Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM

414 posts, read 537,723 times

Advertisements

By average I mean everyone except rich. I might be missing someth, but unless one makes 120k+ a yr, which is actually middle class here, even in the outer boroughs and suburbs, what's the point of living here? Most people don't make that much so why are they still here? Quality of life is an arguable concept, but standard of living is not, and it is quite low around here. I can understand if you prefer NYC to other cities because of unique things it offers, BUT when you don't have much money, you can't use those amenities anyway so what's the point? I don't really understand all the people who are not stuck here due to families or what not choosing to live in such subpar living conditions. Is it because they haven't traveled around this country to see how much easier life can be or scared to leave or what? This includes NYC suburbs too, which don't really offer a way out cuz they are also overpriced and overcrowded. Bad quality of housing and small amount of new housing makes it even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Because many of us are stuck. You need money to move, and it difficult to save up if you're barely making enough to get by, and because finding a job outside of the city is very difficult.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Because many of us are stuck. You need money to move, and it difficult to save up if you're barely making enough to get by, and because finding a job outside of the city is very difficult.
i hear ya, but unless someth important is holding u here, its doable

Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM

btw, in regards to amenities, unless ur a broadway and museum junkie, i dont see many things offered here that other major cities dont have, and there are major cities that are affordable still
I live in Northern NJ and plan to move to Seattle, which is a good example of a major city that is reasonably priced, with good salaries and a decent amount of things to do

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
btw, in regards to amenities, unless ur a broadway and museum junkie, i dont see many things offered here that other major cities dont have, and there are major cities that are affordable still
I live in Northern NJ and plan to move to Seattle, which is a good example of a major city that is reasonably priced, with good salaries and a decent amount of things to do
Seattle and Portland are 2 cities I would love to live in, however they're very far.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Seattle and Portland are 2 cities I would love to live in, however they're very far.
i actually lived in portland before and its nice QOL wise, but its pretty boring and the economy is mediocre
its not bad for someone who wants a real laid back, nice, smaller city tho

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 PM

This is my list of reasonably priced, nicer cities that are good to move to, depending on each person's preferences on culture and weather:

Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Denver, Minneapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh. San Diego is kinda pricey, but I feel like it's worth it too if you like that kinda setting.

I wouldn't live down south, but that's just me.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Many people live in NYC and make much less than 60K and have no complaints. Not everyone is good at managing money and still enjoying what the city has to offer.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Many people live in NYC and make much less than 60K and have no complaints. Not everyone is good at managing money and still enjoying what the city has to offer.
for some reason i think if they have no complains is cuz this is all they know

Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
You can have a perfectly good life here without making $120,000 a year if you choose to live in a non-trendy neighborhood. People in the city raise families, go to school, and find decent jobs to do if they are skilled tradesman, entrepreneurs, civil servants, or have a higher education. There are tons of free and moderately priced attractions -- many more than you can find in other cities. There is the amazing diversity of people and neighborhoods that is second to none. There is, most of all, the chance for upward mobility that attracts both educated newcomers and impovershed immigrants from around the world. The streets are not paved with gold, for sure. And some will definitely fail. But the CHANCE to better yourself and your family will always make this town a magnet.

If you just want an "ordinary" life maybe NYC isn't for you. But a hell of a lot of people -- including those of us born here -- want more than that. We may not get it, but aiming high and falling short still beats a split-level in some small town no one has ever heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City