Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The US presidential elections? We're just barely short of phase 1 start criteria on paper, but you actually think we're going to miss the mark or something? Is this predicated on a lot of idiotic behavior conducive to spreading the virus this weekend and over the summer?
This is predicated on the changing goal posts which I’m increasingly believing are tied to the political goals of our terrible governor.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is predicated on the changing goal posts which I’m increasingly believing are tied to the political goals of our terrible governor.
I see. That'd be pretty wild since he needs his political donors to make money and a lot of them aren't. REBNY folks are one of his biggest backers and this pause is probably screwing them over. Maybe Cuomo doesn't want money, to be elected, or a very cushion post-election job, but then what would he be after? Rebirth as the Dalai Lama? Maybe you've got some private information on this. Are you a relative of his?

Old 05-25-2020, 05:55 AM

Written in a cheeky manner, but as is typical nowadays when confronted with an opposing view you chose to go with hints of stupidity and an appeal to the absurd.

So I'll do the same: if you think Cuomo needs loads of money to win his elections in NY, you must not have lived here for the last 2 where he his opponents were nothing more than sacrificial lambs. Besides, those who donate to such endeavors are not waiting on unemployment checks...

As for being a member of his family, I would kill myself if that was the case. Nothing more to say on that one.

There is no logical reason to keep NY closed any longer. The data exists on multiple fronts now to prove that it's far worse than opening with some restrictions and protections for those who are at risk. This is a virus that is dangerous to very specific segments of the population.

The only reason certain states' governors are hell-bent on destroying the economy is to facilitate what the impeachment process couldn't.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-25-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Written in a cheeky manner, but as is typical nowadays when confronted with an opposing view you chose to go with hints of stupidity and an appeal to the absurd.

So I'll do the same: if you think Cuomo needs loads of money to win his elections in NY, you must not have lived here for the last 2 where he his opponents were nothing more than sacrificial lambs. Besides, those who donate to such endeavors are not waiting on unemployment checks...

As for being a member of his family, I would kill myself if that was the case. Nothing more to say on that one.

There is no logical reason to keep NY closed any longer. The data exists on multiple fronts now to prove that it's far worse than opening with some restrictions and protections for those who are at risk. This is a virus that is dangerous to very specific segments of the population.

The only reason certain states' governors are hell-bent on destroying the economy is to facilitate what the impeachment process couldn't.
Definitely written in a cheeky manner, point's still made.

He doesn't just need loads of money to win the election--he might wants loads of money to have loads of money. Is there any particular strong reason to believe that Cuomo and his administration is not a fan of having more money rather than having less?

I'd think the better thing if part of Cuomo's family is to prevent him from running for office in the first place. He's simply not someone I'd want to have as an elected official, and if he were a family member of mine, then I wouldn't do something illegal, but short of that, I'd try to stop him from being an official with any power. Maybe butter him up and try to convince him he really needs to dedicate himself to writing that Great American Novel or something.

NYS is gradually reopening--I agree with you that state policy is a bit overcautious. My other major gripe aside from is that there isn't a clearly explained metric for what constitutes a need for re-closing and what re-closing signifies since that's bad for business planning. You're on the government payroll, so that doesn't affect you as strongly, but I operate a business.

As unhappy with the governor (and all three levels of government from here has been disappointing to say the least) as I am, it still doesn't make sense to ascribe motivations to him that do not make much sense. It's also needless misinformation to say that the city won't even enter phase I until November without more information and strictly for political gain (though admittedly, it's possible we get hit by some other disaster before then). What are you going to do if we do hit phase I before then? You seem pretty quick to sacrifice either yourself or your family in writing on things, but hopefully you can come up with maybe a milder response. How about you agree to read Robert Caro's The Power Broker and write a 1,000 word review in earnest within a month after a phase I NYC reopening?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-25-2020 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 06:27 AM

Why should I do a book report to appease you that my opinions are valid?

The fact that my paycheck has been steady throughout yet I still see through the BS going on right now should be a positive point. I’m still encountering government workers who (like me) have actually benefitted from this situation who easily agree with and help enforce this crap while those around us who aren’t getting paid suffer. The longer this continues the larger my bank account grows. Next I’m getting thousands in EBT money for my kids. It’s ludicrous. Open Up!!!

There’s no logical explanation for Cuomo’s and Diblasio’s continued insistence upon extending the closures and demanding more government money other than politics. The data doesn’t support their decisions anymore. It made sense when we didn’t know. It made some sense when data was light. It doesn’t make sense now except to extort federal bailouts while destroying “Trump’s economy” during a re-election year.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Why should I do a book report to appease you that my opinions are valid?

The fact that my paycheck has been steady throughout yet I still see through the BS going on right now should be a positive point. I’m still encountering government workers who (like me) have actually benefitted from this situation who easily agree with and help enforce this crap while those around us who aren’t getting paid suffer. The longer this continues the larger my bank account grows. Next I’m getting thousands in EBT money for my kids. It’s ludicrous. Open Up!!!

There’s no logical explanation for Cuomo’s and Diblasio’s continued insistence upon extending the closures and demanding more government money other than politics. The data doesn’t support their decisions anymore. It made sense when we didn’t know. It made some sense when data was light. It doesn’t make sense now except to extort federal bailouts while destroying “Trump’s economy” during a re-election year.
You didn't state an opinion in terms of a personal preference. You stated an opinion as a prediction of something that's going to happen. That's a concrete thing. You're so sure of it, then wager something easy and concrete. It should be easy to prove or disprove--there's a firm deadline for it and the action is explicit. It's just putting your money where your mouth is. Besides, the worst that happens is that you read a pretty good and well-researched book which, while pretty narrow in its reach, does kind of highlight the processes by which the NYC/NYS government sausages get made (at least historically).

It's hard to follow your logic for why you having a paycheck is a positive point for why NYC won't even go into the first phase of reopening until 2020 elections in November or why you not having the stress of making money makes it easier for you to support reopening. I'm maybe a bit slow on this one, so you'll have to walk me through that.

I think the virus might be a good enough reason for why this happened with the 24K excess in deaths over a seven week period over the seasonal average for the city and a 4X death rate despite people being locked down. Lockdowns aren't specific to the US. It's a rather global pandemic. We also wouldn't be the first ones in the world to make a gradual reopening after being hard hit either and the data thus far shows a gradual reopening seems to be alright--it's possibly better than having to lockdown again or have a massive flareup which would have a chance of eroding consumer confidence even more. Is it better than going as fast as possible without having a flareup? No, but that's not really easily predictable.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-25-2020 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 07:13 AM

You mentioned my paycheck, for seemingly no reason other than to point out that I am getting paid. I countered that even though I am getting paid, I am still against this lockdown. It’s very easy for those of us not being financially impacted (or even benefitting from it) to either remain complicit or outright support the lockdown while others suffer.

Not to mention, government workers might not even be the ones benefitting the most. My wife is making more on unemployment and the federal $600 bump than she made working. I know she’s not unique.

So my point was that no matter how much the continued lockdown benefits my bottom line, it’s still wrong and I want to see it ended. Now. Because the data no longer supports it.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You mentioned my paycheck, for seemingly no reason other than to point out that I am getting paid. I countered that even though I am getting paid, I am still against this lockdown. It’s very easy for those of us not being financially impacted (or even benefitting from it) to either remain complicit or outright support the lockdown while others suffer.

Not to mention, government workers might not even be the ones benefitting the most. My wife is making more on unemployment and the federal $600 bump than she made working. I know she’s not unique.

So my point was that no matter how much the continued lockdown benefits my bottom line, it’s still wrong and I want to see it ended. Now. Because the data no longer supports it.
I see. By that same token, if someone who is hurting from the lockdown says a phased reopening is what makes sense, then they get more weight then. Got it.

I also want the lockdown ended. At the same time think you saying that we aren't going to hit phase I until after the November elections seems to come out of nowhere and doesn't see likely. That's about half a year away and that's a lot of wealthy NYC donors losing out on money and a lot of state revenue being lost for something where even with the arguably overly cautious guidelines, NYC is pretty close to hitting. That somehow made sense to you and you want to argue it, except when you back up from it and say that's just an opinion though it's a statement that's going to be either actually true or false. So what happens if you're wrong then? Would you think over how you got to making that prediction? How about take a wager and risk reading a book that's a bit about the messiness of NYS government processes?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-25-2020 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Backing up? Of course it's my opinion. It's not much of a stretch to assume that anyone reading what I wrote would know that immediately.

I never imagined I'd have to preface my more conspiracy minded posts like Mr. Retired does...

I don't have to read a book to know how messy NY's political situation is and always has been. We live it. I don't know your story, but I have for my whole life. If what I said doesn't come to pass, it will most likely be because the idiots in charge here were forced to do otherwise either through non-compliance, lack of enforcement, or the fed stepping in. None of which would change my OPINION that their current goal with this lockdown is to destroy Trump's re-election odds.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Backing up? Of course it's my opinion. It's not much of a stretch to assume that anyone reading what I wrote would know that immediately.

I never imagined I'd have to preface my more conspiracy minded posts like Mr. Retired does...
You made a prediction for something that's going to be true or not without much wiggle room for caveats and qualifications. I'm saying it seems pretty irrational to me and why that is, and if you'd like to wager something on it. Pretty straightforward and you're backing out of it which is what Mr. Retired does--he just says random stuff regardless of whether it makes sense or not. Doesn't make what he says any more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City