Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 PM

193 posts, read 282,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua amante View Post
Ive noticed darker, more african influenced latinas and latinos generally dont date american blacks
This as well; colorism/racism is VERY real and worse in the Latino community. They tend to go after lighter skinned Hispanics or Whites. Interesting enough, one of my really good friends from HS is mother Black American and father is Afro-Puerto Rican, and her mom is lighter than her father, which is ironic. Often times people think her mom is the one who's Puerto Rican!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
White collar jobs? Not necessarily.

I see white men having more interest in black women in the arts and entrepreneurial areas. And, the white men are similar. White collar environments are still "traditional" and I believe most white men imagine themselves with a black spouse or significant other in those settings -- especially when they require couples to participate in work-related activities.

LOL @ yoga. My first classes back in the late 90s were full of black men.
Were those black guys in the yoga class gay?

Yes white collar jobs. Arts and entrepreneurial jobs, while they may not be "traditional office jobs" are not blue collar or minimum wage jobs. These are jobs where the individual is usually highly educated and tends to have business skills or training. They may not make a lot of money but they are in stark contrast to the typical "blue collar" person that might make the same amount of money. In other words, black woman making $XX/hour at retail store vs black woman that is a jr copywriter at an ad agency.

Also, I can tell you first hand that in NYC, white collar white guys that work in offices do indeed date black women. They may "look" artsy but they work in offices.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Were those black guys in the yoga class gay?

Yes white collar jobs. Arts and entrepreneurial jobs, while they may not be "traditional office jobs" are not blue collar or minimum wage jobs. These are jobs where the individual is usually highly educated and tends to have business skills or training. They may not make a lot of money but they are in stark contrast to the typical "blue collar" person that might make the same amount of money. In other words, black woman making $XX/hour at retail store vs black woman that is a jr copywriter at an ad agency.

Also, I can tell you first hand that in NYC, white collar white guys that work in offices do indeed date black women. They may "look" artsy but they work in offices.
I don't know if they were gay. I think some of them were athletes.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

56 posts, read 73,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
This as well; colorism/racism is VERY real and worse in the Latino community. They tend to go after lighter skinned Hispanics or Whites. Interesting enough, one of my really good friends from HS is mother Black American and father is Afro-Puerto Rican, and her mom is lighter than her father, which is ironic. Often times people think her mom is the one who's Puerto Rican!
lol..well id say puerto ricans are usually the most open to dating african americans due to our history in new york

I grew up in northern california and they will have a significant amount of black/mexicans in the future. Theres alot of black guy/mexican girl couples out there

Old 07-08-2015, 06:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
How is this ironic?

An African American could be 50% or more white depending on their family history and there are very Black Puerto Ricans.

Mariah Carey is mostly white but referred to by some as African American.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Obviously enough black Latinos are hooking up with Blacks (whether Latinos or otherwise) in order for there to be still Black Latinos.

With that said 15% of Blacks marry non Blacks so it's not like a lot of Black Americans also don't date Whites, Asians, or light skinned Latinos. It's not an exclusively Black Hispanic thing.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How is this ironic?

An African American could be 50% or more white depending on their family history and there are very Black Puerto Ricans.

Mariah Carey is mostly white but referred to by some as African American.
I personally know that it's very possible for a Black American to be lighter/have more European ancestry than someone who is Hispanic (I have family members that are), but it's ironic because many people are ignorant and are too dense to know this as well. That's why I made the comment about people automatically assuming that my friend's mother is Puerto Rican and not her father, because people often automatically assume that all Hispanics are lighter skinned.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua amante View Post
Ive noticed darker, more african influenced latinas and latinos generally dont date american blacks
Many Blacks (Latino or non Latino) marry non Blacks, especially when they become more mainstream. Zoe Saladana married an Italian guy and Kanye West married Kim Kardashian.

Look at the women the rappers and athletes go after (whether American Black or Latino Black).

This just means American Blacks and Latino Blacks share the same attitudes towards other Blacks.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 PM

56 posts, read 73,942 times
Quote:
Many Blacks (Latino or non Latino) marry non Blacks, especially when they become more mainstream. Zoe Saladana married an Italian guy and Kanye West married Kim Kardashian.

Look at the women the rappers and athletes go after (whether American Black or Latino Black).

This just means American Blacks and Latino Blacks share the same attitudes towards other Blacks.
thats a valid point..sadly white is the standard of beauty for pretty much all cultures. So i get why many blacks probably view dating someone non-black as a stepping stone

Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Which is quite sad in my opinion. People who exclusively date outside of their race or who feel that by dating "out" is necessary when they move up the social ladder are suspicious to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City