Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:30 PM

19,077 posts, read 14,021,445 times

Advertisements

When in doubt, claim racism.

Lol typical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
WELL SAID!! I'd rep you a 1000% points if I could. We have plenty of Americans here suffering, yet our elected officials don't give a damn because they are too busy pandering to people who are here ILLEGALLY. People don't have a problem with LEGAL immigrants. They abide by the law, enter the country LEGALLY and go about their lives accordingly. Our economy can't continue to support a broken system and that's one reason wages are so stagnant here. Too many illegal immigrants coming here willing to work for dirt cheap undercutting Americans in just about EVERY sector (not just the low paying ones).

Some people have this belief that illegal immigrants ONLY do jobs that Americans don't want and that is simply untrue. You can look at the construction sector as a perfect example. Skilled union workers being undercut by illegals coming in and doing the job not only cheaper, but being paid in cash under the table, meaning less taxes paid by the people doing the hiring, which means more money going out of the economy.
The real reason businesses higher illegals is to pay them less money and avoid paying payroll taxes. I never hear right wingers speak of punishing these business owners. In NYC and other cities, certain businesses hiring lots of illegals are fronts for money laundering. Take the delis. Yet because of ideology Republicans cannot go after blatantly criminal business owners.

If you get rid of illegals of course wages will rise. And so will prices. Which is why the government doesn't go after these businesses. Neither Giuliani nor Bloomberg did any major cooperation with the Feds on undocumented immigrants.

Ironically I think the marketplace and gentrification were the main drivers in shutting down criminal businesses as these places could not afford rising rents as neighborhoods became better and name brand stores are all on the books with employees of legal status.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:10 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,058,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yet another liberal trying to blur the lines between legal and illegal. No illegal is getting 2 bucks an hour. In AZ they are claiming 12-20 and it's usually not by the hour but by volume.

If an illegal business cannot pay a legal wage to a legal worker it should fail. Besides, we already subsidize farmers.
GTF outta here with your quoting me as liberal. For the record I'm a political atheist! Hell, I'd love to pay cheap for my food and handy work all while being a staunch 2nd amendment supporter!

I highly doubt illegals are getting paid normal wages. LOL! Why else would a business risk hiring them if they're paying them good ol American wages?! Pug-lease!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 PM

19,077 posts, read 14,021,445 times
As much as I hate illegal immigration, my #1 political issue by far is the 2nd Amendment, so I like you.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 PM

For the record I too despise liberals, in the sense that liberals seek nothing but minor and often ineffective reform. Example: liberals want to reform public education. I want to take a wrecking ball and bulldozer and demolish public education as we currently have it. I am not a favor or the educational bureaucracy at all. Bureaucrats with their doctorates of education have shown us they are largely ineffective.

So the Republicans and Trump will get no opposition from me on gutting this awful system. I think education should be controlled by the community. One terrible factor in producing the crime some of you like to talk about is a crappy public educational system where parents have no ties and no real stake in.

The other things I despise liberals for is the horrible social welfare system. Instead of ending the marginalization of minorities, let's give them crumbs and keep them marginalized in the ghetto.

Just because someone disagrees with Trump and the Republicans (I certainly do on many things) does not mean that they are "liberal". I disagree with many liberals on many things as well.

The other thing I do like is how technology obliterated certain NYC monopolies. Yellow cabs had monopolies, granted in part because each yellow cab paid one million for a medallion. Uber and Lyft obliterated that. NYC hotels paid corrupt Democrat officials to regulate things in their favor, yet they have not been able to defeat Airbnb. Oh and the corrupt taxi union upstate is being defeated by Uber and Lyft finally, as NYS will legalize ride sharing throughout the state this year.

Liberals tend to protect certain special interests from competition via government regulation(taxicabs, hotels) or by guilt (insisting we should by from a ****ty local business just because it's owned by locals). I am a free market person and will spend my money where I please, and I am against government regulations propping up failing business models (taxis, hotels, small businesses that can't keep up with the time, or even big companies that are poorly run)

Old 02-15-2017, 12:27 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,305,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Anyways, I don't see why some people here are so anti-immigrant. Are you willing to pick your fruits and vegetables for $2 an hour? If you want, "real americans" to go ahead and do that type of work, prepare to pay them unionized wages, and have the cost transferred onto your food bills. Same can be said about other products and services - like someone mentioned here about having to save up for a handy man. Yep, it's coming!

Most people who are anti immigration are really deep rooted racists who do not understand fully how the economy works and who themselves couldn't afford to pay a unionized American to pick their fruits and vegetables.

Heck, as an American, if were delivering food, I'd charge my employer at least $20 an hour for cold weather, physical exertion, overtime and lord knows what else!
As an immigrant myself and a self identified liberal I am anti illegal immigration.
Illegal immigration is not only detrimental to the society (depression of wages, loss of tax revenues, strain on social services etc) it is a system that highly exploits the illegal immigrants themselves.

A system of visas for temporary workers would be much more beneficial for all . It brings these workers out of the shadows. It would force employers to provide better working conditions. Allows the employees to properly pay tax deductions from wages. Gives them the opportunity to better access services that they should have been entitlede to such as workers compensation insurance coverage. This is needed because they are overly represented in industries that are labor intensive and have high rates of injuries.

It allows them to safely enter the united states with better background checks. Many people are smuggled via extremely inhumane conditions through the southern border. The ones that are smuggled through the airports are saddled with insurmountable debt. They are then forced to perform almost slave labor to pay off these smuggling fees. Their families are threatened. They are torn apart from their families. Often times one member of the family comes to the u.s and are unable to travel back to their home country due to their illegal status. Not to mention degenerate criminal individuals are able to become wealthy exploiting illegal immigrants by smuggling them here, selling them fake docs, promising to 'legalize' them while charging $3000 to file a $400 form.

Protesting would be best mobilised to get these people short term work permits. If we really cared about these family and their well beings we would try to improve their plight. Not fight for the right to keep them exploited.

There is strength in numbers and use of social media. Get the politicians to increase the number of yearly work visas available to these seasonal workers. Thousands come to the u.s every year to work as landscaper, pool cleaners/fixers, housekeepers, farm workers etc on legal visas and work permit. So it is already being done.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,333,559 times
I'm pro-illegal immigration. As long as not a penny of welfare is spent on them, and that they realize that they are indeed here illegally and have to live an undercover life as an American else they can be deported without hesitation. That means they must live the straight and narrow life, and work multiple jobs, for the greater good of their offspring. The harder it is for them the get here (building walls and travel bans), only means they have to try harder to sneak in. Let the strongest of them survive. But we can't be giving welfare to new arrivals if we can't even provide adequate resources for Black Americans.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,582,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm pro-illegal immigration. As long as not a penny of welfare is spent on them, and that they realize that they are indeed here illegally and have to live an undercover life as an American else they can be deported without hesitation. That means they must live the straight and narrow life, and work multiple jobs, for the greater good of their offspring. The harder it is for them the get here (building walls and travel bans), only means they have to try harder to sneak in. Let the strongest of them survive. But we can't be giving welfare to new arrivals if we can't even provide adequate resources for Black Americans.
So, in plain language, your against our Laws and only think the ones your agree with should be enforced. So you expect them to adhere to a "Honor" system, and not break any more Laws, after they break the one of Illegal entry to another Country? You are willing to take their word that they will not apply for Social Net Services if in a pinch, because they gave their word? So your OK with the "strongest" of the illegals doing away with the weaker ones, if thats what it takes for them to get here? Quite a System you dreamed up here.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
So, in plain language, your against our Laws and only think the ones your agree with should be enforced. So you expect them to adhere to a "Honor" system, and not break any more Laws, after they break the one of Illegal entry to another Country? You are willing to take their word that they will not apply for Social Net Services if in a pinch, because they gave their word? So your OK with the "strongest" of the illegals doing away with the weaker ones, if thats what it takes for them to get here? Quite a System you dreamed up here.
Of course any child that an illegal immigrant has is an US citizen, so any illegal immigrant could apply for medicaid, food stamps, WIC, and a host of other services for their CHILD.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Of course their US born children attend public school for free, are eligible for WIC, food stamps, medicaid, and a host of other programs. The parents may not be eligible, but the children certainly are.

Illegal immigrants indirectly can go to soup kitchens and eat, and soup kitchens are partially funded by SNAP, the food stamps program. Other social services programs such as free lawyers provided by the city for landlord tenant issues or credit issues are available to anyone in the public.

In short it's highly like that any illegal immigrant family is going to at some point use the welfare state.

I'm not an immigrant, but let's be real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City