op now instead of a house! FOH with that BS, this race is cleaner than that race. I am going off on you! It's money, not race!!! FOH. And don't come at me with mod this and mod that. Over it. Just because we hide at home behind our keyboards we're free to say whatever we want. FOH man. Beyond infuriated!!!!!!!
SeventhFloor, the comments on Caribean and African American homeowners is absurd. Lauralton, Cambria Heights, and St Albans are have well kept homes owned by Black people for several generations. Even Jamaica, and Hollis Queens also have well kept sections. There are similar areas in Brooklyn like Canarsie. Even pregentrified Harlem and Bedstuy had well kept Brownstones which attracted the gentrifyers. The gentrifyers came to the well kept sections first and then spread out as their supply ran out in those sectons.

There are even pocket of well kept homes in the South Bronx, Central Bronx and other less likely areas in other boros. So their is no bases for this comment.

I notice from street view that there are plenty of well kept properties. I see very few poorly maintained homes. I don't think people that spend today around 1/2 million today, will let their properites go down like that. As for yards most seem to be paved with some flowers around, some do have grass yards. Like anywhere there maybe some rundown areas but I don't know where they are.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM
DAS DAS started this thread

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Freedom of speech in the US gives me the right to comment on it. Yes, I'm going to say the predominately white middle class and above neighborhoods in NYC are generally better maintained. There's nothing wrong with that statement. Its true.

As for the reasons why, again, I'm not a sociologist. I was commenting on actual metro NYC neighborhoods, and not on any conditions in the Caribbean itself.

And I do think that the actual appearance of Wakefield, Williamsbridge, etc keep these neighborhoods from gentrifying, and that's because of how poorly the people who LIVE in those neighborhoods keep up their properties. Again, this is me discussing NYC neighborhoods, NOT what goes on in the West Indies. We're discussing why that part of the North Bronx does NOT gentrify, and this is an important reason. I have not seen one predominately Caribbean neighborhood in metro NYC surpass a predominately White or Jewish neighborhood in niceness. It is what it is. No amount of getting upset or defensive will change that.
I had a death in my family and someone came to my families brownstone block in Harlem and saw White and Asian people coming outside from their Brownstones, and commented on how beautiful Harlem is now. This area looks exactly the same as it always did. The reason these brownstones sold so easily was that they were well maintained. Some people see White and think everything is alright. If they see Black they don't really look around to see what is there. Or they see the bad amidst all the good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City