Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 01:25 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Opinion:
A family with three children living comfortably in a safe neighborhood in New York City for under $75K a year?
Excluding Health Insurance,children's' tuition etc...... not happening. The children will suffer without some sort
of supplemental assistance provided by the city ,state or government. This would conclude Bad Parenting.
In New York it's either Either Cash or Trash....................You either make it or get thrown out.........

Old 12-23-2019, 01:28 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
It can be done, but you wont be saving much..

3 kids, need a 3 br at least.$2800+ housing

Public school free$

Bjs,costco,walmart for food

And clothing the same, or old navy comes in the clutch.

Used car,use public transport for work

Eat out twice a month.

You will do better on $100k per year.

Don't let anyone stop you from having kids and a family. It gets expensive during Christmas or if flying.
Opinion:
I would ask anyone who grew up with little how it
had affected them emotionally and physically today.
You would be surprised. Proper parenting is not only
based around a loving family.Parental Financial obligations
play a big part within the nucleus of any family.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:56 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Maybe two or three kids, solid and cheap health care, only one parent working so no day care, and either a cheap car or easily accessible to the subway.
Well, the cost difference between two and three kids can be pretty significant. The solid and cheap healthcare was part of what I think might make it work--if you have good job security with a job that has both a great healthcare package and pension/retirement package, then it could be comfortable enough along with a spouse who can economize (vast majority meals at home) and can manage childcare to not have to pay for daycare. That's certainly livable, especially since that spouse can ostensibly also find a job once the kids are old enough to not need as much supervision. No cheap car though for the most part--cars are a large financial drain and cheap cars often come back and bite you.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-23-2019 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-23-2019, 02:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
On 75K? Not hard at all, as long as you luck into a decent rent space. More luck than anything

Old 12-23-2019, 03:23 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
The boomers commenting obviously don't shop at any stores in NYC then. The truth is that retail wages (even with the mininum wage raise) do not offset transportation costs. Sure housing is cheaper the farther out you go, but then you have to pay for LIRR or Metro-North which is hundreds a month (on top of the Metrocard). So even if the poor move out, who will be there to ring up the boomers' prescriptions?

So out of touch. Bless their hearts. Happy Holidays.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-23-2019, 05:45 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
A family with three children living comfortably in a safe neighborhood in New York City for under $75K a year?
Excluding Health Insurance,children's' tuition etc...... not happening. The children will suffer without some sort
of supplemental assistance provided by the city ,state or government. This would conclude Bad Parenting.
In New York it's either Either Cash or Trash....................You either make it or get thrown out.........
I will agree with three kids on that salary you may need some kind of government assistance in some form (whether housing assistance, health insurance, etc.), in NYC.
If one feels that is parenting kids adequately then....ok

I think on that salary you can afford to rent a 1 bedroom or MAYBE a 2 bedroom apartment in an old building in a far-outer borough neighborhood. So your family will be a bit crowded.
Yes, possibly a Russian neighborhood (they tend to be cheaper but still relatively safe).

Can you survive? Sure, lots of New Yorkers do.
But thrive? Enjoy living here?
Not sure.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:46 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The boomers commenting obviously don't shop at any stores in NYC then. The truth is that retail wages (even with the mininum wage raise) do not offset transportation costs. Sure housing is cheaper the farther out you go, but then you have to pay for LIRR or Metro-North which is hundreds a month (on top of the Metrocard). So even if the poor move out, who will be there to ring up the boomers' prescriptions?

So out of touch. Bless their hearts. Happy Holidays.
Plenty of far out neighborhoods are on the subway and bus lines

Old 12-23-2019, 06:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times
Huh people live with 3-4 kids in 1 bedroom apartment all the time.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Yeah, I am arguing that you can't be a quality parent OF THREE KIDS on $75k, which funds also have to support two adults - not in most US cities, not remotely in NYC. I don't have to have kids (and will not ever have them - at the age of almost 60 I can say that with certainty :-) to be aware of what kids need, since I had been a kid for the whole first 18 years of my life.
Most Americans do not live in expensive cities. Of course you can be a quality parent on 75k. Actually a lot of the professionals in NYC who work long hours (and who earn six digits) may not be quality parents because they are always working and are not available to emotionally support their children. You cannot be such a great parent if you have to pay someone else to take care of all the parenting duties.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Plenty of far out neighborhoods are on the subway and bus lines
So show OP rent prices then

Around my way market rate is $2000 for a decent 3 bedroom

That's why my response was yes but you will be living in close quarters

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City