Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A point that has been missed. CUNY doesn't travel as well around the country as a really good private or an Ivy would. So you do kinda limit yourself geographically when you go to CUNY, and to a certain degree a SUNY. It's something to consider when thinking about attending a CUNY/SUNY.

I disagree with that. I graduated from John Jay and almost everyone I have met in the Criminal Justice field is aware of John JAY. JJ has strong/positive rep around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 AM

52 posts, read 203,001 times
I'm an international student who has applied to CCNY @ CUNY for a Masters in Architecture for Fall 08.
The fees are $555 per credit = $9990 per semester = $19980 per year.

Still worth it to attend CUNY?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,137 times
chopsky- how long is there masters program?
if you are a nyc resident the tuition is significantly cheaper. Cuny will give you the dscounted rate once you are a resident for a year, so after your first year the tuition should go down a lot.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:19 PM

24 posts, read 151,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
I was wondering if New Yorkers thought the CUNY's were reputable. Would you say a freshman out of state person coming to a CUNY would be disappointed? I'm from NJ and the thought of going to school in the city seems like it would be a lot of fun and a great experience. Which CUNY school do you all think is best?
I don't know if you're aware of this, but you should apply to the Macaulay Honors College. Although it's only about 10 years old, it's an extremely good program that's very exclusive. I'm in it at CSI, but for Computer Science, I would recommend City College. Google Macaulay Honors College, you won't be disappointed. If you make it, you're required to complete and internship and you will actually know your advisor on a first name basis, which is always a plus. They give you a lot- free laptop, free tuition, $7500 study grant, and perhaps the most important, priority registration. Definitely look into it if you have the grades.

Oh, but you have to pay for City's dorms. Hunter has free dorms for their Honors College students, so that might be a factor. Bear in mind Hunter's MHC is the toughest to get into, followed by Baruch.

I thought going in that the CUNYs would be a breeze, but I was surprised to find out how challenging they actually are. CUNYs are no joke.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSiggs View Post
I don't know if you're aware of this, but you should apply to the Macaulay Honors College. Although it's only about 10 years old, it's an extremely good program that's very exclusive. I'm in it at CSI, but for Computer Science, I would recommend City College. Google Macaulay Honors College, you won't be disappointed. If you make it, you're required to complete and internship and you will actually know your advisor on a first name basis, which is always a plus. They give you a lot- free laptop, free tuition, $7500 study grant, and perhaps the most important, priority registration. Definitely look into it if you have the grades.

Oh, but you have to pay for City's dorms. Hunter has free dorms for their Honors College students, so that might be a factor. Bear in mind Hunter's MHC is the toughest to get into, followed by Baruch.

I thought going in that the CUNYs would be a breeze, but I was surprised to find out how challenging they actually are. CUNYs are no joke.
Bill Macaulay spoke at Baruch's commencement. I think he put up about $30 million, the largest ever grant ever given to CUNY.

I am thankful that the Bill Macaulay's of the world never gave up on CUNY! Very thankful!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 AM

52 posts, read 203,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
chopsky- how long is there masters program?
if you are a nyc resident the tuition is significantly cheaper. Cuny will give you the dscounted rate once you are a resident for a year, so after your first year the tuition should go down a lot.
It's 3 years long.
Do you get residency after a year whether you're a citezen or not ?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 26,329 times
If I wanted to work in, let's say, Wall Street, and I have good grade in college (GPA 4.0) is CUNY Baruch a good option to transfer? Or should I try to go to a better school somewhere else and then try to get a job in NY?

My initial idea was to get a job in a company in NY while I study (even es a receptionist, i don't mind) and grow from there.

What do you guys think?
Thank you!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,094 times
Im goin to Baruch and I like it alot! It's a great school with alot of opportunities.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Im goin to Baruch and I like it alot! It's a great school with alot of opportunities.
Which program are you in?

Great doggone school!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azul235 View Post
If I wanted to work in, let's say, Wall Street, and I have good grade in college (GPA 4.0) is CUNY Baruch a good option to transfer? Or should I try to go to a better school somewhere else and then try to get a job in NY?

My initial idea was to get a job in a company in NY while I study (even es a receptionist, i don't mind) and grow from there.

What do you guys think?
Thank you!
An A school name on your resume is not a bad thing.
It's a high card you can toss on the table at interviews.

But it's also all about your ambition, your energy, your knowledge, and your communications skills...which will have you milk your degree from wherever you obtain it.

Baruch is thee business college of CUNY and is in Manhattan as is Wall Street.

You should be able to make valuable NYC connections.

I'm sure they have a career office and professors who know people.

You can work while studying and/or seek an internship.

Attending Baruch sounds like a plan to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City