Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,881,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I just spoke to my doctor at Mt Sinai. It looks like I'm going to have ot wait to take a Covid-19 test especially since I show no symtoms.

What makes this worse for the NYC area is this. Allergy season is still around, and flu season is coming to an end. Symtpoms for both ailement are similar to that of Covid and this can flood ER's, doctors offices and Urgent care facilities.
The rest of this year is going to be rough. I don't even know if I'll bother trying to get my annual physical blood work until the fall.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM

14,046 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I just spoke to my doctor at Mt Sinai. It looks like I'm going to have ot wait to take a Covid-19 test especially since I show no symtoms.

What makes this worse for the NYC area is this. Allergy season is still around, and flu season is coming to an end. Symtpoms for both ailement are similar to that of Covid and this can flood ER's, doctors offices and Urgent care facilities.

2009 H1N1 influenza summer activity peaked in the United States during May and June. It not slowing down in summer until their effective drug or care.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-timeline.html

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/n...om-swine-flu#1

Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I'll let you in on a little secret, we missed early stage lock down a month ago. It's too far spread now for that to have an effect.
False, it will have a massive effect, more than half of casualties avoided.

Cant't avoid what's already coming but it can be made so much worse

Old 03-24-2020, 12:06 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
You say this based on what? It isn't working in Italy. They locked down three weeks before us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
False, it will have a massive effect, more than half of casualties avoided.

Cant't avoid what's already coming but it can be made so much worse

Old 03-24-2020, 12:08 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Fight smart not hard...

Put that energy from the gun on your hip and redirect it into researching where you need to move and what protective gear you should be acquiring to protect you and your family from pathogens. Not People.
What do you think, I’m on the range every day right now trying to acquire a new skill? Lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
And what the hell are you doing in NYC? Seems like a strange place to be for someone like you.
$$$$$$$$$$

...and family.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-24-2020, 12:11 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Default Great Link

Here is a great link to a constantly updated covid tracking site where you can click to see maps of where cases are and where deaths have occurred . You can also see the daily increase graphs of all countries affected.

Hint: the graph for the U.S is way worse than any country so far. It is shooting almost straight up rapidly. There is little doubt that probably within a week we will become the world center of infection, zooming past China and Italy.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Old 03-24-2020, 12:15 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
You say this based on what? It isn't working in Italy. They locked down three weeks before us.
Based on simple mathematics, and the fact that less to no interaction with others leads to little or no new transmissions

Italians didn't really lock down 3 weeks ago either, only certain cities in the North - and even there it was ignored by many people who kept going to restaurants & parties

Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Actually, there are indications the curve is bending in Italy now. They started to lock down 3 weeks ago but like us didn't take it too seriously at first. They have only been really locked down for 2 weeks now and it is starting to show. Our trajectory is going in the opposite direction . It is steepening( rather than bending) almost straight upward at a very rapid pace . We have yet to institute a serious lockdown here like those in Italy,Spain U.K.etc

You can compare the trajectories of various countries here:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Our trajectory is by far the worst so far...even worse than China's was.

If we had actually done a hard lockdown of most of the country 2 weeks or 3 weeks ago we would be on the other side of this now. Instead we are probably at least 3 to 4 weeks from peak.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-24-2020 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 12:34 PM

62 posts, read 36,812 times
Default NYPD: Social distancing

How can the NYPD safely enforce true social distancing ?

> Most of them are riding with their partners in a Ford explorer SUV. The distance between the driver and the passenger is below 6 ft. They do not wear any gloves or surgical masks.

> If anyone or group actually defies social distancing they cannot effectuate an arrest because that is in direct conflict with social distancing. Or social distancing makes one immune to arrest. Confusing.....

Passing a New York City civil service test doesnt make you immune to biological viruses.

The NYPD dont follow what the Governor of the State of New York or The Mayor of New York City say for every citizen to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City