Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 05:07 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.
You hate this City cause you contemplate everything that is wrong with it and talk all day with people who hate it. It's a pattern of behaviour that even if you move to heaven on earth you will eventually hate and complain about that too. Just saying. Hating is a choice. A bad one. I love the City and despite also considering leaving too, I will always miss it. Love and hate are both choices. Or worse you will move and continue to post here about how bad the City is and how good you got it there. You ever wonder about the lives that the regulars here who do that here have ?

Last edited by bxlover; 04-23-2020 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 05:39 AM

I am sure the City will see people leave. But consider how well the people by and large have been. You have dumb and psychopaths who will do their worst of course. Yet, when this started you had the usual subjects venting their fears about marauding teenagers and wide scale violence and attacks. So far any of that ? Who knows what will happen ? But doom and gloom I don't know. What gives the City is glow is that people come here looking for a new start mix with hungry and native New Yorkers who love the place. Those who leave are replaced that's not new. I may leave because this quarantined City feels like a different place now. Less traffic, cleaner air, quieter streets. It's like N.Y. is Tornoto now. I may move to a smaller City where this is perpetual. But I love NYC

Old 04-23-2020, 05:42 AM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
We all have a love/hate relationship with this place. The older you get, the more you hate it. Everything that has made this place great in the past is closed, gone, dead. What currently makes nyc stand out? The answer is NOTHING.

Last edited by manimgarbage; 04-23-2020 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
We all have a love/hate relationship with this place. The older you get, the more you hate it. Everything that has made this place great in the past is closed, gone, dead. Question for everyone: what currently makes nyc stand out? The answer is NOTHING.
Would you say the same thing to residents of Venice, Florence, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, etc. All great Cities have their down side. The older some get the more crotchety, the more inclined to pessism some people indeed get. But not everyone.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Would you say the same thing to residents of Venice, Florence, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, etc. All great Cities have their down side. The older some get the more crotchety, the more inclined to pessism some people indeed get. But not everyone.
We flew back to NYC last June after spending time in London, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid. In comparison with these cities, we found NYC to be so dirty, and the people so diverse and second class. LaGuardia Airport was just simply dismal in appearance even though they're trying to upgrade it.

I told my wife, NYC is just a big nasty place, and I have no interest in visiting again. I have no idea how so many people put up with the shortcomings--including back breaking taxation.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:18 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
You hate this City cause you contemplate everything that is wrong with it and talk all day with people who hate it. It's a pattern of behaviour that even if you move to heaven on earth you will eventually hate and complain about that too. Just saying. Hating is a choice. A bad one. I love the City and despite also considering leaving too, I will always miss it. Love and hate are both choices. Or worse you will move and continue to post here about how bad the City is and how good you got it there. You ever wonder about the lives that the regulars here who do that here have ?
You read me very wrong, sorry.

I hate this city because it deserves it. I travel outside of the city A LOT, intentionally to get away. I spend a lot of time on the NJ shore at various homes of family and a lot of time upstate at a family cabin. I've also lived outside of the city for a few years before I settled down. Every vacation I've taken in recent years except for maybe 1 or 2 has been geared towards exploring new areas for possible relocation.

I'm not the constant complainer you think I am because of my posts about the city. My financial house is WELL in order, my kids are excelling, I have a career that I've done extremely well in which I could retire from now if I wanted to. My family and friends circles are very close with near zero drama, ever. My interests keep me extremely occupied outside of work and I don't really have much to complain about at work either. The only bad influence in my life is this city which I chose to remain in only for financial reasons.

You love the city, which is why you might think others who don't are complainers in general who would do the same anywhere. Maybe so for some, but not me. My dream in life is to live in a house with hunting lands directly behind it. Where I can walk straight outside my back door and do the stuff I love to do, rather than be surrounded by a bunch of things that everyone else likes to do as I am currently here in the city.

As far as still posting here, you'll see. The only example I can offer would be the Army. It is a major facet of my life which I left behind years ago and you'd never find me on Army social media groups and such posting because I couldn't care less about the Army anymore. I don't post in the Colorado forums where I previously lived, I don't even post in the NJ forum, a state I hunt in regularly and have half my family living in as I said earlier.

Once I leave this city I will occasionally return to visit what's left of my family and that's it. There's not a single thing otherwise I can think of that I'd have interest in returning for.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 06:19 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
We all have a love/hate relationship with this place. The older you get, the more you hate it. Everything that has made this place great in the past is closed, gone, dead. Question for everyone: what currently makes nyc stand out? The answer is NOTHING.
The number of deaths and infections.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 06:40 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Keep saying that and I have a bridge to sell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a39RX7zRZTU

Old 04-23-2020, 06:44 AM

Same old people with the same old song and dance. If that is what makes you happy I will leave you to it.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:01 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
NYC has become a ghoulish Hell Hole everyone I talk to is looking to leave ASAP or whenever they get the chance to get there financial situation straightened. I am talking about people who own homes not renters . It’s a sad situation
Yeah. Same here. Know some people who have already left or seriously considering leaving. They've had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City