Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times

Advertisements

I would suggest that everyone listen to the the opening statement of this interview, from the top political reporter in the City of New York! (just click on the RealVideo link).

By the way, Dominic Carter spoke of The Newhouse School of Communications. I just commented on Maxwell.

Full disclosure....Doug Muzzio, the interviewer, is my former professor at Baruch, while Dominic is my former resident advisor (RA) at Syracuse.

City Talk :: Program Details

Last edited by scatman; 01-28-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 67,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I said this on another thread, but I'll repeat here......

I went to Baruch as a grad student, in it's School of Public Affairs. As an undergrad, I went to Syracuse's world-renowned Maxwell School of Public Affairs. While I enjoyed my time at SU, I will be very real. Baruch's professors will run circles around Maxwell, on many levels. I am well qualified to say this because I experienced both! Now, of course, Maxwell has the prestige, but I truly enjoyed my graduate education at Baruch. I chose Baruch due to cost constraints, and I have never regretted it!
I will begin teaching this coming fall at Baruch, and wanted to re-iterate that a place like Baruch (and, I'm assuming, most of the other better CUNYs) will have many professors from the tops of their ranks b/c NYC is a big draw for many individuals. At first, I hadn't heard of Baruch when I applied, and was not expecting to find that each and every faculty member in my department has a PhD from absolutely the places in my field. Yet they all do (e.g. Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Berkeley).

So I would guess that if you were motivated you'd be well positioned to excel, and have great minds to work with. Save the more 'prestigious' universities for graduate work.

$0.02

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM

508 posts, read 2,120,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
thats just not true-
however cuny has changed their policies a lot
it used to be if you graduated from a NYC high school you were autmatically accpeted at whatever cuny school you wanted- now you are just guaranteed admission to a community college.
Exactly! Open admissions has been greatly reduced, especially for the senior colleges: City, Hunter, Baruch etc. Now you have to have a set SAT score and GPA to even be considered for CUNY.

I graduated from CUNY and it's a lot more rigorous and demanding than a lot of people think. I took classes with students from NYU, Fordham and Columbia who came just to save money on tuition and expected our courses to be easier and they were greatly surprised.

My only problem with CUNY is that they do not help their students obtain employment and internships in NYC. And since so many people come to NYC from all over the country and all over the world, it is often overlooked. Remember there are so many Ivy League and Top 40 school grads who come to NYC to live and work. I think that CUNY has to do more to promote its grads.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,378 times
My only problem with CUNY is that they do not help their students obtain employment and internships in NYC. And since so many people come to NYC from all over the country and all over the world, it is often overlooked.

Thats true- i remember at Baruch there were maybe 4 or 5 counselors for the whole school as well. Friends I talked to in other more expensive schools had something like a 20-1 student to counselor ratio. Its really a matter of economics, but it is defintly something to consider.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
i went to baruch which is a pretty good school
its easy to get in (still harder than the other cunys) but they will kick you out if you are a ****up
I would say half the professors I had also taught at NYU, and for the most part I thought these were actually worse professors than the other half.
City college has a great engineering problem.

Basically for me it came down to money.I went to one of the top 3 NYC high schools, got a 1300 on the sat (when it was out of 1600) so I could have gone to a lot of different schools if i wanted to get bent over for tuition. Unless you're going to Columbia, Harvard or a school of that caliber, I don't see a point in spending 30k a year or more on college. Nobody will care if you go to some 30k a year school that most people haven't heard of.
and what did you do with your degree? what do you think is more impressive, a degree from any ivy or a cuny degree?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
and what did you do with your degree? what do you think is more impressive, a degree from any ivy or a cuny degree?
While not arguing with the Ivys, I will say that people go to different schools for different reasons.

As for me, Syracuse's Maxwell School has been ranked even or higher than the Kennedy School and Wagner (look it up!). However, I chose Baruch Public Affairs School over Maxwell, Kennedy and Wagner due to three main factors; 1) Cost....1/10 the cost of Maxwell; and 2) I did not have the resources to leave my job, move to Syracuse, or anywhere else, and become a full-time student again; and 3) I went to Maxwell as an undergrad, so I can still list it on my resume. APV, you may not necessarily hire me, but I'm sure others will, and I can make my degree(s) work for me.

By the way, those Baruch professors that taught me are highly regarded in this city, So if I used any one of them as a referrence, it would go a looooong way on my resume!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
While not arguing with the Ivys, I will say that people go to different schools for different reasons.

As for me, Syracuse's Maxwell School has been ranked even or higher than the Kennedy School and Wagner (look it up!). However, I chose Baruch Public Affairs School over Maxwell, Kennedy and Wagner due to three main factors; 1) Cost....1/10 the cost of Maxwell; and 2) I did not have the resources to leave my job, move to Syracuse, or anywhere else, and become a full-time student again; and 3) I went to Maxwell as an undergrad, so I can still list it on my resume. APV, you may not necessarily hire me, but I'm sure others will, and I can make my degree(s) work for me.

By the way, those Baruch professors that taught me are highly regarded in this city, So if I used any one of them as a referrence, it would go a looooong way on my resume!
I'm not saying you cannot get a job with a cuny diploma but you will get better jobs with a diploma from a better school.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
I'm not saying you cannot get a job with a cuny diploma but you will get better jobs with a diploma from a better school.
I think too many people underestimate how much better CUNY schools have gotten as opposed to their down times! I've said it before; those CUNY professors are very great teachers. So what's more important, the teaching or the name?

As for "better jobs with a diploma from a 'better' school", If you saw the clip I posted of the interview of NY1's Dominic Carter, that may not always be true. We'll probably agree to disagree on this. Peace.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,378 times
apvguy- if you're asking which is better a degree from an ivy league school or cuny obviously an ivy league school
But most people don't go to ivy league school, they go to run of the mill schools most people haven't heard of and pay 30k a year for the privilege. That makes no sense to me.

As for me personally I never got a job. I started playing poker while I was in school, saw i was making a ton more than any job I would get and haven't stopped. I've never been the working type and hope I never have to work.Ive got enough saved up where I could buy a decent coop in cash and still not have to work for about 7-8 years, and thats if I stopped making money tomorrow. If I had started playing 4 years earlier I wouldnt have even bothered going to school.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
A point that has been missed. CUNY doesn't travel as well around the country as a really good private or an Ivy would. So you do kinda limit yourself geographically when you go to CUNY, and to a certain degree a SUNY. It's something to consider when thinking about attending a CUNY/SUNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City