Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatarupa.de View Post
I am currently into the cuny biochemistry doctoral programme and am eager to know how is university for the doctoral studies?is this system good?does one get into a good placement after coming out of cuny?please let me know as i am an international student and am eager to know about this sytem.
The CUNY Graduate Center is building a very decent reputation.

And my guess is that you will be fine securing contacts there to begin your career here in NY.

Don't sleep on CUNY for undergrad or graduate programs, particularly for those planning to begin careers in NY.

CUNY provides a quality education and the rigor tends to be more intense than private schools (meaning CUNY works your butt off, almost as if they want to make sure you really know your stuff because they have something to prove).

They're not catering to offspring of the wealthy and powerful. No dis intended, but at reputable private schools and the IVY's (which ARE demanding) if you have problems, you may be presented with options or alternatives that are convenient for you, at CUNY you'll get caring support in "working your problems out".

Also, CUNY professors earn more than private university professors, unless they're reknown scholars, famous authors - many of whom have large course meetings in lecture halls and TA's (teaching assistants - doctoral students) actually grading and collecting papers and working with students, so that you have little personal contact with the actual professors (unless you're clever and/or pushy like me...*s*).

I went from CUNY to IVY.

I loved both!

At the IVY, when we watched a movie during class, we had a buffet spread with cheese, crackers, chips, pretzels, sushi, beer, wine, soda, juice.

At CUNY, when we watched a movie, we bought Doritos and a Coke from the vending machine before we came to class.

*s*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 40,795 times
@DonnaReed Senior Member thank u so much for the nice reply bearing the instances and proper justifications to clear my points... by " Don't sleep on CUNY for undergrad or graduate programs, particularly for those planning to begin careers in NY." - do u mean i shouldnt relax after getting enrolled here rite? infact i think i cn get wht u mean by this , as aftr havng my mid term and the finals around corner i cn really feel the rigid coursewrk, the rigorous training and the hectic schedule... yes,it tough..but at the same time the quality is good..i am satisfied... but,since u r experienced ..and have been in ths system and then shifted to IVY...(my heartiest wishes for ur success there at the reputable institute..), can you tell me wht makes the dffrnce in the basic standrd of education/lab wrks/future prospects between cuny and the ivy's?is it just the name or the basic stndrd of eductaion or the flexibilities they provide u whch we dnt get here, as u hve mentioned in ur last reply.. u knw,being an international studnt and new to ths place ,i hve faced many questions that wre like "..r u in ny?in nyu?columbia?...in cuny?...ok...well..hvnt heard much abt it...neway..must be good..!! " or some whre like "is cuny good fr graduate studies?"... they hve puzzled me and added much to my difficulties to think whethr i made a corrct decision in cumng to ny at cuny for phd in biochem or nt? i hope i cn tell u and explain u...arent the studnts placed in good institutions aftr cumng from cuny? i hve chekd the rank..its around top 80's or 90's ..am nt sure..its nt bad...rite? yes,its true..ths hs gt many campus..but is the quality and the standrd bad? if gvn an option..one definitely wud got to ivy...but continuing wth studies here...a bad choice or a wrng step fr future studies? i am looking fr a reply frm an experienced person ,a well wisher of course who cn tell me thse..as there r certain q's whch hve been bothering me and infct more of such because i am new to ths entire country...i dnt knw much.......... thanks again...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
In another thread, I posted that with Baruch's school of Public Affairs, your introductory class had a professor and a practitioner. When I took PAF 9100 some years ago, the professor was Doug Muzzio, arguably the top political commentator in New York City. The practitioner was a mayoral runner-up.

And I believe that folk who took Professor Muzzio's class this year got Mario Cuomo as their practitioner; a class on the 2008 Election.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:34 PM

39 posts, read 164,335 times
Quote:
by " Don't sleep on CUNY for undergrad or graduate programs, particularly for those planning to begin careers in NY." - do u mean i shouldnt relax after getting enrolled here rite?

"Don't sleep" is a colloquialism/slang meaning "don't underestimate".

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat826 View Post
"Don't sleep" is a colloquialism/slang meaning "don't underestimate".
thanks kitkat...*s*

Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
@DonnaReed Senior Member thank u so much for the nice reply bearing the instances and proper justifications to clear my points... by " Don't sleep on CUNY for undergrad or graduate programs, particularly for those planning to begin careers in NY." - do u mean i shouldnt relax after getting enrolled here rite? infact i think i cn get wht u mean by this , as aftr havng my mid term and the finals around corner i cn really feel the rigid coursewrk, the rigorous training and the hectic schedule... yes,it tough..but at the same time the quality is good..i am satisfied... but,since u r experienced ..and have been in ths system and then shifted to IVY...(my heartiest wishes for ur success there at the reputable institute..), can you tell me wht makes the dffrnce in the basic standrd of education/lab wrks/future prospects between cuny and the ivy's?is it just the name or the basic stndrd of eductaion or the flexibilities they provide u whch we dnt get here, as u hve mentioned in ur last reply.. u knw,being an international studnt and new to ths place ,i hve faced many questions that wre like "..r u in ny?in nyu?columbia?...in cuny?...ok...well..hvnt heard much abt it...neway..must be good..!! " or some whre like "is cuny good fr graduate studies?"... they hve puzzled me and added much to my difficulties to think whethr i made a corrct decision in cumng to ny at cuny for phd in biochem or nt? i hope i cn tell u and explain u...arent the studnts placed in good institutions aftr cumng from cuny? i hve chekd the rank..its around top 80's or 90's ..am nt sure..its nt bad...rite? yes,its true..ths hs gt many campus..but is the quality and the standrd bad? if gvn an option..one definitely wud got to ivy...but continuing wth studies here...a bad choice or a wrng step fr future studies? i am looking fr a reply frm an experienced person ,a well wisher of course who cn tell me thse..as there r certain q's whch hve been bothering me and infct more of such because i am new to ths entire country...i dnt knw much.......... thanks again...
Shatarupa, kitkat's definition of "don't sleep" is what I meant.

It IS slang. "Don't sleep on CUNY" means you should pay attention to it.

There are many differences between CUNY colleges and IVY League universities (i.e., atmosphere, resources, protocols).

From my perspective there is NO difference in standard of education.

You ask is there a diffrence when you come out of an IVY?
It's definitely made a difference for me.

But you can do what I did. Go to CUNY and get great grades, and once you get your bachelors, look to pursue graduate study at an IVY League school. You'll save a alot of money and still have the name.

Just remember that the time and effort you put into your education will determine what you will get out of it.

It will be up to you to:

- study and develop good work habits

- get to know your professors and let them know your goals.
(CUNY has excellent professors who are very supportive.)

- find out about all the resources in your school (such as the libarary, counseling, job placement, career placement, tutoring) and take full advantage of them

- get to know other students for networking and contacts

And no matter where you attend, once you graduate, it will be up to you to present yourself in the best light, to be consistent and persistent and and make your education work for you.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Default CUNY colleges offer an excellent education

CUNY is great! I'm in the CUNY Baccalaureate Program for Unique and Interdisciplinary Studies. Which means that I customize my curriculum according to my interests, with guidance from two mentors, and help from advisors. I have a home college which takes care of my bills and transcripts, and yet can pick and choose classes from any of the 20 or so CUNY colleges to work toward my custom degree (and take grad courses if I want, providing the particular college approves). I intend to take classes at Baruch, Hunter, John Jay, and City for my Area of Concentration (major). Right now my home college is at one of the Community Colleges, so I'm working toward my Bachelors while earning my Associates.

CUNY also has an Honors College, and many of the colleges in the CUNY system have combined Bachelors/Masters programs.

My hubby went to Hunter for his Bachelors in a medical field and excelled in his profession, then went to Baruch for his MBA. Pretty much all of his profs in Baruch also teach at Columbia, NYU, Princeton, etc. So, he got his Ivy-league education, in a sense, for public college tuition.

It's odd that so many people in various message boards I've come across always seem to fixate on the Open Admissions thing, but that was changed a few years ago. If anyone is in need of remedial coursework, they must go to the community college, where there is tons of support, tutoring, specialized help for learning disabilities, foreign-language students, and the students who are just plain lost because they've been socially promoted through NYC schools. Yes, lots of students in the CC's struggle, but many excel and go on to win scholarships, and fellowships. CUNY schools also have some pretty remarkable Study Abroad programs.

BTW, I had to take a remedial course because it had been many years since I was in High School and I guess I was never much interested in algebra. I passed that remedial math and have maintained a 4.0 ever since.

One cannot enter a senior college until after passing the CPE (CUNY Proficiency Exam) which is mostly a reading/writing/comprehension test (yes, I passed mine). Each school also has other requirements - Hunter, where I will transfer for my home college, requires a B average. I'd say that's pretty rigorous, and not the "Open Admissions" policy that was first introduced years ago.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 40,795 times
thanks @kitkat, donna reed....
I am currently at the graduate programme in biochemistry in the university...so, shifting to an IVY league...is..perhaps, not possible.
that requires pretty high GRE scores right?I dont have high scores in GRE..they are fair and so in that case I dont think...getting now to an IVY league will be easy...rite?
May be post doc..if at all i want to...or can sustain the thread of patience and perseverance...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 15,828 times
I applied to Baruch, Hunter, Brooklyn, and Manhattan CC(last resort choice) and I think I was rejected by all. I still haven't gotten a letter and when I called the admissions hotline it said I was not accepted into my original choices. I'm out-of-state but I have a 3.0 GPA. Anyone know what's up?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:18 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelylizzie View Post
I applied to Baruch, Hunter, Brooklyn, and Manhattan CC(last resort choice) and I think I was rejected by all. I still haven't gotten a letter and when I called the admissions hotline it said I was not accepted into my original choices. I'm out-of-state but I have a 3.0 GPA. Anyone know what's up?
Ask the admissions office for feedback as to why you were not admitted. I was rejected for the Exec Masters at Baruch. I asked why. They indicated that the Exec was just too competitive, but offered me admission into the regular. I took it, and the rest was history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City