Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
There's also Hope Gardens on Wilson ave. in the eastern part of Bushwick, those are a couple of blocks worth.
Those are also senior citizen filled with some younger people. Mainly due to grand parents sneaking in grand children via taking care of them and allowing their own children to get in. But the majority of those buildings are targeted for seniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
What these hipsters don't get is that the very "culture" and "diversity" they moved here to experience will be gone, because they are pushing it out.
Been happening since late 90s and over past 10yrs at an alarming rate

Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM

87 posts, read 104,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaydigsy View Post
My sister and I defy the typical newcomers to Bedstuy. We are both African-American college educated young women. We own two poodles and were raised in the suburbs. Bedstuy attracted us because we adored the brownstones and the history here. But let's be honest, we also heard about the Zagat rated restaurants and local coffee shops opening up. We have lived here for close to a year and can honestly say it still has a long way to go. The 5am baby-mama drama fights down the block, the persistent God-awful music blasting at all hours, the 2-3 ppl begging for a swipe at the train every morning, etc. The trash on the street is the WORST. The city put in trash cans for a short time but they had to be removed because of all the dumping. It makes me upset.
Not all of it is bad, though. The friendliness while walking down the street, a nice slice of fried chicken, and plenty of street parking helps a bit!
Im still holding out for the major turnaround. I know it's coming....but it could come quicker!!!!

So you want it to become a Brooklyn version of the Upper East Side?

I like Bed-Stuy just the way it is. If I wan't frou-frou nonsense I can get on the subway and go into Manhttan, or even Fort Greene or Park Slope if I want be frou-frou. I live in the Stuyvesant Heights section, and the streets are flawless, not a piece of trash to be seen. I also don't see any fights related to "baby mommas" in my section. My neighbors tend to be loud and play music at night but doesn't bother me one bit, it is New York City. You can also ignore the people asking for swipes, I do.

Why do people want Bed-Stuy to turn into the suburbs? Keep this up and you will be going to Flatbush just to get a slice of fried chicken, but you will be able get a $9 quiche with organic goat cheese and arugula on every corner. F.Y.I I was also raised in the suburbs.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
So you want it to become a Brooklyn version of the Upper East Side?

I like Bed-Stuy just the way it is. If I wan't frou-frou nonsense I can get on the subway and go into Manhttan, or even Fort Greene or Park Slope if I want be frou-frou. I live in the Stuyvesant Heights section, and the streets are flawless, not a piece of trash to be seen. I also don't see any fights related to "baby mommas" in my section. My neighbors tend to be loud and play music at night but doesn't bother me one bit, it is New York City. You can also ignore the people asking for swipes, I do.

Why do people want Bed-Stuy to turn into the suburbs? Keep this up and you will be going to Flatbush just to get a slice of fried chicken, but you will be able get a $9 quiche with organic goat cheese and arugula on every corner. F.Y.I I was also raised in the suburbs.
Before gentrification, I recall when Black Bedstuy was still dying from urban disinvestment. Everyone Black who could afford it was bailing out for the suburbs or the South. Epidemics like crack and aids took their toll (with lack of quality medical care). Lack of good food and even gyms was a serious health issue.

It's true gentrification has raised standards and rents, but why can't long time residents raise their incomes? If there are reasons or barriers to this they needed to address these things a long time ago.

And to an extent Black residents of these neighborhoods were sucker played and are still sucker played. When modern agriculture made small scale farming and unviable, they were pushed off their rural lands into big cities for low level physical labor jobs. Those jobs left, and the nation was content to dump Blacks in these prisons/ghettos. Oh, but now inner cities are valuable real estate, so now it's bye bye ghetto people in many areas. If people don't take control of their lives and destiny they will find their next place to live is the bottom of the ocean, as they allow themselves to be pushed offshore basically.

Gentrification is not the issue, the issue is the mainstream society will always dump unwanted people as it sees fit!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM

87 posts, read 104,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Before gentrification, I recall when Black Bedstuy was still dying from urban disinvestment. Everyone Black who could afford it was bailing out for the suburbs or the South. Epidemics like crack and aids took their toll (with lack of quality medical care). Lack of good food and even gyms was a serious health issue.

It's true gentrification has raised standards and rents, but why can't long time residents raise their incomes? If there are reasons or barriers to this they needed to address these things a long time ago.

And to an extent Black residents of these neighborhoods were sucker played and are still sucker played. When modern agriculture made small scale farming and unviable, they were pushed off their rural lands into big cities for low level physical labor jobs. Those jobs left, and the nation was content to dump Blacks in these prisons/ghettos. Oh, but now inner cities are valuable real estate, so now it's bye bye ghetto people in many areas. If people don't take control of their lives and destiny they will find their next place to live is the bottom of the ocean, as they allow themselves to be pushed offshore basically.

Gentrification is not the issue, the issue is the mainstream society will always dump unwanted people as it sees fit!

I get what you are saying and it would be LOVELY if people could just "raise their incomes". I know people with a bachelor's degree making only $40k a year, some less - 40k goes nowhere in Bed-Stuy nowadays. Maybe if you can budget your money very well, but now income standards have risen and they want you to make 45 times the rent, even if you are a master of budgeting and can wing a $1000+ apartment on 30-40k.

Companies have risen their standards as far as employment credentials. Let's been honest, MOST position you don't need a degree to succeed in. A person can be trained to do something the same way a person with a bachelor's or master's can. I remember when I was looking for part-time jobs just for extra play money, while I have a degree it is in art. There were receptionist jobs wanting someone to have a bachelor's degree, and it paid $9 an hour. The cost of college is so outrageous not everyone can afford it.

You could also say people can start a business, but that takes money too. I want to start a handmade sweater line, but the cost to make sweaters here in NY is outrageous. So I am stuck knitting my samples little by little in addition to working 8 hours a day. You know how long it takes to knit a sweater? I probably wont have line (or income) for two more years. It's hard for people wanting to start businesses to be able to do that and survive in NYC.

I agree that this world has become very sink-or-swim and it is a dumping of people who don't fit in.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I would have to agree with you on that. I've been to Glendale... Mixed community with mainly whites (Italians, Germans, etc.) some Hispanics... But blacks? I don't recall seeing any.
With a fair amount of Puerto Ricans, but if you see a black person in Glendale, chances are their from Brooklyn or their Dominican.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
There are next to no Asians in Glendale either.....

Old 09-10-2014, 03:45 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Everything I know about Glendale I learned in the last 4 posts.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
There are next to no Asians in Glendale either.....
Yet if you cross the border into Forest Hills there are all of a sudden plenty of Asians. Even Middle Village has Asians. But they never seem to make their way into Glendale. Even South Asians in Woodhaven or Richmond Hill never move into Glendale. The place stands still in time. Probably looks the same now as it did 50+ years ago.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Everything I know about Glendale I learned in the last 4 posts.
You probably would actually like this neighborhood if you visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yet if you cross the border into Forest Hills there are all of a sudden plenty of Asians. Even Middle Village has Asians. But they never seem to make their way into Glendale. Even South Asians in Woodhaven or Richmond Hill never move into Glendale. The place stands still in time.
That's something I was always curious about myself. IS 119 has a lot of Asian students but many of them come from other parts of Queens. I guess it's because Glendale is usually more associated with Ridgewood then Forest Hills or Woodhaven.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
You probably would actually like this neighborhood if you visit.

That's something I was always curious about myself. IS 119 has a lot of Asian students but many of them come from other parts of Queens. I guess it's because Glendale is usually more associated with Ridgewood then Forest Hills or Woodhaven.
One change I've noticed recently are more Polish. Likely getting priced out of Greenpoint. Historically I think its usually been people moving in from Williamsburg, Bushwick and Ridgewood rather than from the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City