Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,778 times

Advertisements

Wait. Aren't you the guy who came here the other day and asked why he couldn't buy a nice place and "what is middle class in Manhattan" ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
man OK since hmmmmm how does the song go man can do this all day lol

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 PM

21 posts, read 25,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Because he's a troll. His claimed income of 500k is a suspiciously even amount.
You seem rather daft. Should I give you my exact income? $502,181? Is that what you were looking for?

I truly feel sorry for you if you live in a world in which you view $500,000 as outrageous.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:38 PM

21 posts, read 25,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Hm. $300,000 *posttax* a year household income is enough to live great in Manhattan with a mortgage on a brownstone and 2 kids in private education.
You're joking, right?

Median sales price for a townhouse in Manhattan is $4,828,445 according to Miller Samuel's report.

Right, $500k is enough to afford a $5mm home.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James IV View Post
You're joking, right?

Median sales price for a townhouse in Manhattan is $4,828,445 according to Miller Samuel's report.

Right, $500k is enough to afford a $5mm home.
Let's examine this further. Let's say a person who makes this income and has an excellent credit rating, this person will receive the best loan rates and terms. The numbers break down as follows.

Purchase price: $$4,828,445 (median rate)
Down payment: 20% ($965,689)
Mortgage term: 30 years
Interest rate: 2.8% (current jumbo mortgage rate as of 3/29/14)
Property tax: $ per year n/a
Property insurance$ per year n/a
PMI: n/a

Total Monthly payment principal & interest only: $15,872 Multiple that amount by 12 months $190,464

If you noticed I only did P&I, this amount doesn't inculde taxes, insurance or Home owner associate fees, co-op dues etc. Those amounts could easily add thousands more to the monthly p&I bringing it close to $20,000 a month & 240,000 a year. If you notice I also did not add PMI. I will assume that the person buying has nearly a $million dollars for a down payment and closing cost. If 20% is not available for a down payment then PMI will add another $1200 to $1500 a month to the payment, and the actual mortgage will be higher, thus the monthly payment will be higher.

These are median numbers. So someone making $500,000 a year living in Manhattan who is already being taxed 38% is having $190,000 taxed annually. So between a mortgage of minimum of $190,000 per year and taxation of $190,000 a year that person has spent over $380,000 a year. The reality that his housing paymnet is more, so the number is really $400,000 per year estimated.

This person hasn't paid utilities, cell phone, bought food, clothes, metro card, dined out, gym membership, contributed towards health insurance cost's, or (GASP) SAVED ANY MONEY YET! That would include 401k , and SEP, or another IRA. This person might have student loans that they are still paying off.

These housing to salary numbers are just median numbers. This person is pretty much just making it. So tell me again that this person is rich and should be taxed further.

Liberal progressive taxation for the sake of taxing so deBlasio can bridge the equality gap is bull****. All this does is see who can win the race to the bottom.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Take it a step further. If a person is making "only" $1 million a year and he buys a $40 million dollar house, a 100 foot yacht, and 6 mistresses he will feel strapped.
And then there are the SANE people of the Earth who don't do moronic things.

Any person starting a thread with "I make $500,000 a year" is a TROLL, plain and simple.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Let's examine this further. Let's say a person who makes this income and has an excellent credit rating, this person will receive the best loan rates and terms. The numbers break down as follows.

Total Monthly payment principal & interest only: $15,872 Multiple that amount by 12 months $190,464

If you noticed I only did P&I, this amount doesn't inculde taxes, insurance or Home owner associate fees, co-op dues etc. Those amounts could easily add thousands more to the monthly p&I bringing it close to $20,000 a month & 240,000 a year. If you notice I also did not add PMI. I will assume that the person buying has nearly a $million dollars for a down payment and closing cost. If 20% is not available for a down payment then PMI will add another $1200 to $1500 a month to the payment, and the actual mortgage will be higher, thus the monthly payment will be higher.

These are median numbers. So someone making $500,000 a year living in Manhattan who is already being taxed 38% is having $190,000 taxed annually. So between a mortgage of minimum of $190,000 per year and taxation of $190,000 a year that person has spent over $380,000 a year. The reality that his housing paymnet is more, so the number is really $400,000 per year estimated.

This person hasn't paid utilities, cell phone, bought food, clothes, metro card, dined out, gym membership, contributed towards health insurance cost's, or (GASP) SAVED ANY MONEY YET! That would include 401k , and SEP, or another IRA. This person might have student loans that they are still paying off.

These housing to salary numbers are just median numbers. This person is pretty much just making it. So tell me again that this person is rich and should be taxed further.

Liberal progressive taxation for the sake of taxing so deBlasio can bridge the equality gap is bull****. All this does is see who can win the race to the bottom.
Well, dang! I guess I need Affirmative Action! Where do I get in line for my $500K a year job, and townhome on Park Avenue? Did someone chain him to a radiator in Manhattan or something, meaning he has to absolutely live there?

When someone mugs and kills him for his Rolex, and Camel-hair coat outside his townhome one night, please remember how much he didnt give a sh@t!

*lookie! The poorer who pay more taxes than he does can troll too, lol. He only pays Medicare and SS taxes on 1/5th of his income - while anyone making 109K or less a year pays taxes on 100% of their income.*

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:

Cry me a river. If that person is struggling on 500k they deserve to struggle for being such an idiot.

First of all, when the money starts coming in from the 500k they should pay down their student loans, which is easy if you're making 500k. Health insurance for someone making 500k isn't that expensive, nor is metrocards, food, clothes, or cellphones. Contributions towards retirement are also not excessive. As debts are paid off, this person can build up their savings. Residential utilities do not cost anywhere near enough to cause a person making 500k stress. Who says the person making 500k must immediately live in the most expensive rental in Manhattan anyway? If someone's thinking is this dumb, they don't deserve the 500k job.

Once that person has saved up enough money to make a decent down payment, THEN that person can go to a bank and work out the terms of a mortgage. If the person can't afford Manhattan (gasp) then he or she can surely afford Brooklyn or Queens. Truthfully, it's bull**** that someone making 500k couldn't afford Manhattan. Average prices don't mean typical prices, they are the numbers of all prices averaged together. There are comparatively good deals in parts of the UES and UWS (downtown these days is more expensive) and even in the new buildings in Harlem).

Cry me a river over trolls pretending to have money and resources they don't have.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:

If a person is married with two children, standard deductions and exemptions the weekly deductions on a $500,000 salary to break even at years end are: federal taxes, $2,645; Medicare, $139; state taxes, $682; and city, $372. With an annual Social Security tab of $6,621, the take-home pay is about $293,000 annually.

that is about 42% effective tax rate.

odds are you will trip the amt tax bringing you more in line with 46%. the taxes are brutal on high incomes once you phase out the amt deductions .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-30-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Well, dang! I guess I need Affirmative Action! Where do I get in line for my $500K a year job, and townhome on Park Avenue? Did someone chain him to a radiator in Manhattan or something, meaning he has to absolutely live there?

When someone mugs and kills him for his Rolex, and Camel-hair coat outside his townhome one night, please remember how much he didnt give a sh@t!

*lookie! The poorer who pay more taxes than he does can troll too, lol. He only pays Medicare and SS taxes on 1/5th of his income - while anyone making 109K or less a year pays taxes on 100% of their income.*
The mugger would commit suicide once he realizes he mugged and killed a person who made 500 bucks, not 500k a year! Monopoly play game dollars don't count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City