Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
NYT is trash with this article and many others. Extreme commutes as they put it has been around a long time
The article's point is that it is a growing trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
The only trends that grow at the NYTimes are the ones underneathe their nailbeds. They are a disgusting lot of people so privileged that they can go around poking fun and critisizing everyone else. F them and the parents that guarantor their rents.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Google these tools that write this crap. they are NEVER even from here!

Old 08-02-2017, 10:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Hell, I have deer in my back yard too, and I'm doing half the commute even during Summer of Hell. No bald eagles but would you accept a bunch of buzzards? Only 1/3 acre but at least I get to see it now and then.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The article's point is that it is a growing trend.
writer is stupid because its been that way for at least 15 years. I remember people I met commuting from Poconos 15 years ago. The work at home trend (telecommute) has been around for over a decade. All this is very old news.

I have friends who lives on a variety of combination of acres of land, ocean front properties, rural land, and/or cheap properties. The first drawback is that the commute is usually far. No need to whine about it.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:16 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Long commutes are draining. I'd rather live in a studio and walk to work.

Anyways, I hear the Poconos is full of crime ever since NYCHA started some kind of tax program that allowed its tenants to live/ recreate at the Poconos.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
writer is stupid because its been that way for at least 15 years. I remember people I met commuting from Poconos 15 years ago. The work at home trend (telecommute) has been around for over a decade. All this is very old news.

I have friends who lives on a variety of combination of acres of land, ocean front properties, rural land, and/or cheap properties. The first drawback is that the commute is usually far. No need to whine about it.
Where did you get the idea that the article was whining about long commutes, as opposed to just reporting a trend?

Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Long commutes are draining. I'd rather live in a studio and walk to work.

Anyways, I hear the Poconos is full of crime ever since NYCHA started some kind of tax program that allowed its tenants to live/ recreate at the Poconos.
Link?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2017, 01:23 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Link?
I can't find the actual NYCHA article (that I remember reading - I think from the New York Times), but in the meantime, anyone who's interested can start reading below:

Buying a Piece of Hell | City Limits

Public housing tenants enjoy posh Poconos resort at taxpayer expense | New York Post

Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I can't find the actual NYCHA article (that I remember reading - I think from the New York Times), but in the meantime, anyone who's interested can start reading below:

Buying a Piece of Hell | City Limits

Public housing tenants enjoy posh Poconos resort at taxpayer expense | New York Post

So your saying that the Poconos is "full of crime" is really code for "full of minorities". From the first article:

"Like Brown, many here are part of a black and Latino migration from metro New York City that in the last decade tripled the ratio of minorities in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, near the Delaware Water Gap. As a result, the Stroudsburg area–almost lily white a generation ago–now boasts braiding salons, a Caribbean restaurant, and other amenities that once would have taken a trip to Harlem to find. The clientele are New York City municipal workers such as cops and transit workers, along with private-industry employees, who moved to the mountains looking for peace and quiet and big, cheap houses."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City