Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
No educated non-fob is gonna protest just like no white person is gonna protest because of a hate crime against them. S*it happens and that's life. No big deal. But if you think that they're okay with this then you're more than wrong my friend. 99% will just keep it to themselves.
If they're not even discussing it, then how do you know how they feel about it? And fobs can be educated too, but people who haven't lived in this country their whole life have a different perspective on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,050,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
If they're not even discussing it, then how do you know how they feel about it? And fobs can be educated too, but people who haven't lived in this country their whole life have a different perspective on things.
Well you know when enough of them like a Facebook page. Even with affirmative action no one discusses it in person. But you get the snide comment and eyes rolling whenever the topic comes up, but I've hardly even encountered any discussion lasting more than a few minutes. It's like they just accept things because that's the way life is or just don't want to rock the boat. I think it's a bit of both.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Many Chinese understand that they're foreigners in a foreign land and life goes on.
I don't think this applies to just Chinese. Most minorities realize they are second class citizens in america and there is a double standard and a hypocrisy in the treatment of minorities vs white people (white privilege). Best thing that can happen to Chinese around the world is the rise of china, with power and wealth comes respect.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I don't think this applies to just Chinese. Most minorities realize they are second class citizens in america and there is a double standard and a hypocrisy in the treatment of minorities vs white people (white privilege). Best thing that can happen to Chinese around the world is the rise of china, with power and wealth comes respect.
Well I'm pretty sure Chinese-Americans make more money than white Americans on average, yet Liang didn't get nearly as much support as he would have if he were white.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Well I don't think Blacks and Hispanics (other than Mexicans cause they're new, and have a distinguishable appearance) aren't considered Americans or don't feel like Americans. Sure they may not get treated the same if that defines what a second class citizen is, but at least people consider them American.

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure Chinese-Americans make more money than white Americans on average, yet Liang didn't get nearly as much support as he would have if he were white.
Well he's a goofball that isn't white, why would whites want to associated with a guy that fumbles a gun killing someone. The only reason some Asians care about it is because people don't usually get convicted for accidental deaths so some see it as a double standard especially after all the other police incidents that we've all read about in recent times.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:47 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,336 times
Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure Chinese-Americans make more money than white Americans on average
In corporate society, 75% of senior management are made up of white male followed by 13% of senior management being made up of white women. So minorities have a uphill battle in climbing the ranks of a corporate environment and having to fight for promotions and salary. Many times a minority needs to be twice as good as a white person in order to gain the same recognition and many times during a recession the minority is the first to get fired because the senior guy likes the guy who reminds him of his son.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
In corporate society, 75% of senior management are made up of white male followed by 13% of senior management being made up of white women. So minorities have a uphill battle in climbing the ranks of a corporate environment and having to fight for promotions and salary. Many times a minority needs to be twice as good as a white person in order to gain the same recognition and many times during a recession the minority is the first to get fired because the senior guy likes the guy who reminds him of his son.
In the Chinese forums that my wife reads, the Chinese women there came to the conclusion that Asian females do better in corporate America than Asian males all else being equal based on their own experiences and they use that to joke why it's better having girls for Asians in the US. So I concur with the uphill battle part because in most cases promotions to management are not objective because it's hard to be objective so people will promote whom they like more. Not sure if it's the same for other minorities.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
his bullet could just as easily struck a innocent little girl or a elderly person that was using the steps

Is a man's life worth any less?

Lately I have taken to running the building's steps (enclosed stairwell) nightly for exercise. Perhaps this is not the world's best idea.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 AM

562 posts, read 465,111 times
Clearly, the cop was afraid to patrol the projects. This explains why he was patrolling with his gun in hand. I simply do not understand why he chose to go into that project building.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Accidental discharge?
With gun unholstered, safety off, gun aimed forward, and finger on the trigger, and then the trigger is PULLED. What is accidental about that?

Accidental discharge is dropping a gun and having it go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City