Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Just got back from Philly yesterday. Damn I felt like I was in Brooklyn back in the year 2003 lmao

The ghettos look more intimidating by look but are cool to walk around in. A lot of the rowhome look like they are on their last legs lmao.

But much respect to philly for keeping the rowhomes as part of their new developments. Unlike the tacky buildings nyc is putting up!
NYC's development in the poor neighborhoods often includes rowhomes, however they tend to be the terrible Fedders type. While Philly has the nice looking ones flush with the sidewalk!

And yeah, every time I go to Philly I walk around Fairhill and Cecil B Moore, super super hood yet cozy.

And it's crazy to me how NYC is such a nanny state, yet has not passed laws to prevent Fedders Houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:50 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC's development in the poor neighborhoods often includes rowhomes, however they tend to be the terrible Fedders type. While Philly has the nice looking ones flush with the sidewalk!

And yeah, every time I go to Philly I walk around Fairhill and Cecil B Moore, super super hood yet cozy.

And it's crazy to me how NYC is such a nanny state, yet has not passed laws to prevent Fedders Houses.
Maybe In the 80s through early 00s but now nyc is developing more buildings. Philly seems to also have a clear drug problem and it’s a lot of the white folks that look doped out!

Germantown gave me a 1989s vibe nite of empty store lots and I saw a giant bombed out factory building. Philly has lots of space to develop

Old 08-02-2018, 06:32 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
"Its no secret that Fishtown and Northern Liberties are two of the most rapidly gentrifying sections of Philadelphia. Back in 2014, the pair were likened to Brooklyn’s Williamsburg and Bushwick. And just a handful of months ago, NoLibs was ranked one of the nation’s Top 20 neighborhoods impacted by gentrification."

http://www.phillyvoice.com/fishtown-...hoods-country/

Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
We really discussing moving to Philly on here???

Ya'll have officially lost it.......

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We really discussing moving to Philly on here???

Ya'll have officially lost it.......
It’s the heat.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default I like Philadelphia, always have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Looks like the city of brotherly love is attracting increasing numbers of New Yorkers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html
Downtown Philly, unlike any other city in the US, has always reminded me of NYC whenever I've visited. The residential areas did not but they were more reasonably priced and the apartments are larger than the ones in NY. I can understand why Philly would attract NYers. I remember working at a publishing company in midtown in the early 2000's. One of my office mates relocated to Philly and commuted to work to midtown everyday via public transportation. I tried that once when my flight to NYC LGA kept being delayed during a layover in Philly. I took public transportation home to NYC. Worst mistake on my part. Public transportation from Philly to NYC was horrible. The train made a stop every 5 mins from Philly to Newark, NJ which meant the commute was 3 hours. Never again. And forget about driving on I-95 from NYC - Philly, you'll be nickel and dime to death with the tolls and the travel is crazy, unpredictable, and one accident can set you back hours.

However, the areas surrounding Philly are green, beautiful, and the people are much nicer and down to earth.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Downtown Philly, unlike any other city in the US, has always reminded me of NYC whenever I've visited. The residential areas did not but they were more reasonably priced and the apartments are larger than the ones in NY. I can understand why Philly would attract NYers. I remember working at a publishing company in midtown in the early 2000's. One of my office mates relocated to Philly and commuted to work to midtown everyday via public transportation. I tried that once when my flight to NYC LGA kept being delayed during a layover in Philly. I took public transportation home to NYC. Worst mistake on my part. Public transportation from Philly to NYC was horrible. The train made a stop every 5 mins from Philly to Newark, NJ which meant the commute was 3 hours. Never again. And forget about driving on I-95 from NYC - Philly, you'll be nickel and dime to death with the tolls and the travel is crazy, unpredictable, and one accident can set you back hours.

However, the areas surrounding Philly are green, beautiful, and the people are much nicer and down to earth.
You're better off taking the Greyhound bus

Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're better off taking the Greyhound bus
2nd that. Megabus or Bolt. 2 hours. Easy peasy.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:48 PM

81 posts, read 179,988 times
Philadelphia is like a grittier NYC, culturally it reminds me of 1990s NY. But demographically speaking, NYC is more like Boston than Philly. Philly is just not that diverse (compared to NYC, neither is Boston but Boston is much more diverse than Philly in my opinion), Philly is also more segregated and more dangerous compared to modern day NYC and Boston.

With the black population, Philadelphia is much much more American Black with a very small West Indian/African community, and Philly American Blacks remind me of the Old School American Blacks in NJ/NYC. Compare that to NYC and Boston, where now over half the blacks are West Indian/African. And with the Hispanic/Latino population, the vast majority of Philly Latinos are Puerto Rican, there is a small growing number of Dominicans and Mexicans, but Ricans are not only much larger but still growing very fast. Compare that to NYC and Boston, where the Latino population is more diverse and Dominicans are now the largest among Latinos, Puerto Ricans are relatively stagnant and much smaller to 1960s-90s numbers when they were the majority, also large numbers of Mexicans, Central/South American groups.

The Latino and black unity in southwest Boston reminds me of the Bronx, where Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and African Americans share neighborhoods. While the Latino and black segregation in North Philadelphia remind me of Brooklyn specifically Bushwick/BedStuy area. I would also add Center City Philly reminds me alot of Downtown Brooklyn, I almost have to remind myself Im not in NY when walking aroundthat area.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaribenoEast View Post
Philadelphia is like a grittier NYC, culturally it reminds me of 1990s NY. But demographically speaking, NYC is more like Boston than Philly. Philly is just not that diverse (compared to NYC, neither is Boston but Boston is much more diverse than Philly in my opinion), Philly is also more segregated and more dangerous compared to modern day NYC and Boston.

With the black population, Philadelphia is much more African American with a very small West Indian/African community. Compare that to NYC and Boston, where over half the blacks are West Indian/African. And with the Hispanic/Latino population, the vast majority of Philly Latinos are Puerto Rican, there is a small growing number of Dominicans and Mexicans, but Ricans are not only much larger but still growing very fast. Compare that to NYC and Boston, where the Latino population is more diverse and Dominicans are the largest among Latinos, Puerto Ricans are relatively stagnant and much smaller to 1960s-90s numbers when they were the majority, also large numbers of Mexicans, Central/South American groups.

The Latino and black unity in southwest Boston reminds me of the Bronx, where Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and African Americans share neighborhoods. While the Latino and black segregation in North Philadelphia remind me of Brooklyn specifically Bushwick/BedStuy area. I would also add Center City Philly reminds me alot of Downtown Brooklyn, I almost have to remind myself Im not in NY when walking aroundthat area.
Proof that NYC's black populatiom is over half West Indian/African?

And lower Bushwick seems to be mixed black/Latino the way the West and South Bronx are. Upper Bushwick however is not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City