Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 14,956 times

Advertisements

And actually, you have no idea what your talking about. They used to be MUCH worse. They are getting notably better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,454 times
CUNY's tuition is less than $5000 a year. Roughly $2500 including fees and this is for ALL of CUNY 4 year college. Hunter, Baruch, Brooklyn, College of Staten Island, Medgar Evers, Lehman etc.

The community colleges, LaGuardia, Hostos, Bronx Community College, Borough of Manhattan Community College, etc. which are roughly $1600 per semester.

There is open enrollment but you would do better calling the college of your choice.

What I would suggest for those that do not get into the college of there cost is to do a year at the CUNY college you was accepted to then apply to that school as a transfer student. Meaning accumulated some college credits then transfer.

No everyone isn't accepted in the college of their choice but that doesn't mean you have to stay there.

My three children are CUNY students. Well two now because my oldest daugther graduated from York this pass summer. My son goes to NYC Tech and my youngest daughter goes to BMCC.

CUNY can't be all that bad since enrollment rates have tripled in the past few years.

As you can expect yes I graduated from a CUNY college and now work for one.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Housewife View Post
My husband attended college in the CUNY system and graduated from Hunter. CUNY is great and not a million dollars. It really does not matter that much. People are having hard times finding jobs who went to expensive schools, who has good paying jobs and lost them, and so on.

All in all it does not matter unless you really are fixated on trying to be a big head honcho hotshot and have the personality for that. If you want to try to be some bigwig for some huge company then, it might matter.

But even more so, an MBA is more important. From the way my husband has things going for him, there isn't any issue and there hasn't ever been an issue with him attending CUNY.

I say go for it. Don't be an idiot paying back loans for 30 years. Keep more of your money!
Bravo!!! BS/MS from Hunter works for me. Your last statement is so true.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:26 PM

163 posts, read 484,929 times
Well, CCNY has a great CSC program and it's becoming one of the best looking one as well...There are 11 buildings, 35 acres and the staff are very helpful..advisors are always available. I attended CCNY and don't have any regrets...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I was wondering if New Yorkers thought the CUNY's were reputable. Would you say a freshman out of state person coming to a CUNY would be disappointed? I'm from NJ and the thought of going to school in the city seems like it would be a lot of fun and a great experience. Which CUNY school do you all think is best?
Queens College is probably the best. It has a good amount of notable alumni, is in a nice neighborhood and was ranked 1st in Newsweek as the number one school in America for 1st generation college students.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
For those interested in CUNY, you may want to check out the CUNY Baccalaureate Program through the CUNY Graduate Center. Using this program, you can design your own degree and attend multiple schools. A great feature of the program is that it's much easier for double majors. I was able to add a second major by replacing some of my electives with the 2nd major classes. Otherwise, I would have had to taken somewhere in the area of 25 extra credits.

If anyone has any questions, or wants the line, please PM me.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 17,800 times
The best CUNY schools are without a doubt (in no particular order):
1. Brooklyn College (especially for education, creative writing/english, music, speech, children studies)
2. Hunter College (especially for nursing, liberal arts)
3. Queens College
4. Baruch College (especially for business)
5. CUNY Grad Center (for folks pursuing a PhD)

To lesser extent we have:
City College and John Jay

For the person who started this thread: Obviously, Rutgers would be better that CUNY since Rutgers is #2 in the entire NJ state after Princeton. CUNY is about #5 (after Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Yeshiva) in NYC only.

Last edited by LoveNYC123; 03-07-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 17,800 times
FYI: students @ CUNY end up at the Ivy League (like the #1 Yale Law School) and many of the profs hail from the original Ivy-League or the-might-as-well-be-called-Ivy-League (like U. Chicago, Mich, Berkeley, MIT)

Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Housewife View Post
I say go for it. Don't be an idiot paying back loans for 30 years. Keep more of your money!
Take this advice!
I got my BA from Hunter and it was a great experience.

When I look back on it, I'm so happy that i'm not in debt.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM

31 posts, read 85,718 times
Default Hunter for Masters in Childhood Education

Anybody know how the Graduate Childhood Education program is at Hunter or City College?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City