Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 26,329 times

Advertisements

Thanks Donna!

My dilemma was whether try to get into a good school regardless of its location or go to NY directly and try to make my way there while I study. I think the second would be the best option, yet I know it will be difficult because NY is expensive, and there is so much competition as well. But I will try and give my best and see what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Well just considering the NYC area, Baruch is a very good choice if you are definitively set on studying Business. The "bang for you buck" is excellent.

Columbia, NYU, Pace, and St Johns have well regarded Business programs but they are all much more expensive.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 AM

10 posts, read 38,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well just considering the NYC area, Baruch is a very good choice if you are definitively set on studying Business. The "bang for you buck" is excellent.

Columbia, NYU, Pace, and St Johns have well regarded Business programs but they are all much more expensive.

Yes, I was planning to apply to NYU, but admissions will begin this fall and, in the case I was admitted, I would start in Fall 2009. I also looked into Columbia, but they don't have a Business major (undergraduate); only in Economics. And I haven't checked Pace & St. John's really, although I will now. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,103 times
Default John Jay MPA vs. Baruch MPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I was wondering if New Yorkers thought the CUNY's were reputable. Would you say a freshman out of state person coming to a CUNY would be disappointed? I'm from NJ and the thought of going to school in the city seems like it would be a lot of fun and a great experience. Which CUNY school do you all think is best?
I got accepted to both John Jay's and Baruch's MPA program and I can't figure out which school to attend. I think John Jay has better concentrations.

Your feed back is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 40,799 times
I am currently into the cuny biochemistry doctoral programme and am eager to know how is university for the doctoral studies?is this system good?does one get into a good placement after coming out of cuny?please let me know as i am an international student and am eager to know about this sytem.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,955 times
Baruch was and perhaps is still one of the best. I attended in the late 80s. The open admissions does hurt but Baruch in 1986 had a 38% freshman dropout rate and by graduation the total came to 50%. I loved it. One professor in freshman year had us face the person next to us and told us within 4yrs statistically one of us would be gone. Tough love but it corrected the open admissions idiocy. They've tried to be pc but the fact is you can't do high school work in college. Remedial work just doesn't belong in that environment. To sum up, several professors used the line "if you want to see curves go to Shea" and boy did they mean it. Eventually the accreditation agencies threatened to pull accred to to drop out rates. Problem is you can't fix stupid.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM

706 posts, read 3,764,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzfan View Post
Baruch was and perhaps is still one of the best. I attended in the late 80s. The open admissions does hurt but Baruch in 1986 had a 38% freshman dropout rate and by graduation the total came to 50%. I loved it. One professor in freshman year had us face the person next to us and told us within 4yrs statistically one of us would be gone. Tough love but it corrected the open admissions idiocy. They've tried to be pc but the fact is you can't do high school work in college. Remedial work just doesn't belong in that environment. To sum up, several professors used the line "if you want to see curves go to Shea" and boy did they mean it. Eventually the accreditation agencies threatened to pull accred to to drop out rates. Problem is you can't fix stupid.
metzfan, open admissions isn't a bad thing.

There are students who simply have not had the privilege of a quality education in high school and/or an education which has prepared them for traditional-level college courses and open admissions affords those students "opportunity".

Once the opportunity is afforded what the students do with it is key. Hardworking, dedicated, determined students who start out in remedial courses tend to do well and in many cases excel.

There are also older students who have been out of the academic loop for a period of time and need "remedial" courses to help them to get back into the academic swing.

Should all of these students be denied the opportunity for college education?

In addition, it's not unusual that students who graduate with honors began in remedial courses, AND many go on to successful careers as well as masters and even Ph.D programs.

Don't kid yourself, lack of preparation and intelligence are not the same. For those students who resolve that what they lack in preparation, they will make up for in determination, lack of preparation is simply an obstacle to be overcome.

And for the record, there are many college students who do not enter college in remediation and who lack the skills and/or the commitment necessary for academic rigor and success in college.

Furthermore, as far as stupid - intelligence and formal education are not one and the same, highly edjamucated folks are not immune to, or excempt from stupidity.

My Daddy had a middle school education, but ran his own businesses and taught me and my siblings what we needed to know to survive and thrive, and he saw every one of his children through college AND his wife.
My Granny had a third grade education and was smart as a whip.

As an educator, I'm always pushing for formal education.
College is a hustle that secure a decent gig and it does enhance thinking and allow for learning of standard information, skills, language through which folks will often draw conclusions about intelligence.

but if you think that because students enter college with less skills or academic information than others that that makes them stupid, or that academic success is the be-all end-all, then you're missing the money.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:08 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,680 times
Great post DonnaReed!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 21,361 times
I go to Hunter and I would recommend it millions of times over. I know a whole bunch of students in Baruch as well. I would recommend that school as well. Don't look at college board etc with the statistics. If you want to get a feel for the school come down and walk around campus. You'll see what you like. The teachers are great, ( of course you get teachers that don't but that's every college isn't it?) I would recommend Cuny, you really do get a good education.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
Great post DonnaReed!
Why thank you, Pete Piper.

*s*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City