Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
At the end of the day....NOBODY really wants to hear about the problems of black people. Many will cover up the downplay and try to completely cover up the facts that clearly exist. As an educated white collar black male I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me. But, I have noticed that when issues like the education gap or black men being incarcerated comes up....people start to really get upset. No one really wants to hear the truth about things like this. It interrupts the vision that they have in their heads. Nothing wrong with this. I just wish people would just admit it and stop trying to downplay reality.

As a former public school educator and now college professor I must say that 3 things are keeping black youth from leveling the playing field when it comes to education.

(1) lack of parental support

(2) lack of educational resources in early years (elementary/middle)

(3) less focus on education/career and more on entertainment..sports...etc.
And these are problems found in all communities and all races to varying degrees. Plenty of people everywhere have parents that aren't supportive, the entertainment industry makes massive amounts of money from people of all races, and not all parents of any race focus on sending their kids to the best schools.

No one is covering up that problems exists among Blacks. However, these problems are not UNIQUE to Blacks. They are within all people.

And at the end of the day, people of all races get stick of hearing about other people's problems. We all have our own problems. I don't give a flying **** about the "Black" youth. Whatever problems they have, I certainly didn't create them nor it is my responsibility to solve them. Each person will have to do the best that they can do concerning their own life.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-15-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I am not desperate. I was trying to give some background information regarding my upbringing. Your thoughts on how you wouldn't mind living in a slum if it was close to a beach, reveals why you are an idiot. You are quick to choose such a location based on momentary pleasures, ignoring the violence and crime that you would inevitably face.

Im not jealous either. I am annoyed and think its unfair, when many ppl regardless of color face the same issues. If you think my education makes me seem jaded, washed up and bitter....then maybe Asians like me should get more help. Don't you agree? I see your "Ivy league education" did wonders for you
I can take care of myself and I have been in all sorts of communities in all sorts of places. Unlike you I don't have an irrational fear of the poor. Poor does not necessarily equal full of violent criminals. I was an exchange student in a pretty poor part of Paraguay and I loved it. I went to some pretty poor parts of Brazil and I enjoyed it. So again, I would not mind being in a poor part of the Caribbean if it was close to the beach.

I guess you fear the poor so much because that's really where you come from and what you really still are., You're so desperate to hide behind a facade that's not you it makes you miserable.

As for people like you needing more help, if you're as "brilliant" as you claim, you should be able to figure things out for yourself. No help should be needed. You should be able to skyrocket pass everyone. Of course, it's rather obvious that you're bull****ting everyone.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post
I said the above well after you gave me that hostile response and acted so pigheaded. I see you still mad though. Obviously I will do research, what do you think me asking you for your opinion is? Did you think airing that out would embarrass me or something? I'll repeat it again, don't take it so personal when people disagree with you. Instead of being so dismissive and quick to resort to ad hominem attacks, try to engage with reason.
I don't really care what you do.

Nothing you said is worth reasoning with.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:57 AM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
someone sounds like hitting that menapause mark so prematurely...go get an estrogen shot to calm down and get sane...

Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 AM

158 posts, read 333,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Everyone always talks about environment, poverty, culture, but let's not forget IQ (race and intelligence). Google it if you are interested.
Googled it, but couldn't find a reputable source. Would you be able to provide the forum with such? Or go into more detail as to what you're implying(if you're implying anything)?

Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To be fair, this thread started out claiming that Blacks and Hispanics are underachievers. Even if this is 100% true, so what?

This is a money driven society, and when it comes towards reaching the top of US society (becoming a multimillionaire or billionaire in the context of the US business sector or moving to the top of the government) there is absolutely no evidence Asian Americans are any more successful than any other group of non white. You do have more Asian dentists than Black or Hispanic dentists, so if that makes Asians feel really good about themselves, knock yourselves out.
You also have more Asian physicians than any other ethnicity:

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload...res%202010.pdf

And the majority of younger doctors who will replace the older whites when they retire are Asian.

Same thing with science and engineering PhDs:

nsf.gov - NCSES Racial and Ethnic Diversity among U.S.-Educated Science, Engineering, and Health Doctorate Recipients: Methods of Reporting Diversity - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

If this is a problem, it's a good problem to have.

It is true that strong academic performance does not make a billionaire. But it does provide the most options to escape generational poverty and enter the upper middle class in one generation. Once the children and grandchildren are well within the upper middle class, they have better safety nets to help them move further up in society.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 03-15-2014 at 06:06 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,572 times
Even the playing field so all middle schools offer tracks where there is opportunity to do in grades 6-8: 9th & 10th grade math, 9th grade biology, 10th grade American history, three years foreign languages. Many specialized high school students come in with lots of Regents under their belts already, and those subjects help with doing well on the SHSAT more than any Princeton Review prep course.

Prep only gets you familiar with the format of the test. But it doesn't help you if you don't know what an angle is, or can't comprehend a reading passage.

Maybe prep over many years can help fill in what the school doesn't teach.

The majority of the specialized high schools are populated by the same handful of middle schools that offer those advanced academic tracks.

Give all middle schools the opportunity. Principals don't even know what courses other principals have in their middle schools. Most have no idea that they're making their students take a test where there is nothing on it that they've been exposed to.

Last edited by Blkwrt; 03-15-2014 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: forgot one line

Old 03-15-2014, 02:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

And at the end of the day, people of all races get stick of hearing about other people's problems. We all have our own problems. I don't give a flying **** about the "Black" youth. Whatever problems they have, I certainly didn't create them nor it is my responsibility to solve them. Each person will have to do the best that they can do concerning their own life.
Of course you don't care about the Black "youth". You are happy being in your little bubble and there is nothing wrong with that. Why not just let people respond to this thread that actually give a damn instead of filling up space with meaningless opinions.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Of course you don't care about the Black "youth". You are happy being in your little bubble and there is nothing wrong with that. Why not just let people respond to this thread that actually give a damn instead of filling up space with meaningless opinions.
I was going to say the same. apparently he states again and again that he does not care how others are struggling in his community yet hecomes out with a big mouth full of opinions on how little education means in life. being a gay, he won't have the previlige/responsibility of raising children, so his non productive attitude will likely end where he is, which is a relief.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:39 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I know the problems of Hispanics and Blacks I'm part both.

Many Whites that need to take these test are not affluent.

You also cannot go by a last name to catagorize someone by race, especially in NYC. Jose Rodriguez could be Jewish, Black, or Hispanic, or all three, plus have White skin red hair and freckles .

I have a cousin whose son looked Dominican, but had an Anglo last name. The school insisted in attempting to put him into the bilingual classes for the Spanish kids, and every year his mother had to battle to get them to stop doing this.

The motivation was to get more kids into those bilingual classes to get more funds for the school. The boy didn't know any more Spanish than the average NYer does, and the school must have known this.

So when people are looking for Hispanics to include in their data base they will get very aggressive. Every year there is the same lament. Not enough black or Hispanic kids in the top high schools. So you can bet that the authorities will go to the fullest extent to prove that this isn't the case, at least with Hispanics. Clearly the low number of Hispanics admitted indicates that they have the same problems that blacks do, and this is probably especially true for those of Caribbean Hispanic origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City