Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 9,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
NYC Corrections suffers from the few bad apples syndrome. The job has become overwhelmingly black & Hispanic and many of the NYPD see them as ghetto and want as little as possible to do with them. There has been quite a bit of friction recently between the rank & file stemming from a couple of isolated incidents & issues between the unions during contract negotiations/arbitration.
I am a Correction Officer I have work for the DOC for over twenty years. There are many reasons why correction officers have a bad reputation with the NYPD, and they are formed for many reasons I cannot post. For the most part, there is a perception that we are jail guards in most NYPD circles. The NYPD has had a history of looking down at DOC employees. Some are valid and some are totally off the wall. I can make a distinction in that minorites are better welcomed in DOC than in the NYPD. Most DOC are minorities that were born and raised in NYC, as oppossed to most PD recuits are from long island, and staten island. DOC officers have a real sense of the city and the people that live in it. Doc for the most part is more "SECURITY CONSCIENCE" than PD. Most PD officers will never work in a prison environment if they were laid off from PD and were given the option to continue working for the city as a correction officer, although many had during the Abe Beam years of the 70's. Both academy's teach professionalism, respect for yourself and others. Booth need 60 college credits to join. Both retire with half pay after 20 years of service. I can only say that some bad apples project a sense of unprofessionalism when confronted by a Police Officer that may stop us for taking a light or speeding. Some of us do not show proper respect to a Police Officer, and act confrontational and disrespectful, so the Police Officer does not extend the courtisy to us. The best solution to change this perception would be to show common courtisy to the Police even when we feel that we are not treated as law enforcement officers with a common goal which is to come home in one piece to our family at the end of the day.

Last edited by fernandoluis7; 03-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 164,539 times
Im currently working as a security guard and have my 8 and 16 hour and fireguard certificates , wanted to know whether or not that would slow the filing process down for me as to becoming a member of DoC , if not anyone know what some of the requirements are?

Last edited by JohnnyBaggO; 03-09-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I have a couple of family members who spent their career as C.O.'s at Rikers. One still works there with over 20 years on the job, the other retired. The job is what it is, and it's not for everyone. One concern on the job today (at least from his perspective) is the amount of women being hired on. It's a little unnerving to be running to the scene of a fight between two 6'3" monsters and you look behind you to see who your back-up is and it's a 5'3" pudgy female.

It's a dangerous job with a very high depression rate. Like teaching, it's not a job you should take just for a paycheck and benefits, or you will grow old real fast.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:24 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBaggO View Post
Im currently working as a security guard and have my 8 and 16 hour and fireguard certificates , wanted to know whether or not that would slow the filing process down for me as to becoming a member of DoC , if not anyone know what some of the requirements are?
You need to have at least 39 college credits to join.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I have a couple of family members who spent their career as C.O.'s at Rikers. One still works there with over 20 years on the job, the other retired. The job is what it is, and it's not for everyone. One concern on the job today (at least from his perspective) is the amount of women being hired on. It's a little unnerving to be running to the scene of a fight between two 6'3" monsters and you look behind you to see who your back-up is and it's a 5'3" pudgy female.

It's a dangerous job with a very high depression rate. Like teaching, it's not a job you should take just for a paycheck and benefits, or you will grow old real fast.
never knew that...always thought that females were only allowed to be C.O.'s for female inmates , would only seem logical

Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 9,251 times
hello im new to the forum. can any one tell me how long after the letter with my list number will orientation be. also does any one know if there will be a june academy class.
exam 8302 - 6/08
list # rec. - 3/10/09
list number - 152
score - 88.75

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM

corrections is getting rid of 800 through atrribution , and I believe they are also skipping the next academy class , as well as FDNY AND NYPD

Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
corrections is getting rid of 800 through atrribution...
Don't you mean leaving because of attrition?

Quote:
...and I believe they are also skipping the next academy class...
According to a poster here, the alleged reason why they might skip the upcoming class(if) is because they don't have "enough qualified candidates" to fill one in. It's not a money problem. Correction is looking to hire thousands (http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/2009/0313/exam/002.html - broken link).

Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM

52 posts, read 233,952 times
Default Maybe it is and maybe it isn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee_cal View Post
I have a friend who is planning on taking the NYC corrections officer exam in May. I just wanted to know realistically is it a good idea? I have seen those shows called Locked Up that shows all the violence behind the prison system and I have told her I think its a preety dangerous job for a woman. But I could be wrong. She wants to work in the female prison or downtown holding. Are any of you corrections officers who can shed light on this? how long does the process take once you take the test and how is the academy? how many women actually survive the academy? Are you allowed to pick where you work? by the way shes only 5'3" and average height. Thanks

p.s.
I am leaving NYC because I can no longer survive financially with my 2 kids and hubby, and my friend is trying to get me to take the test to stay in NYC.
One of my friends is a corrections officer on Riker's. I would say it stands to reason to expect it cannot be easy on the mind as well as the body...my friend is a normal looking lady that is not loud or tough but you can see she tends to be firm in things if you know what I mean...for all it's worth...if you think you are the type it's for you...if you get overwhelmed easily it's not for you...I know I'm more of the "sensitive" type and could not do it...that said...what are your skills and background? Maybe we can send you some links that can help you find a job in another field too... either way...GOOD LUCK to you!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,872 times
Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone could please tell me , about the test structure . My test date is on 08/01/2009. Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City