Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
They used to be much, MUCH better. Honestly, Rutgers gives you more bang for the buck than CUNY. Since open admissions was put inot place, the entire CUNY system has gone downhill.
I could not agree more. Reps for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
CUNY, while having its issues a few years ago, have improved tremendously and have re-toughened their standards.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Actually the CUNY's are on an upswing. The last ten years or so. Baruch, City, Hunter, Brooklyn, Queens, and John Jay, have all improved their reputations.

Outside of Rutgers, and Princeton of course, the 4 year CUNY'S are all considered better schools than the schools in Jersey.

However to be honest, I don't think any of them are known for their comp sci program.

Rutgers can give you a high quality education in a lot of subject areas, and it will be cheap for you since you will be in-state.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I think I've been around longer than most...and in the day, CUNY was IT. Better even than NYU.

Sadly, that is a day that's long gone. Starting with the open admissions policy.

I took a summer course at CUNY one summer and was, frankly, astounded at the lack of basic skills: reading skills and ARITHMETIC ability (not math!) were profoundly and blatantly absent. And this was a statistics course, where one might expect a little better grasp of elementary arithmetic.

From what I see in their current graduates and hear in the press, it's not really become any better.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
i went to baruch which is a pretty good school
its easy to get in (still harder than the other cunys) but they will kick you out if you are a ****up
I would say half the professors I had also taught at NYU, and for the most part I thought these were actually worse professors than the other half.
City college has a great engineering problem.

Basically for me it came down to money.I went to one of the top 3 NYC high schools, got a 1300 on the sat (when it was out of 1600) so I could have gone to a lot of different schools if i wanted to get bent over for tuition. Unless you're going to Columbia, Harvard or a school of that caliber, I don't see a point in spending 30k a year or more on college. Nobody will care if you go to some 30k a year school that most people haven't heard of.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think I've been around longer than most...and in the day, CUNY was IT. Better even than NYU.

Sadly, that is a day that's long gone. Starting with the open admissions policy.

I took a summer course at CUNY one summer and was, frankly, astounded at the lack of basic skills: reading skills and ARITHMETIC ability (not math!) were profoundly and blatantly absent. And this was a statistics course, where one might expect a little better grasp of elementary arithmetic.

From what I see in their current graduates and hear in the press, it's not really become any better.

If you are referring to some other students you are correct, especially in introductory classes. I took and passed the AP calculus test in high school, for which I received college credit. For some reason the geniuses in the admissions office at Baruch still wanted me to take a math placement test (I did not even have to take a math class since I had the calculus credits already) I realized that instead of arguing with them it would be faster just to take the stupid test.
The test consisted of basic questions an 8th grader would know. I asked the proctor what was passing and she said 65% so I answered the first 13 questions and handed the test in. When I looked around i saw some people still stuck on number 3 with dumb looks on their faces. However these people get weeded out for the most part within a year or 2. Im not saying that everyone is a genius, but in general people are stupid so the graduating class ends up being made up of what you would expect from any good college.

As far as being better than NYU- Baruch is in all seriousness a better undergrad school than NYU. NYU has a great graduate program, but I know a lot of people who went to NYU, had NYU professors and the work they got was a lot easier than the work we got. NYU is mostly reputation, filled with a bunch of rich kids who have mommy and daddy pay their overpriced tuition. You'll also receive a better education at city college if you go for engineering and probably at John Jay as well.

The open admissions policy does bring it down, but like I said a kid who had a 76 average in some worthless NYC high school and got an 880 on the sat won't be graduating anyway.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM

I said this on another thread, but I'll repeat here......

I went to Baruch as a grad student, in it's School of Public Affairs. As an undergrad, I went to Syracuse's world-renowned Maxwell School of Public Affairs. While I enjoyed my time at SU, I will be very real. Baruch's professors will run circles around Maxwell, on many levels. I am well qualified to say this because I experienced both! Now, of course, Maxwell has the prestige, but I truly enjoyed my graduate education at Baruch. I chose Baruch due to cost constraints, and I have never regretted it!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM

scat- how long ago
i know a lot of under grad professors that also taught at the graduate level
A lot of students were disappointed when we actually had an intelligent professor who did more than have us memorize facts from a book since that is all some of these people who thought they were smart are capable of (god forbid you have to actually think) Most of these types of professors taught at the graduate level as well.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
scat- how long ago
i know a lot of under grad professors that also taught at the graduate level
A lot of students were disappointed when we actually had an intelligent professor who did more than have us memorize facts from a book since that is all some of these people who thought they were smart are capable of (god forbid you have to actually think) Most of these types of professors taught at the graduate level as well.
Syracuse University, 1990, BA
Baruch College, 2007, MPA

Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
CUNY IS EXCELLENT!

(You can save your money and get the prestigious name from graduate study, like I did.)

You'll get a great education within CUNY which has high standards (quiet as it's kept, higher standards for completion of studies than some private colleges).

Queens College and Brooklyn College are the best of CUNY!
for 4-year

Queensborough and Kingsborough are the best of CUNY - 2-year.

All of the above are great schools and CUNY overall has great programs and great, committed professors.

Of course, Baruch is thee CUNY school for Business Majors.

But you can major in Computers in the liberal arts schools as well.

Also, The College of Technology of New York (formerly known as City Tech) in Downtown, Brooklyn, is also a 4-year college great for information systems type majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City