Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
Not sure if these have already been mentioned in this thread, but some key details are omitted by nearly all media reports on this case. The alleged coverup by Liang and his partner took place before they realized someone had been hit. The accidental discharge happened as Liang was entering the stairs from the 8th floor. After his gun went off, Liang retreated back to the hallway behind the door to the stairwell and had a discussion with his partner. They did not realize at this time that the bullet had ricocheted down the completely dark stairwell and hit someone on a floor below. It was only after they re-entered the stairwell and descended the stairs to investigate sounds coming from below did they finally discover the fatally injured Gurley on the 5th floor landing, upon which Liang radioed in for help.

Not immediately radioing in the accidental discharge is clearly wrong, but does that make it manslaughter even though Liang and his partner had no idea that someone was dying in the stairwell three floors below them? Even if they had radioed in immediately, it would not have saved Gurley's life as they would not have called for medical help as they did not think anyone was hit initially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Very few humans live in those buildings. No real humans should be there. Any thing living there should be required to exit the building to receive city services (which they require to survive, of course).
Do you know enough to confirm what this guy is saying? That the cover up/calling the union rep was for the accidental discharge and before they knew someone in a below floor was hit? If it's true that changes things a lot from the story that the media is portraying that he was calling his union rep standing next to a guy that was dying instead of calling for help. In this scenario actually I can't see how most people would be convicted of manslaughter unless they had an illegal arms and/or doing other illegal things that directly led to the shooting.

I guess he got convicted not because he was calling his union rep knowing that someone was hit as that wasn't accused by the prosecutor. So he had an accidental discharge, didn't realize that it hit anything, texts his union rep for advice because he thought that he'd be fired for mishandling the gun, and then finds out that someone was shot when they made their way to locate where the bullet hit. That's much different than all the news headlines.

"Prosecutors have not accused Liang of intending to shoot anyone. But they said he acted recklessly in unholstering his weapon and then failing to check whether the bullet hit anyone because he was too worried about losing his job."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ne...-idUSKCN0V31C8

Last edited by bumblebyz; 02-19-2016 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
I dont know if this has been posted, but there is a schedule protests in over 40 cities by the chinese over the conviction

Chinese-Americans Organize Mass Protests After Conviction of NYPD Officer Peter Liang

Will any of you be attending?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:04 PM

419 posts, read 626,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Very few humans live in those buildings. No real humans should be there. Any thing living there should be required to exit the building to receive city services (which they require to survive, of course).
bravo, the best thread!!!

Old 02-20-2016, 03:57 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 153,015 times
Funny how there's even a debate about this killing. The typical dehumanizing of a completely innocent black person who did nothing wrong but yet as usual the same idiots only believe when a black person kills another black person should he go to jail. The same ole stuff from the early 1900's. It could have easily been a white social worker or even another cop in that stairwell that got shot and killed by this officer and we all know how the same idiots opinion would change. We seen it over and over again.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,288 times
Default Officer in 2004 Fatal Shooting

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/ny...pend.html?_r=0
The police officer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager on a Brooklyn rooftop nearly three years ago was suspended on Thursday for 30 days without pay by Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly, a department spokesman said yesterday.

The officer, Richard S. Neri Jr., was also permanently stripped of his gun, has been reassigned to a property clerk’s office and could be fired during the next year for any infraction, according to Paul J. Browne, the Police Department spokesman.

On Jan. 24, 2004, the teenager, Timothy Stansbury Jr., 19, was on the roof of the Louis Armstrong Houses in Bedford-Stuyvesant when he was killed by Officer Neri, who had been patrolling the rooftop. Commissioner Kelly said at the time that the shooting did not appear to be justified. Officer Neri has said that he accidentally fired his gun.

Irene Clayburne, 76, Mr. Stansbury’s grandmother, said Officer Neri’s punishment was inadequate.

“He should spend the rest of his life in jail,†she said, adding, “That man killed my grandchild.â€

Initially, a judge at a departmental trial concluded that Officer Neri should retain his gun and lose 30 vacation days for the fatal shooting.

Mr. Browne said it would be unprecedented for an officer to be fired for an accidental shooting and pointed out that a grand jury in 2004 declined to indict Officer Neri.

Mitchell Garber, Officer Neri’s lawyer, declined to comment yesterday.

Mike Ledbetter, 25, a friend of Mr. Stansbury’s, said he felt betrayed that Officer Neri was not fired.

“That’s a smack in our faces,†he said. Mr. Ledbetter pointed to a spot where he had broken down in tears the night his friend had been killed.

“It hurts, it really hurts,†he said. “It could have been me. It could have been my little niece.â€

For Mr. Ledbetter and others, the killing of Mr. Stansbury remains raw. The stretch of Lexington Avenue between Tompkins and Marcy Avenues has been renamed Timothy Stansbury Jr. Avenue. Every month, friends light candles at a corner of the building where he lived.

Yesterday, tea candles still wet from a recent rain were on display. One read: “We miss U kid.â€

“We do it the 24th of every month,†Mr. Ledbetter said. “We’ll do it until we get justice.â€

Enough said..hypocrisy at its best.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
So did those protests happen? HOw they go?

Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I cannot imagine a bullet bouncing of wall after wall and down 3 floors to pierce a stairwalker's heart. What is this, the same magic bullet that shot Kennedy several times.

(I would also love to know how many shells the cops actually confiscated and hid.)

Good rule of thumb: "when the cops are telling a story, odds are good that the story is a lie."

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I just saw the news break that (former) NYPD Officer Liang has been found guilty of 2* Manslaughter and Official Misconduct. He faces a maximum sentence of 5 to 15 years.

For those who don't remember, this is a case that happened in November 2014. Liang and his partner were doing "verticle patrol" in The Pink Houses in ENY. He had his gun out and, as they were descending the steps between floors, he heard a noise and his gun discharged. The bullet richocheted and hit a man. It didn't kill him instantly. The big problem was that Liang panicked and tried to find and hide the bullet casing, failed to call in the incident immediately, didn't provide aid (even though he didn't have to), and argued with his partner as to what story to tell. His partner was given full immunity for his story.
And then lied about it, correct?

Sending two rooks into the Pink Houses, and then have an incident in a unlit stairwell, rarely maintained by Housing (I'm from the old school, so I call NYCHA 'Housing').........!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:45 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
How did they not know someone was hit by the bullet? Wasn't the victim with his girlfriend? I would think she would have been screaming.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
How did they not know someone was hit by the bullet? Wasn't the victim with his girlfriend? I would think she would have been screaming.

I think it might be likely that she was petrified of making a noise lest she be shot too. Everyone knows that dead women make terrible witnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City