Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Because there are more non-White people here than Whites. It doesn't really make sense to put all non-White people under the umbrella term minority anymore. At least in NYC it doesn't really make sense anymore. But hey there are those that like using it because it's a convenient way to group people and because they can use the argument that those groups still fall under the minority category for other reasons.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers
NowOrNever, are you old enough to remember when every car on a street was broken into with its contents strewn all over? Or the signs in the window that said "NO RADIO"?

Have you ever heard of the terms "Wilding" or Wolfpack"?

How about when you couldn't stop at a traffic light in a deserted neighborhood for fear of getting carjacked?

Or bombarded by sqeegie-men who spit on your window, then put a dirt tee-shirt to it & demanded money?

Or accosted us on the subway by aggressive panhandlers... in EVERY CAR?

Do you remember Bernie Goetz?

These situations did not magically disappear over time, they were addressed by the men & women of the NYPD.
I agree

In 2005, 44% of the population was identified as white. 25.3% of the population was black or African American, 11.6% was Asian and 0.4% were American Indian. Another 17% belonged to other racial categories -wikipeda

Last edited by BXGEAR; 05-19-2008 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
These situations did not magically disappear over time, they were addressed by the men & women of the NYPD. They were allowed to address them by City Hall when Giuliani picked Bill Bratton as commissioner.
Check your dates. The decline was well under way during the Ray Kelly's first go-round as commish, under Dinkins. Giuliani (with Bratton) rode the wave and insisted that anything good in the world was born the day he took his oath of office as Mayor.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Major felonies may have dropped a bit at the end of the Dinkins administration but the quality of life issues, such as the ones I listed before, were still alive & well. Dinkins/Kelly did absolutely nothing to inspire the members of the department to get out & clean it up.

Don't get me wrong, Giuliani would take credit for the sun coming up every morning if he thought he would get away with it. And I am not a staunch supporter of his administration either. Other than Bratton I would question many of his choices for commissioners & departmental heads.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
The bottom line is...crime is still at 40 year lows for NYC...not since 1969 have we seen these low levels of crime, as well as growth and investment. The slight increase in crime, and it is a slight increase, is a normal variation...the long term trend is what matters..and crime is on a steady decline. Alot of hype with percentages and scary words like "skyrockets" but the fact remains..crime is at historic lows..and contues to be so...don't believe the hype! The city has not been this safe or livable in 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City