Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 AM

13 posts, read 22,011 times

Advertisements

I still havent received instructions on how to make changes to the CPD BOOKLET,(which I completed & submitted in Dec 2018) and who to submit the changes to. I emailed Ms. LINDA MALONEY yesterday, but have not gotten a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 25,575 times
Check your emails! I got a NYC Careers email to reconfirm pre-employment information in the notifications. I checked but I have no notifications. Did anyone else get a notification or didnt get one?

Last edited by EraObserver; 08-27-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 PM

41 posts, read 83,501 times
Hi Era,

I got the email as well and no notification when I logged in. Seems like they forgot to send / add the notifications. Fingers crossed they did it soon.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 19,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp1227 View Post
Hello everybody,

Has anyone been who has been hired as a provisional have any information on what it's like training/working as a PAA?

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Keep your head up and as always good luck to all!
I was a PAA and currently still working with the department under another title. The training, unless it’s undergone radical changes, it simply just does not prepare you for the precinct assignments. PAA get place in 3 spots....

Roll call department, they make the schedule for each tour. Keep track of officers days off, vacation and try to accommodate any request for a day off.

Payroll, responsible for cops paycheck

Front desk (what they call telephone switchboard) and report takers.

When I was at the academy they will tell you they would like everybody to get their feet wet at the telephone switchboard before going to the other units. For most it does not play out that way. I was one of the few (possibly the only) PAA in my class they readily be assigned the front desk. Every time I called the front desk of other precincts it was always a cop that picked up. And whenever they called my precinct and I picked up they were shocked to hear a civilian on the other end. But I spoke Spanish in a busy and predominantly Spanish precinct in queens. Your literally the first point of communication for the precinct. So it can definitely be overwhelming, so I was regularly assigned the front desk. But honestly I loved it, never a dull moment and the days went by quick. And you learn a lot because you literally must have answer for the various scenarios thrown your way.

Before transferring, I was being trained for roll call. And personally I did not like it. Cops would hold you responsible for not being able to grant them the day off (even though it was totally out of your control), day went by slower. Two cops would give you request for a day off for the same day, now your left needing to decide which gets a day off. Honestly that was way more pressure than dealing with the walk ins and the phone ringing non stop.

Most people in my class were assigned to the complaint room, which is simply taking reports for those who walk into the precinct and entering the reports the cops write up while on patrol. That I feel is a best position, it’s a nice steady stream of work but you don’t have to deal with the constant phone calls and many task the that the switch board operator (front desk) deals with. If anyone here gets assigned to the complaint room I would say, if you notice a line of people waiting to speak to the telephone switchboard (front desk) and the cop or civilian assigned the front desk is being overwhelm, don’t leave them to handle it by themselves. Step out and ask if anybody on line is picking up a report or needs to make a complaint. I use to do that and the cops were astounded (they were use to civilian employees who sought to just duenthe minimum). I never had to buy breaskfast or lunch while working at the precinct , lol.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:03 AM

Good morning NYFan718,

Thank you so much this information was very helpful!

Have a great day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymfan718 View Post
I was a PAA and currently still working with the department under another title. The training, unless it’s undergone radical changes, it simply just does not prepare you for the precinct assignments. PAA get place in 3 spots....

Roll call department, they make the schedule for each tour. Keep track of officers days off, vacation and try to accommodate any request for a day off.

When I was at the academy they will tell you they would like everybody to get their feet wet at the telephone switchboard before going to the other units. For most it does not play out that way. I was one of the few (possibly the only) PAA in my class they readily be assigned the front desk. Every time I called the front desk of other precincts it was always a cop that picked up. And whenever they called my precinct and I picked up they were shocked to hear a civilian on the other end. But I spoke Spanish in a busy and predominantly Spanish precinct in queens. Your literally the first point of communication for the precinct. So it can definitely be overwhelming, so I was regularly assigned the front desk. But honestly I loved it, never a dull moment and the days went by quick. And you learn a lot because you literally must have answer for the various scenarios thrown your way.

Before transferring, I was being trained for roll call. And personally I did not like it. Cops would hold you responsible for not being able to grant them the day off (even though it was totally out of your control), day went by slower. Two cops would give you request for a day off for the same day, now your left needing to decide which gets a day off. Honestly that was way more pressure than dealing with the walk ins and the phone ringing non stop.

Most people in my class were assigned to the complaint room, which is simply taking reports for those who walk into the precinct and entering the reports the cops write up while on patrol. That I feel is a best position, it’s a nice steady stream of work but you don’t have to deal with the constant phone calls and many task the that the switch board operator (front desk) deals with. If anyone here gets assigned to the complaint room I would say, if you notice a line of people waiting to speak to the telephone switchboard (front desk) and the cop or civilian assigned the front desk is being overwhelm, don’t leave them to handle it by themselves. Step out and ask if anybody on line is picking up a report or needs to make a complaint. I use to do that and the cops were astounded (they were use to civilian employees who sought to just duenthe minimum). I never had to buy breaskfast or lunch while working at the precinct , lol.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 AM

80 posts, read 199,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymfan718 View Post

Good morning to one and all,

Thank you so much for that advise, nymfan718; it's very much appreciated!

Hope you all enjoy your day!

Old 08-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Hey all,

Any updates on the email/notifications?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2019, 01:48 PM

Hey guys,

For those of you that got the email and no notification, if you received an email from nyc careers in the past where they provided a username and temporary password, you need to use the username they provided that time to log in, it should be a 7 digit number. The password should have been updated when you logged in the 1st time. Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:47 AM

28 posts, read 48,844 times
I still haven’t gotten an email and my interview was on 8/19. I got it when I went for the interview for provisional about a year ago.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 AM

80 posts, read 199,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersnow11 View Post
I still haven’t gotten an email and my interview was on 8/19. I got it when I went for the interview for provisional about a year ago.
Hey summersnow11,

Have you tried the forgot username and the forgot password links?

I ask this because if EmpireJay's statements holds true then you shod look into my suggestion.

Hope it helps!

I hope that everyone has a great day ahead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City